1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suppressing all beeps?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by knowledgeseeker, Feb 21, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Kyle, the question was, can factory alarm that comes from the body ECU be activated. GBS is not going to do it, as it is not a requirement. I really would be quite suprised Toyota would go through the expense of having a different body ECU or programming just to suppress alarm. I would understand if all they did was not install the horn and turn off the alarm through the customizable features, though even the latter sounds like unnecessary extra work.

2. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

Ok
    YES IT CAN.
    This is the deal if you don't have an Alarm it can be turned on.
    This is how you find out. Sit in the car with the remote Press Unlock Wait for 30sec. & and if you do have an Alarm it will auto lock. Than unlock it by hand this will set off the alarm. To turn it off press unlock with remote.

Now: If you don't it CAN be turned on with the scan tool. Rick or any one call me and I will walk you through it.

Sorry I was starting to fall a sleep towards the end of that post on Sun.
    But what I was trying to say was that if you turn on the glass brakeage & you don't have the GB option than the Alarm won't go off if the windows are broken. I was trying to find away to agree with Rick. When I read it last night I wanted to say "ya i'm confused too". so for an extra 111.00 you can get the glass brakeage ecu & mic that I took pictures of.

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok now were all confused :roll: Doing some research on the alarm,at Toyota's web site,the glass breakage sensor is only an enhancment for the factory alarm,activating the alarm in the event of glass breakage. Looking in the NCF and in the electrical manual, the Body ECU is mounted/part of the drivers side junction block(to the left of steering under dash,another name for the fuse block). The ECU is on the back side. Also,after having parts dept try to look up the body ECU,we could not find it located,but going by the electrical manual picture,we looked up the junction block. There are multiple part numbers,depending on options,example SKS & Theft Deterrant. So back to my original theory,if you don't have it,it can't be turned on,in my mind. I guess the only way to know for sure is to take one without it and see if it can be activated,but Idoubt it would work. Counterpoint Kyle? :wink:

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It is possible the different part numbers are different 'default' configurations.

So Kyle is all you are doing is turning on "sound horn with alarm"?

5. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

All Toyota did is leave the alarm turned off. But told the salesmen that you have to have theft package to add the GB V2. Parts shows w/ gb option & w/o but they are the same part #'s . so I took one with (pkg 6) and one w/o (pkg 3) Apart I found that there is nothing pluged into either one so that means that it is just for GB So I got the scan tool went into custumize and pkg 3 has a option to turn alarm on after the GB ECU is installled. So I figured there is only one way to find out what happens if it is turned on w/o the GB option installed .
    Guess what. Yep WE got Alarm RS3200 built into the body ECU. NO SHIZ
    DanMan This is what yours came with. On Pkg 1,3.4
    in the 2005 didn't come with an alarm. The way the sale brochers read. That is the way the salesman understood it to be. Dan I wouldn't charge anything to turn this on because it only took 30sec. to do. But than you did pay $30 to have your alarm set to passive & had to do the song and dance to make it stop. sorry I had to add that.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I knew it! That's such a rip! And this time, it is Toyota doing it, not the dealer(s).

Bad Toyota! Bad Bad! Where's that guy that wanted our input on incentives for the Prius?

7. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

Dan you owe me again! I hope I don't get a call from Toyota.

8. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    This is great information!

Now for another question. Is there a rain dance that will turn the alarm on, without the use of the scan tool?

If not, what the option that mus be turned on? The "Warn by GLS Sensor?"

Thanks,
    Shawn

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, for setting passive alarm, there is, but I don't know if that would turn on the main alarm function.

Correct me if I am wrong kyle, but I believe it is "Warn By Horn"

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok now I'm going to have to see for myself that a non theft can have theft. I believe Kyle but I have to see for myself. Hard to believe Toyota would make it that way.Now to find a Prius to practice on 8)

11. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope he doesn't get mad but yes you can change "Warn By Horn", "Entry Delay", and "Warn By GLS Sensor" along with the Passive mode changings. I don't believe there is a "rain dance" you could do,just have to buy yourself a scan tool :)

12. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Rick/DanMan,

The reason I wondered is twofold.

