1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Support Thread for Speed Lock Override sold in the PC Shop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cproaudio, Oct 8, 2011.

?
  1. Yes I want to bypass that damn speed lock.

87.6%
  2. No, It'll be worst than texting while driving.

1.2%
  3. No, but I still wanna see how it's done.

10.3%
  4. I don't see a reason listed so I'll list mine own.

0.9%
  1. khoakhoa

khoakhoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Is this confirmed for the 2012 Plugin Prius (PIP) ?

It appears it would be the V3V Version for the 7 inch Premium HDD towards the Advance Model

2. Cvk14

Cvk14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    purchased a V3 this AM, since when i start the damn car, it tells me voice recog. is not available, so either stop by the side of the road and enter the address/poi, or install this mod...

color me excited to do my first mod!

3. pacohaas

pacohaas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For whatever reason (system booting?) I get the same thing for the first 10-30 seconds. Just wait a little longer and you should be able to use voice commands. Unfortunately the time you want to use it is usually right when you start the car, so this is kinda annoying.

4. Cvk14

Cvk14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    exactly... its also road trip season, and the copilot needs access to these options when the pilot is driving. :)

5. Cvk14

Cvk14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got the item, and decided against my better judgement (sun was setting, bad lighting) to install it. just because I was excited to do my first mod. As a Ham Radio Operator, I consider myself to be confident with the level of knowledge required for this mod, which is really little, to be honest.

the install went well, 45 minutes, due to my own fear and need to be slow and methodical. the instructions were spot on.

question tho. during the test mode, when i engage the mod, it shows 0 KM/H as the speed. whereas your instructions say 2-8 KM/H. should i be worried? it seems to work as intended.

consider me another happy customer. Money well spent in my book!

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The initial batch of the V1 used 78k ohm for R2 that yield 2-4km/h of simulated speed. All the overrides with options use 1M ohm resistor for R2 to simulate as close to 0km/h as possible. Any speed under 8 km/h will enable the override. V1 will eventually use 1m ohm resistor once the initial batch is sold out. Both value of resistors will override the speed lock the same way with same amount of delay. The difference is that on map view, the bypass using 78k resistor will show the position creeping forward slowly if the bypass is left on long enough while the bypass using 1m ohm resistor will not. It will eventually but it'll take 13 times longer.
    The instructions were written before switching over to 1M ohm resistors. I'm glad the installation went smooth for you.

7. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to do the install in a PiP. I accidentally hit the power button and now have the Check Hybrid System, how do I clear that?

Should the switch light actually turn on? Afraid the T-Taps are not getting power.

8. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you power up the Prius with the shifter bezel disconnected, the check hybrid system warning will display. You'll have to disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reset the light and to reset the code. If you're sure that you have good connection for the power at the cigarette lighter plug, check the cigarette lighter fuse. Every override is tested after being built and tested again before I send it off. Once it gets power it will work.

9. colbyqwerty

colbyqwerty New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi actually a 2012 Tundra owner and found your bypass files while searching for a less expensive alternative to those crazy overpriced modules out there. I actually just finished my harness and have a few questions regarding tuning the pots. Firstly, where do i start!!! OK did i give it away that I don't have any electrical background at all! Nevertheless my harness looks great but I do need some detailed instructions of where to begin in getting 4hz to pop up on my multimeter (yes borrowed!) Thanks cpro for your hard work

10. guicide

guicide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another satisfied customer here:p . Took 1:50 to install. 2012 3rd Gen 3 with solar. I also mistakenly powered up with gear lever disconnected. Got the Hybrid System msg. After connecting the lever, turning car on and off 3 times in a row cleared it.

Thank you cproaudio.

11. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have a way to visualize the signal? I use LED lights. You can see them on the video at the bottom of the first post. If the build is correctly done, R2 resistor can be anything greater than 39k ohms. I am currently using 78k ohms which results 1.95hz. I'd recommend 100k ohm resistor. My original build was using pots so I can adjust the frequency. I have since switch to single value resistor. You can multimeter to measure the frequency but I don't think measuring the voltage using AC will register the frequency since it's such slow frequency.

12. crazyjeys

crazyjeys Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    problem resolved! :)

13. Bob Chaffee

Bob Chaffee New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

A question on the install instructions:

To install the switch for the V1 (or any other variant), the instructions just say to remove the knee bolster. How does one do that??? I think I can follow the rest, but that part seems more than a bit too vague.

I have the kit, and I am thinking of doing a video of the install.

14. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you edit your post to according to the installation instruction or the FAQ instead of quoting the whole FAQ.
    The knee bolster can be removed by removing the lower plastic door rail then removing the kickpanel then unscrew a Philips screw then the knee bolster can be pulled off the dash. You can undo the hood release if you want but it's not necessary.

15. basket case

basket case New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got a V1 and installed it in my 2012 Prius IV.

The good news is that it works as advertised.

However, I must say that the instructions are not easy to follow for the average person. To wit:

• The first step, opening the cigarette lighter panel, requires you to put your thumb in the lighter socket. However, my thumb did not fit in the socket. I had to improvise.
    • Taking apart the dash was fairly easy, but I think a pry tool is really the best way to do this.
    • The connectors used to hook up the product to the VSS cable are crap. I ultimately had to go out and buy new connectors better suited for narrow gauge wires. Same goes for the T-Taps.
    • The instructions are are times specific, and and at times vague. For example, the instructions say to remove the lower glove box to thread a wire, but offer no hint as to how to do this. Same with the knee bolster and left side switch plate. The seller needs to seriously rethink the instructions to suit average people.
    • The trouble shooting is abysmal. The first trouble shooting instruction starts out saying "if you have an oscilloscope" .... sure I do, right next to my atom splitter. Seriously? And, the instructions go downhill from there. Thank gawd it worked the first time.
    So in the end I am glad I bought it and got it to work, but it was a real PITA to do the install with flawed instructions and cheapo connectors.

16. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First, thank you for buying the bypass from me. It really helped compensate for the countless hours I spent researching, understanding the vehicle speed signal and building a bypass that works. Since this forums does not allow donations, buying the bypass from me through the Priuschat shop is like making a donation to me. You donate the asking price. You get a bypass already made. The site gets a cut of that donation to help pay for the servers. I get the rest for the time I spent researching and making the bypass. Everybody wins.
    I admit that the instruction is not as detailed as it should be. I only had a limited time to put the instructions together and upload it here so other early adapters would have a guideline to follow for their override installation. I haven't installed the bypass since the first couple of test vehicles so I couldn't rewrite the instruction. Anyone is welcomed to make their own installation instruction and upload it here. anewhouse did an excellent job of making an instruction for the Prius v.
    I realize the connectors I included in the package is not the best but it's a mean to get the installation done. The type of crimpers used also determine the integrity of the crimp. A Channellock 909 will do a better crimping job than a Radio Shack 64-076. Soldering and heat shrinking would've been a better and cleaner method. As I've stated before, this is not a plug and play bypass. The installation procedure can be overwhelming if you don't have any kind of installation background. Many people that have bought the bypass chose to have it installed professionally and paid upwards of $100 for the service.
    In the end, I'm glad that it worked out for you.

17. basket case

basket case New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WOW! I was not aware that this was an "atta-boy" response only thread. Thanks so much for the sarcasm. It truly brightened my day.

I am so sorry my constructive criticism offended you.

18. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    LOL Double WOW!!! Apparently someone didn't eat his cheerios this morning. How did you take what he said in any way as sarcasm? It looked like a sincere thanks to me. He did spend a lot of time and money r&d. Wth dude use the internets much? This is a forum btw. You know with like text and stuff? Hard to read sarcasm, and you seemed to go out of your way to criticize someone that is legitimately going out of their way to help others. I'm guessing your alias is not too far fetched. Take your meds, and get some sleep.

19. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First of all, a big THANK YOU to cproaudio. Its thanks to him that those of us with a 2012 Prius have an option to bypass the Nav speed lock. Just think of those countless buyers of other Toyota models who are completely out of luck if they want something similar.

I've a question about the parking brake grounding for enabling video while in motion. Is there any issue with doing this on a permanent basis, i.e, permanently grounding the parking brake input to the head unit?

20. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did mean it as sincere thanks and in no way being sarcastic. I can't control how other people interpret what I post. Even with what he posted, I still have no negative feelings towards him. I'm just glad it worked out for him.
    The instruction has been downloaded over 400 times, more than 7 times the bypass sold. Everyone seemed to be able to follow the instruction with little to no problems.
    There's really no issue permanently grounding the parking brake wire if done correctly. A simple ground to the parking wire is not the correct way. It'll back feed to the ECU and the PARK light on the dash will illuminate even with the parking brake is off. You also might set off the warning chime too. The right way would require you to cut the parking brake wire behind the radio and ground only the wire that's going into the radio and tape off the the end that goes toward the harness. The only side effect for doing this is when you're in the service menu to check the vehicle operation, the Parking Brake will always be on.

mid jersey likes this.