1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suppressing all beeps?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by knowledgeseeker, Feb 21, 2005.

1. garypear

garypear New Member

That description of passive seems to match the only alarm setting scenario described in the manual (where it is referred to neither as active or passive.)

Is the use of the term "passive" to describe that scenario supported by other Toyota documentation? Seems the "best" word to use depends on the choice of point of view: the user's or the alarm's. What's been described in the manual and on this thread would be having the alarm "actively" set the alarm while the user gets to "passively" enjoy that benefit.

I admit I suggest that without knowing for sure what the alternative scenario is: the alarm does not go on by itself after 30 seconds? What is the alternative to what's described in the manual and how does one change back and forth between the two?

This thread has really gotten off topic by the way so I'm going to add a message/link to it on the RS3200 alarm thread I started.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Here's a link to the passive mode dance. I posted it in a much earlier thread, but I'm not sure where it is. But since I posted this attachment, I am able to make a link here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/download.php?id=1104

Insurance defines passive alarm to be that it arms automatically without user intervention. Most people nowadays actually have ACTIVE alarm systems that they must arm themselves. Even the Saturn factory alarm is this way. However, since most would use the remote to both lock the doors and arm the alarm, this could be debated as passive, though if you forget to press the wireless remote on many cars, the doors are left unlocked and alarm unarmed. Some cars, like ours, will arm automatically if the doors are locked, no matter how you locked them. That MIGHT be considered passive in the eyes of insurance companies, but even that is a manual step.

Prius can be set for passive alarm, but not passive lock.

3. garypear

garypear New Member

Thanks for that link showing how to go back and forth between passive (and active?)

So since we are referring to what's in the manual as passive (car arms itself after 30 seconds), the alternative is having to take action to arm/disarm the alarm, but that would just be locking / unlocking the car, either by buttons on the remote or via smart entry?

I certainly understand the potential annoyance of having the alarm always arm itself (such as when washing the car or even fueling the car). I would certainly miss the ease to which that problem was solved by my old alarm's remote's ability to put the card in valet mode with just a few clicks (no such feature on the Prius?).

Also, just for clarification, use of the Scantool to turn on the alarm turns it on in passive mode by default? If not, the Scantool can also be used to change in and out of passive mode if you remember to tell the Scantooler to do so?

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Passive mode, and its delay time are separate configurations from enabling the alarm itself. By default it is active.

Active would be arming the alarm after 30 seconds from locking it and doors closed. As far as I know, it doesn't matter how the car was locked.

As far as I know, there is no easy valet mode to temporarily disable alarm. Another reason to hate it. But then, if the valet was doing his job, he shouldn't be setting off the alarm. He is to drive the car to the parking spot, power off, lock doors, and close them. When he comes back, he is to unlock doors, power on, drive car to you. Now the powering on might take him more than 30 seconds to figure out, but probably he will at least get to ACC mode so no alarm going off.
    If he lingers in the car for more than 30 seconds, or knowingly left the car unlocked and then returned to it, he deserves a blast of horn.

5. garypear

garypear New Member

Danman,

In your post dated 3/9 on this same thread you wrote:

"I DO NOT recommend turning on passive. It arms the alarm 30 seconds after power is off and the doors are closed, whether doors are locked or not, but it does not lock the doors."

In your post directly prior to what I'm writing, you wrote:

"Active would be arming the alarm after 30 seconds from locking it and doors closed. As far as I know, it doesn't matter how the car was locked."

Although perhaps a carefully analysis of the two comments would provide a working understanding of the difference between active and passive, I think we'd all be better off hearing about it again directly from you, if you don't mind.

Regarding valet mode, it's just an expression for a feature one activates anytime one wants to keep the alarm from coming on by itself. For me, I'd characterize those situations as more than 95% when I retained control over the vehicle (gas station, washing, checking under the hood) and less than 5% handing over my keys to an actual "valet".

6. garypear

garypear New Member

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

8. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, let's see what happens....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kyle Pehrson\";p=\"69664)</div>
    No but you can Fly me out there and I will do it for free.
    .<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TucsonPrius\";p=\"69479)</div>
    neither it has nothing to do with the horn or GBS. That is how it operates. It has to be turned on. This is the operation in scan tool.
    1 customize
    2 DOP
    3 ON
    If this was in the repair manuals we would all know about it already. It is in the Alarm install instrucitions.[/b][/quote]

I bought a pkg 3 2005 last week. Called up my salesman to arrange getting my inspection sticker today, and to show him a scratch that they had buffed out. Mentioned to him that I wanted the alarm turned on, and could he help me get a service guy to do it for free. He said sure, we'll try it. Get to the dealer and the front desk service guy states categorically "your model doesn't have an alarm" and refuses to hear about it. Then he produces a reproduction sticker for my car and says "see, there is no alarm." He was more than glad to get my sticker though.

My salesman, armed with a printout of Kyle's message disappears in the back. After a caucus with the resident prius techs, he takes me to the service manager's office. He says "I've heard of something like this about the earlier models, but I don't know if this will work on a 2005" I'll gladly charge you $44 to find out. I said "oh man, thats a lot for 5 mins work" but ok go ahead and do it. Still worth $44 to get the alarm turned on (my insurance will go down more than that.) He then winked and said, "if you are right and it only takes 5 mins, I wont charge you." I left the dealer and went back to work.

