1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supposed "HYBRID PREMIUM"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Jan 15, 2006.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah but is that even possible? It seems like they have it set in their minds about dollars and cents and that's as far as they go with it. I can understand a bit. They don't have the pleasure of driving a Prius and seeing that it's much more than dollars and cents.

I think you can talk to them until you are blue in the face and it won't change how they feel about it. Same thing about couponing and people thinking it's a big waste of time. :rolleyes:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    those who talk in dollars and cents probably won't consider any $30,000 (US$20,000) vehicle anyway. They'll be driving subcompacts like the Yaris, Aveo, Accent, Rio etc to get them from point A to B.

That's why there are different types of cars for different people. For some, luxury is a must hence a Lexus, for others, geekiness and technology favour all other choice and thus the Prius =)

3. QED

QED New Member

And for those preferring cutting edge styling, The HUMMER. Now that's a premium!

4. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm willing to pay a "premium" if in the long run, it saves energy and is good for the environment and my health. I buy flourescent light bulbs even though they are more expensive, I pay a premium to buy food that is good for me, and I pay a premium with my time by exercising 6 or more hrs per week.

However, these premiums are actually investments since they may save in the long run.

There's a calculator http://www.hybridcars.com/calculator/index.php that will calculate how much a hybrid will save you compared to another car. Since the Prius will become my regular car, it will save me $1482 per year in gas. If I keep the car for at least 4 years that is almost a $6000 savings. I plan to keep the car for a long time so I should save even more.

The media needs to focus more on the benefits of buying a hybrid and how to compare your current vehicle and the hybrid that you are considering There are a lot of different factors to consider (even more than gas savings) and sadly many people aren't capable of comprehending these benefits.[attachmentid=1825]

Andy