1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supercharger????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by striker308, Mar 6, 2014.

1. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone tried one of these to see what it would do in a hybrid?

I remember making something like this when I was a kid for a Spitfire I had. I didnt notice any more power that I recall but I did see a little better fuel mileage. Now I tried that on a carborated 1976 Spitfire back in 1988 when gas wasnt an arm and a leg so I never tried the idea agian. (not that it looked as pretty anyway)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you do a search, iirc, a few have made this succesful mod for increased hp and mpg's.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The new Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX60 comes in a hybrid variant. Instead of a 3.5L V6 it has a 2.5L 4 cylinder (Atkinson Cycle) with a supercharger. It's a mild hybrid so it runs the engine for a/c and heat (yes, dumb on their part IMO) but it does do 25 in the city/27 on the highway and for pushing a something like 4700 pound vehicle performs like the V6 model.

I've driven one and was pleased with power from a 4 cylinder in a vehicle of that size and the mpg's again, for a vehicle that large.

Now, how a supercharger would really help a Prius... I just don't think it'd be necessary in a Prius application.