1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Survey: Will commuter lanes come to a halt with Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by rwithop, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rwithop

rwithop New Member

The San Jose Mercury did an article on whether or not letting hybrids into the commuter lane was a good idea. They used Virginia as an example of how the HOV lane came to a sudden halt due to the traffic. The intent was to scare people in the Bay Area into believing this could happen to them if the law was passed here.

Let's do a quick survey. For the next two weeks, track how many hybrids you see on your commute (Honda Civic, Insight, Ford Escape, Toyota Prius). Then report back the following:

1. Time of day
    2. Freeways and direction you are traveling
    3. Number of hybrids spotted

I have even included a spreadsheet to track it or just do it in your head.

Thanks for your help.

2. rwithop

rwithop New Member

So I have been tracking this for about a month thus far and here are my results:

1. Time of day - 8-9:15 am
    2. Freeways and direction you are traveling - 101 S from San Mateo to Sunnyvale
    3. Average Number of hybrids spotted - 3

1. Time of day - 5:15-6:30 pm
    2. Freeways and direction you are traveling - 101 N from Sunnyvale to San Mateo
    3. Average Number of hybrids spotted - 4

How about you?

3. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but remember not all Prius owners commute by car. I'm excited about the prospect of using the car pool lane, but I walk to work.

4. rwithop

rwithop New Member

My hypothesis is that there are not enough hybrids on the road to make the commuter lanes come to a halt. Not sure that the numbers will say that, especially since the bill that went through the Senate would allow the hybrid SUVs.

Update: I used to see 3-4 Prius' on my drive during commute. Now it is easily 6-8 per direction. Could get crowded....

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i agree. there are hybrids.. but not that many. plus. the little amount that will be off the normal lanes would possibly help the rest of traffic. Ok.. it won't.. so all the best drivers will be in the commuter lane :)