1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension: Blitz vs. TRD Sportivo vs. B&G vs. Modellista?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by andrewsilver, May 18, 2009.

1. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm interested in improving the suspension on my 2007 Touring. I'm seeking best cost-benefit upgrades. This is for daily driving, not track - seeking to improve handling in the real world.

I currently have installed the BT Tech Chassis stiffening plate and the BT Tech Strut Tower Brace on my Touring.

As next steps I was going to add some of the Tom's parts, particularly the Front Lower Suspension Brace, but started reading that perhaps I should look at lowering springs / shocks first.

If that's the case, I've come across 4 solutions:
    1. Blitz Lowering Suspension system (springs) $349 including shipping from juicedhybrid.com (2 models for regular Prius or Touring)
    2. B&G S2 Sport Springs ~$239 - only for regular Prius, so I can't use these
    3. Modellista Lowering Springs for regular or Touring Prius ~$349
    4. TRD Sportivo Suspension Set - including shocks and springs - ~$999+shipping.

My thought is to go with #1, the Blitz springs for 16" (Touring).

The TRD Sportivos include shocks. Is it ok to use the existing Touring shocks with the Blitz springs? I've read yes, but wanted a second opinion. I have around 35k miles on the car.

What's the thought on typical install price. I read Pinto Girl paid around $680 including install at Toyota and wheel alignment for the Sportivos. That's a bit more than I was looking to spend. Somewhere else I read as low as $150 at a local install shop for just the springs. Does that seem reasonable?

Thoughts/comments welcome, thx.
    Andrew

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My opinion: It doesn't do any good to install a stiff spring without installing a matching damper. (Shock or Strut). It is best to use parts that have been designed to be used together so I would lean towards the TRD kits.

You will pay the same amount for installation whether you replace just the spring or the spring and dampers. The Prius uses a strut front suspension. To remove the springs the entire strut is removed from the car then the spring is changed. So the strut comes out regardless of whether it is changed or not. You will also require an alignment no matter which way you go.

You should also plan to replace the upper strut bushings as these wear quickly and require the strut to be removed to be replaced.

I would expect to pay between $350 for an independent shop to $750 for the dealer to do the work correctly.

If you are looking to save money you could do this yourself in an afternoon. No special tools are required besides a spring compressor and a ball joint separation tool. Both are available to rent or borrow from any major auto part store. Besides these tools all you will need is your basic array of metric sockets and wrenches plus a jack and jack stands. (You could buy all the tools you need for $250)

1 person likes this.
  3. DaveLadely

DaveLadely Junior Member

Eibach appears to have come out with a set of progressive springs similar to B & G, for a lot less, about $260.00 for front and rear set. The Prius that made the record speed run at the Bonneville Salt Flat test ground used Eibach progressive struts/shocks. Also offer alignment kits to provide additional adjustment than is available stock. See Eibach's online site. The progressive quality greatly improves handling, resists tipping of car. Unless pushed, the progressive design does not feel stiff until the spring is pushed, then it resists progressively, thereby improving handling and driver confidence. Since the spring rate is increased, a fast responding gas shock/strut should also be purchased, manufacturer can be buyer's choice as long as it is fast responding. Eibach can advise, 800-507-2338
    PRO-KIT (PERFORMANCE LOWERING SPRINGS) 1.4 in 1.0 in Number: 8298.140
    PRO-ALIGNMENT KIT Rear +/- 1.5 deg. of camber & toe adjustments. Number 5.75800K
    PRO-ALIGNMENT KIT Front +/- 1.75 degrees of adjustment. Number 5.81270K
    When I bought Eibach springs for my van, I also installed inexpensive but high quality Air Lift air bags that fit inside the coil springs, eliminated bottoming out, ride improved, was able to raise and lower front/rear, such as adjusting for loads so that headlights aim correctly.

4. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This post is on point. If you are REALLY lucky, you can find a shop to do it for $250. :D It usually about 4- 4.5 hours labor at a dealer. Coilovers are cheaper to install b/c everything is already together.

What are your goals? SPort? The look? Both? What are the spring rates and how close are they to OEM?

I would do the set.

Oh and good luck doing it yourself. :D

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of tires are you using? A decent set will likely improve handling just as dramatically as the upgrades you're considering.

6. B&G Suspension

B&G Suspension New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    to the OP the B&G S2 springs are made to work with both the Standard and Touring Models.. :) Let me know if you have any other ??s..