Anyway, my salesman gets big points for follow-through on this.

An hour later I got a call from the salesman, he said "the service department says the customer was right; they enabled the alarm system" I just picked up the car. No charge.

How can I test that the alarm is working now?

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To check the alarm here is what to do;

Roll down the windows. Lock with the remote, door lock switch inside (while exiting,all doors shut while checking system) or with the black button on handle(SKS equiped). The security indicator (red car with a key in it) should be on and start blinking after 30 seconds. Reach inside of each door,thru the window, and unlock from from the inside. The alarm should go off (headlights/turn signals flashing and horn sounds). To turn off,just press the unlock button on your remote. Also if you have the alarm set and disarm/unlock it , then never open a door, it will automatically reset/relock after30 secs. 8)

10. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Woo HOO the alarm works and for free to boot!

So being impatient, I tried a couple of things before getting a response. First I tried almost what rick57 suggested. But alas, I didn't wait long enough (about 30sec) for the alarm to engage. Then I tried what I had read earlier in the thread (sit inside with the key and hit unlock. then wait for it to lock). Again, I didn't wait the 30 sec's it takes for the alarm to engage.... Then I posted my question. Then I realized that I didn't wait long enough for the alarm to engage.

Then I tried the lock the car and sit in it until it engages the alarm. Open the door and what a racket the alarm gives off! :) :D Cool the alarm works, but then I had the damnedest (is that a word?) time shutting it off. The unlock button didn't do it, the lock button didn't do it. Finally, hitting the power button (with the smart key in my pocket of course) did the trick.

Short story: My 2005 with BI (package #3) now has an alarm thanks to Kyle!!!

11. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you have an alarm now. :) Yes thanks to Kyle for letting us know that (I didn't know that either,never installed an alarm in a Prius yet,nobody has asked). If you watch the indicator it will be solid,then when it starts blinking ,the alarm is set. I always check alarms on other Toyota's by the method I suggested ( windows down,reaching in and unlocking the door). Always works for me.
    By the way, when you were trying to turn off the alarm,were you using the lock/unlock button on the door? Should have stopped it if you had used the unlock button on the fob. Maybe I should have distinquist between the two,sorry. :oops:

12. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was using the unlock on the remote. It could be that it was a little confused since I was sitting in the car the whole time with it detecting the smart key. I did notice that the indicator was blinking when I set the alarm off.

Anyway, I really am enjoying the fact that I got the alarm system for free. Thanks for all of your help.

13. tmadar

tmadar New Member

This post seems to have gotten way off the original topic of "Suppressing all beeps" from the Navigation/Display system.

Does anybody know of a way to do this (or at least lower the volume)?

I am a new Prius owner and this is my number one issue with the car.

:guns: Driving me crazy!!!

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

it appears the actual beep is generated by the radio header on non JBL systems, and the amp on JBL system.

15. tmadar

tmadar New Member

I have the JBL system, which means its the Amp (I guess). What does this mean in regards to turning it off or lowering the volume?

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Eliminate the amp! Of course that really isn't feasable.

I have confirmed that the beep does come out of all tweeters, though I don't know if the fullrange speakers can adequately produce the beep due to the high requency of that beep.

Since I heard the beep out of the rear tweeter, and the rear speakers have a conventional crossover, the rear fullrange is also getting the beep. I have not checked the front lower speakers. Since the amp is crossing over digitally, the amp itself may be submitting the beep, but the crossover may be filtering it out.

17. tmadar

tmadar New Member

You would think that there would be some software shortcut to modify this "functionality". Has anyone on this board ever tried accessing the code to the Nav System to make these types of changes? I have heard that you can bypass the screen that makes you "accept" the risks of using the Nav system. This sounds like the same sort of mod.

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No, I don't think so. I believe it is the MFD sending "Beep" requests to the amp. NAV itself doesn't send the beeps.

As for killing the "I Agree", I believe Coastal is detecting the MFD requesting the NAV activation, the NAV responding that it is initializing, and upon detecting initializing, the mod sends the equivalent codes to emulate the touchscreen press at the right coordinates.

I really wish I could find out how he did that. I'd love to analyze AVC conversations, and do stuff with it. Like operate a laptop using the touchscreen as a pointing device.

19. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"75885)</div>
    I'm glad to see this thread back on track -- that was quite a ride!

On another thread, "JBL Premium Audio System uncovered", there was mention that the Land Cruiser uses an analog amp in what is otherwise a similar setup. Perhaps that amp, in addition to producing better sound, might not know how to beep? Any owners out there whose other car is a Land Cruiser?

20. pkeeler

pkeeler New Member

Suppressing beeps

I've been trying to supress reverse/seat belt beeps using Kyle's list of 10 instructions (2/22/05) but never get past #6. The "b on" "b off" indicators never show up, it just jumps to trip 1.

Wish I could have my local dealership do this, but they claim it's not possible, and they wouldn't do it even if they could.

Phil