1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspenion bits... thoughts on this combo?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by BlkGenIII, Mar 8, 2018.

1. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I have a 2012 Five w/ ATP and have been reading most of the suspension threads to come up with my own combination of parts, that I think could properly solve my gripes about the floaty suspension of this car.

I come from an e39 sport with upgrades followed by 10 years of a track prepped RX8 but needed the Prius for full time commuting duty. I held onto the RX8 for the first year of owning the Prius but ended up selling it to someone looking to use it and care for it properly. So I’m left with making the most of the Prius. I’m in the car a lot and want to be able to enjoy some of the SoCal roads as well as commutes as I’m a car person at heart, making the adult decision to keep extra money in my pocket and make use of copious amounts of practicality :)

I feel like I’m a bit ahead with 17s and quicker steering rack found in the Five, but anything over 30mph just becomes work, especially braking on the highway, lane changes etc. it gets to be a bit scary sometimes having come from the cars I’m used to. I also road trip with my girlfriend and we normally take my Five over her Two just because of the extra creature comforts.

I’m curious if anyone has any clue as to how much these parts would stiffen up the chassis altogether and what it could be comparable to, as far as handling, responsiveness and fun factor :)

Tein Street Advance Coilovers 4k F/R
    TRD rear sway bar
    RAV4 front sway bar
    Tom’s Racing front strut bar
    Cusco center power brace

If anyone has a setup comparable to this or similar, let me know how it is. I’m planning on ordering all of these parts in the next couple months and having them installed all at the same time.

Thanks so much!

TL;DR: I come from two previous sporty cars with suspension upgrades and I’ve posted the above proposed suspension setup for my 2012. Any thoughts?

Burna J and Shibikku like this.
  2. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not much into combos, so I went with everything Cusco...... Makes me smile every time I see the curves ahead sign. :D

IMG_2190.JPG

Plus a shout out to Hybrid Pit @RightOnTime :)

3. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Costco for the win!

4. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also came from the BMW community and missed the sporty ride of my old E30/E36 M3’s and E39 M5. I would skip the TRD/RAV4 oem sway setup and go for the Hotchkis front and rear xB bars. Much more solid and the TRD rear endlinks are notorious of snapping. Toms strut bar is great as it’s one piece and the Cusco center brace also makes a big difference. If you don’t car camp with the Prius, I’d also look into the Ultra Racing rear strut brace.

James Powers and Burna J like this.
  5. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is pretty much all the braces that Cusco makes for the Prius?

6. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I’ll have to do some reading on this compatibility. Any reason you chose to go with the hotchkiss over the Cusco setup? If it’s been discussed in another thread no worries for not wanting to repeat yourself.
    I appreciate the feedback!

7. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I chose Hotchkis simply because of the price. You could get both front and rear bars for the cost of one Cusco rear sway bar.

8. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Came from a JDM Evo 8 MR, so I know how you feel.

Aftee the Tien lowered springs and 18 inch wheels, I can say with certainty the best upgrade is any sort of rear sway bar. I've got the Plus swaybar and it took all of the highway drifting and leaning through corners away.

The second best upgrade was the Cusco front strut bar, which definitely tightened up the cornering. I also got an Ultra Racing rear strut bar, but don't notice any major performance difference. That doesn't mean it isn't helping, just that the other two upgrades were such a night and day difference.

You can check my build thread to see what else I have on my car, I autocross with it and I've been very happy with the handling.

James Powers likes this.
  9. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the input. I’ll be sure to check the thread out.

10. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cool deal, I’ve been reading on it a bit. Some have reported a twisting feeling after just the xB front and rear sways... you think the Toms FSB And center power brace from Cusco could help solve that problem? Definitely leaning toward the hotchkis sways at this point. Based off what you’ve said, the price and what I’ve been reading on other threads.

11. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely go for the FSB and center brace. In addition to the Hotchkis sway bars, I have the Cusco FSB, lower arm bar, front power brace, and center power brace. No twisting feeling here.

Shibikku and BlkGenIII like this.
  12. w84me

w84me Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive got tein basis coils, Cusco fstb and hotchkis rsb. I really like how flat it feels on curves and onramps. Almost perfect for my daily needs.

BlkGenIII likes this.
  13. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And I have brand new KYB's all around with Tien lowered springs. The car corners VERY flat, but man you feel a LOT of bumps with 18 inch wheels. Looking to upgrade to coilovers sometime in the next year because I do road trip pretty often.

BlkGenIII likes this.
  14. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How is the out of the box dampening on the basis? I had them on a previous car for a bit and had almost wished I had control over the damper settings. My reason for going with the Street Advance on the Prius.

15. w84me

w84me Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are my first set of coilovers. But I did have H&r springs on my last car and these are much better imho

BlkGenIII and TheChip like this.
  16. BlkGenIII

BlkGenIII Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One more question for you. What would you say this setup is comparable to stiffness and responsiveness-wise... I’m looking to get someone near an e90 sport. Are they in the same ballpark or feel with your setup? Stiffer? Etc

17. Michael Mann

Michael Mann Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’m running the TRD Springs, TRD RSB, RAV4 FSB, Mike’s Mid & Front brace, Cusco strut brace along with 17s and it’s made a world of difference. Only thing I wish I had now was a BBK.

BlkGenIII likes this.
  18. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How harsh is your ride? I've found my setup which is just about like yours to be bordering on too harsh.

19. Michael Mann

Michael Mann Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn’t call it harsh but it’s definitely firm and gives you confidence throwing it into a corner. The floating feeling of the car in stock form just didn’t seem safe.

20. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It’s about as stiff, if not, a little more than an e90 w/ factory sport package. I feel like the e90 chassis does a good job of absorbing the rebound. The Prius doesn’t absorb quite as well so the ride is a bit more harsh in my opinion. Maybe look into upgrading the shocks/struts if you’re going to stiffen the chassis.

BlkGenIII likes this.