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    B&G, do you know if Eibach also works for the Touring model?

A few listings on eBay for Eibach lowering springs specifically say "Exc. Touring." Even my mechanic who would do the job says his inventory database comes up empty for the Touring. However, other eBay listings decline to mention or say its compatible. I'm so confused. Really want to lower my car soon...

8. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's compatible.

9. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Tanabe's!

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  12. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely Eibach never bothered to test fit on a touring so they aren't going to confirm, to cover their nice person.

The physical size and shape of touring springs compared to base springs is the same. The only difference is the spring rate. In other words, purely from a fitment standpoint, no issue.

Put it into perspective this way. Base owners have been known to swap out there springs for touring springs with no problem. Reason stands that this isn't a one way relationship, and base springs can go on a touring model.

Same thing for aftermarket. That is why b&g produces only one model of lowering spring but says it's compatible with both touring and base.

Why would you think that it is not compatible?

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I asked an eBay seller the same question. He actually contacted Eibach about this and they said that they do not have a kit available yet because the rear springs of those vehicle are different from the normal Prius.

What does this mean, Sup? Does this really make a difference with fitment, as you said?

Edit: Apparently the rear Touring springs are different sizes than the base models, as well as stiffer. 85 mm diameter rather than 77 mm. I still don't know about the compression rate, but is that enough to make a difference.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I called Eibach R&D today. The Touring was never tested for the Eibach Lowering Springs. That's why they "excluded it." Apparently they saw a Touring model, noticed the rear suspension was different and confirmed it with Toyota, and from there didn't bother to test/manufacture a Touring analog. He also said he wouldn't install it if he were me. I'd be taking a big risk where any number of things could go wrong. If the Touring is any heavier than the base model, it may not sit right. If the diameter of the Eibach/base springs is narrower (which they are) it could be a problem too. He sounded convincing. So I've decided against it. I'd hate to undermine the stability I get from the Touring suspension.

So I can't lower my car (at least easily and relatively inexpensively) without any worry. Wow, this sucks. If anybody has a solution or alternative to lower my car --Or better yet--, if ANYBODY with a Touring has lowered their car successfully, I'm all ears! Thank you.

15. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you are going to do the work yourself, try to find some used lowering springs to test with. That way if it doesn't work out, you can resell them for basically the same price and you'll have only lost some time.

But if it were me, I'd go for it anyway - I'm 99% sure the fitment is the same. :)

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I'm sure the fitment is the same too, it's all the other things I can't see that I'd be worried about. How does it sit? Is the spring stiff enough?

I wouldn't be doing the work myself and my mechanic was upfront with me: Even if it didn't work he'd still charge me for parts and labor as if I installed it. ~$350 altogether (pretty cheap which is why I'm so bummed). Of course I would keep the new springs and sell them, but I'd have nothing to show for the money lost from labor.

After talking with Eibach R&D, I just feel like he wouldn't say "don't do it" if he didn't think anything would go wrong. I trust he has enough experience to know whether something is more than likely to work. Maybe he'd encountered the same issue before with a customer. Someone had a variant model and thought it'd work, but it didn't. My springs probably wouldn't even be covered under the million mile warranty since I technically didn't install it in the proper car. That's where I stand now.

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude, you live in SF Bay - get some coilovers! You don't have to live with snow (and the accompanying salt). Hell, usbseawolf has coilovers and he's in Queens, NYC (where they get snow!). If I were in your position, I'd have the HKS Hypermax kit swapped onto my car in a second.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Gray,

That is a great idea but wayyy too $$$$$ for me, for this car.

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figure I'll just wait till the stock suspension starts leaking (other people here have said this had started to happen as early as ~80k miles). Either the Toyota-Platinum-whatever extended warranty will cover it (which I expect not to be true, because the new car warranty never covered my issues) or I'll have to buy a new set of parts anyway so it'll be an opportunity to do the swap. Just a thought. You could probably buy a TRD kit for less money.

If you want to go springs only, why not the Modellistas or the H&R or B&G springs?
    Toyota Prius 2004 ~ 2009 NHW20 Performance, Handling & Electronic Accessories :: Sigma Automotive

20. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    B&G claims their springs fit on touring models so why not go with them over Eibach??

AFAIK the Touring model is not heavier than the base model, the changes to the touring are purely cosmetic and suspension.