First, the sheet (found elswhere on PC) that I've looked at shows the "Warn by Horn" default to be ON, but the "Warn by GLS Sensor" default to be OFF. And yet the alarm is off.

Second, if there is no rain dance, and I know exactly what options need to be changed via the scan tool, I can ask specifically next time I'm at the dealership.

Finally, Rick, if you happen to be coming to Tucson soon, I know of a 2004 Salsa Red Prius you could practice on ;-)

Thanks,
    Shawn

13. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    A quick search on the internet turns up that this selling of a quickly and easily activated alarm also occurs in the Toyota Tacoma (also the RS3200 VIP alarm). In that vehicle, dealers are charging up to $350 to disconnect one wire connector, activating the alarm. Nothing else.

Perhaps there's the equivalent for the Prius?

Thanks,
    Shawn

14. jeepien

jeepien Member

Does a scantool cost more than the Theft option?

15. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe they start about $2000 for the standard one(Toyota gets theirs from Vetronics) with out NVH,Breakout Box or Scope ability. But it will still take care of OBD & OBDII,all of the body codes,customization and such. You can even take snapshoys of data lists :) So I guess that it maybe cheaper to go to your dealer(or know somebody that works there and be their friend.Maybe they would do it at home).

16. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

No but you can Fly me out there and I will do it for free.
    neither it has nothing to do with the horn or GBS. That is how it operates. It has to be turned on. This is the operation in scan tool.
    1 customize
    2 DOP
    3 ON
    If this was in the repair manuals we would all know about it already. It is in the Alarm install instrucitions.

17. garypear

garypear New Member

So from what I've read on this thread the alarm to sound when car doors or hood are opened by force exists latently in all 2005 Prius and can be turned on with the use of an expensive scantool.

From this I've concluded that despite it being a $249 MSRP Prius accessory on Toyota.com, if we could actually build our on Prius (has anyone ever done that?!) we would just be paying that to have one delivered having had the same procedure done described in this thread.

Previously, Prius part dealers had an RS3200 for sale but that seems to be no longer the case. Part number now seems to just bring up the GBS and that makes sense. If there was ever a distinction, buying RS-3200 would have bought a GBS with instructions on how to turn on the alarm (wouldn't think it would be JUST the instructions!)

Would bringing the dealer a GBS to install make it easier for them to justify turning on the latent alarm? Danman said he had to pay $30 and even though the fix reportedly takes only minutes I'd happily pay the $30 if I could. Does anyone in So. Cal know a dealer who is doing it, either with or without adding GBS?

Once it is activated, how does it work? In conjunction with the smart fob and does it require the FOB to be reprogrammed and if so how much does THAT cost?

Would hope that when all is said and done the alarm would arm when you locked the doors and disarm when you unlock, regardless of whether said locking/unlocking is accomplished by pressing buttons on the remote or using the door lock/unlock buttons and/or handle sensor unlock (in conjunction with a smart fob.)

18. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garypear\";p=\"70608)</div>
    I have yet to take the time and try to turn on an alarm on a non alarm Prius. We have(if they are still there)2 used 04's and I may try to experiment this weekend(have to work Sat).If the alarm can be turned on,typically the Toyota alarm should work as you asked;with the fob and by lock/unlock door switch. It should also be able to be turned to passive,so it will arm after set time after you leave the vehicle. The fob will not have to be reprogramed either. May take a few days(a week?) for me to get time but I am going to look into it. I am also curious that it can be done. If Kyle sees this post,he will let you know first. :wink:

19. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

It will work just the same way as all of the others. Remember none of the Packages came with GBS. So it will work the same as the factory installed alarm.

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I paid $30 to have the passive turned on, not the alarm itself. I always had the alarm, so Kyle, I don't know why you claim I owe you. We agreed on $30 since he claimed it took 2 hours to do, and didn't advise me of the cost first.

I DO NOT recommend turning on passive. It arms the alarm 30 seconds after power is off and the doors are closed, whether doors are locked or not, but it does not lock the doors. So, if you wash your car with the doors unlocked and the car powered off, then open the door for something in the car, a few seconds later the alarm goes off. SKS is not used to suspend passive arming, but I figured it wouldn't.

I hated the passive, but fortunately found from the repair manual that I could turn it back off myself.