1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sushi Mod 3 : Reverse Beep Disable Using iPhone EngineLink App

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by sushi1026, Jul 16, 2014.

1. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This topic was written to death based on my search through the forum, but I can't really find a post specifically for iPhone users wanting to disable the continuous reverse beep. I tried the dealer route but they don't want to do it, and I don't have an Android phone so the Torque app route is a no go for me.

So after several days of research and hitting several dead ends, I've finally managed to disable the continuous beep. This method seems to be a perfect way for technical n00b like me because it's just install, load, click, click, done. I recognize there's some posts on this subject so if you guys decided this is annoying to have another thread about the same topic, but just in a different device. I'll gladly pull this post.

The thread I got most of the information from is here. It even have the Custom PID files that you need (more on that below), but the first issue that I ran across was the Torque app. It is not available in the App Store. I did find an app called EngineLink, which supports Custom PID.

In the App Store description it mentioned you must use a WiFi OBD II device, when I asked the developer about it I discovered the iPhone bluetooth is somewhat restricted, so you can't really use the EngineLink properly (bummer). You can get around the issue by jailbreaking your iPhone, but since my iPhone is company issued, I decided not to.

EngineLink-icon.jpg

Before connecting to the ELM327 on your iPhone: connect your iPhone to your computer and using iTunes' file sharing, add the PID file Prius3_Disable_RBeep.csv attached here, or if you know what you are doing already, add the appropriate PiP config PID file from this thread. Add the files to the EngineLink app and sync.
    FileSharingiTunes.jpg

When the WiFi ELM327 arrive from Amazon, I ran into problem #2, the CD is a small one, and it's destroyed during transit. No matter, found set up instruction on this site. It's not a full plug-and-play but I managed.

Turn on your car. What the instruction differ from my experience are the SSID name is "OBDII" instead of CLKDevice, and it requires a password to connect, which is "12345678" (If you scroll down on that page you'll see a comment about this). But after I plugged in and launch the app, I was able to tap the "Connect" button and it connects without problems. elm-327-plugged.jpg

enginelinke-home.jpg

Swipe right several times until you get to a blank page with a message on the upper left corner "Long press to create or move the custom PID". My screen background color is different because out of frustration of being stuck at this stage I was just trying something else to make sure the app isn't broken.
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-1.jpg

long press until a menu "Add New Display Cell" appears. Select whatever you want but I choose "Small OnOff"
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-2.jpg

"Custom PIDs" screen appears, press "Edit" on the upper right corner...
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-3.jpg

Then press "Load PIDs" on the upper right corner
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-4.jpg

Swipe down until you see the file you sync-ed from iTunes file sharing, in my case, it is "Prius3_Disable_RBeep.csv"
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-5.jpg

Tap the "Reverse Beep Disable (3BAC40)"
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-6.jpg

If you see this new button on screen, you are really done. When I was trying the PID file from usbseawolf2000, I got stuck because, at no fault to him, I loaded both the disable and enable, thinking I just load the gauge and I'll be able to tap and enable or disable the beep. Wrong! I was such a n00b that I just don't understand how PID works. Turns out all I needed to do was to load the Reverse Beep Disable PID instead of both (duh!).

Put the car in reverse and if you hear only one beep, you did it successfully.
    EngineLink-CustomPID-screen-7.jpg

I hope this will help those of us with Gen III and an iPhone looking to disable the beep without dealership assistance. As in these DIY written instructions I can't really guarantee anything. For all the expert on this subject if you see an error please do tell me, I'll modify / change per your expert knowledge.

Attached Files:

Chazz8, drash, Tracksyde and 2 others like this.
  2. LA2014Prius

LA2014Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good job! I wonder what else you hack into... ;)

sushi1026 likes this.
  3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you think there's a way to disable the continuous "door open" beep I get when I'm driving with the hatch bungeed down over long cargo?

SAronian likes this.
  4. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Humm. Can't find a line in the PID config file about that, but I could be wrong. You should give this thread a read. Maybe someone knows.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a Forum section on the OBDII iPhone and use of Engine Link found here OBDII iPhone App | PriusChat

A lot of your answers can be found here OBDII Android App | PriusChat. Engine Link uses the same PID information as Torque but the arrangement of data is slightly different.

I just converted the proven Torque file in to an Engine Link file.

#5 jdcollins5, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    sushi1026 likes this.
  6. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh man! I wish I searched the right term before I went on multiple frustrated days trying to get it to work. Thanks @jdcollins5.

7. Kurt Yun-Doyle

Kurt Yun-Doyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    While not as hi-tech, an easy way to stop the beep is to flip the latch in the bumper with a pencil or something so it thinks it has caught the liftgate. When you want to actually close it, just push the open button on the lift gate handle to release the latch again.

SAronian likes this.
  8. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Forget the small CD. I have a tray type drive and found that there is a folder for PC software, which Norton flagged one of the files as infected. There is also a iPhone folder with some "version of DashCmd" which would not load on a first generation iPad and would hang on initializing on an iPhone 5S.

sushi1026 likes this.
  9. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Downloaded the reverse beep PID. Worked like a charm on my 2014 Prius IV. All I get is one beep. That's it. Thanks Sushi... most appreciate you sharing this. Hope I can reciprocate some day.

10. Hartrepair

Hartrepair New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all, I down loaded the EngineLink from the AppStore to my IPhone 4s. I used a wifi link to the ELM 327. Everything worked well. I did stop the Dreaded Reverse Beeping (DRB). When I tried to stop the Seatbelt Beeping (SB), but wound up with a odd, partial, almost intermittent beep, in reverse. This happens when the DRB is off, and is used in conjunction with the SB off.

11. s1059197

s1059197 Junior Member

Thanks for this! It worked exactly as described and eliminated the one big annoyance about our '13 Prius.

12. Wormsyapples

Wormsyapples New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "connect your iPhone to your computer and using iTunes' file sharing, add the PID file Prius3_Disable_RBeep.csv attached here, or if you know what you are doing already, add the appropriate PiP config PID file from this thread. Add the files to the EngineLink app and sync."

Hi there, please be patient with me, but when you go to filesharing in itunes, select Prius3_Disable_RBeep.csv and click "Add" it asks you where you want to save it. Could you please tell me step by step what to save it to?