1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Surprise snow storm" == stranded on Oregon hill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stevewoods, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, the joy of the Prius Gen II traction control. I was in Oregon and gave my winter-tire equipped Subaru Outback to my wife as there was a slight possibility of snow yesterday afternoon, with "no accumulation."

Ended up with a maybe three or four inches on the roadways, with lots of cars careening into ditches. Wifey had no problems with the Outback, I ended up on a snow-covered hill in a rural landscape and was about 9/10ths of the way up the maybe 300-yard grade when the dreaded traction control light went on and car came to a shuddering stop. Can't tell you what the grade is on the road, but it is "steep."

No matter what I tried, backing down a foot or three, whipping the steering back and forth, the car was not going forward. Ended up backing down the entire grade.

Lucky no one else was stupid enough to be driving the route at the time. It was a bit harrowing as the Prius kept wanting to slew to the right (toward the steep, deep ditch), but finally managed to make down, turn around and find a friendly farmer's driveway to use as a parking area overnight.

Wife came down the hill a bit later, picked me up in the Outback and up we went on the same hill without a glitch. Even without the Bridgestone Blizzaks, I sure there would have been no problem with the Outback.

Without the Prius traction control, somewhat sure I could have made it up the hill in the Prius, although with a few fits and starts. The General Altimax RT43 tires I have on the Prius have very good snow/ice traction for an all-season.

Nothing else I should have tried?

Here's TireRack's take on the Generals.

Among our test group, the General AltiMAX RT43 drove well, felt comfortable on the road and provided class-leading traction in dry and especially in wet conditions. It also performed well in the snow.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I drove Outbacks for 12 years before we got a Prius. Those winter tires are doing it more favors than you're giving credit for.

I've got RT43s on our old Hyundai and it's gotten me stuck. The self-same car has also worn Altimax Arctic studless winter tires in other seasons, and never slipped or got stuck.

Nothing against Subaru's AWD setup; I do remain a fan- but really it's the tires.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get some snow tires on the Prius, lol. How much tread on the General Altimax RT43?