1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidude, Feb 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey all, my 05 Prius is at 185k and mostly chugging along alright. Think I'll replace the spark plugs when I get a chance. I was walking next to another 2nd gen prius and noticed theirs sat about 2-3" higher than mine. I've towed a trailer (not more than 300lb at a time) about 2,200 miles total. I'm not always bottomed out though, I still have movement in the rear.

Any advice on what part of my suspension to replace? I heard that it was "lifetime" suspension but I'm sure I don't qualify for that anymore. I have a buddy who can help me replace it so I'd like to get high quality parts that can support a trailer better than OEM can if they exist.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where did you hear a car would have a "lifetime suspension"? I don't think I've heard that from any car manufacturer before.

If you have a buddy that can do the work, he should take a look and inspect the vehicle for worn parts and replace what's needed. I would think the struts/springs would be the first to get replaced......but you would have to check everything (for rust) before blindly replacing the parts.

SFO and edthefox5 like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe check one or two more, just in case the other Prius was raised, lol.

Here's info from the 2004 Prius sales brochure:

upload_2020-2-9_16-53-49.png

Downloaded from here:

Auto-Brochures.com|Toyota Car PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info 4Runner 86 Avalon Camry Celica, CH-R, Corolla Corona Echo FJ Cruiser Highlander Land Cruiser Mark II Matrix Mirai MR2 Prius RAV4 Sequoia Sienna Solara Supra Tacoma Tundra Venza Yaris

It might be a little tricky measuring height of yours. Laser level might help? Or a regular level and some 2x4's?

Would vehicle height stat's be measured with an unloaded vehicle? I think that's what Wiki's saying, which makes sense:

Ride height - Wikipedia

#3 Mendel Leisk, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The lifetime strut and exhaust warranty was cancelled as I remember. I forgot when...

moto g(7) power ?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    SFO and Montgomery like this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Guarantee was written by some tax filing wizard by the name of Dennis "Celery". He frequents the Caymen Islands and is delaying his I.R.S. audit....................

chelvis and dig4dirt like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The struts on a G2 stop participating at around 90,000 miles. Like most struts. They are a maintenance item.

Mine were replaced at that time and all 4 were dead when I tested them. Fronts worse than the rears. So all your struts have been dead for 80,000 miles.

In your case with the rear end sagging and I have seen alot of those on this site usually from towing you need to replace the rear struts and its accompanied spring. You can buy the oems they are expensive or you can buy an aftermarket all in one strut/spring and just bolt it in.

Rears are pretty easy except the rear interior has to be removed to get to the top strut mount bolt. If having them done that's extra labor and time to remove and reinstall the interior.

I had mine installed and I removed the rear interior myself before bring the car to them so they didn't get greasy fingerprints all over the interior. Its the same interior you remove to access the hybrid battery or clean the hybrid battery fan which btw is a good idea.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rear struts on Toyota dealer online websites are actually cheaper than most places. I think I paid around $40 for each strut when I ordered mine.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does that include the spring?

I bought all new oem including all the bumpers and rubber and the top bearing for the fronts. Just paid to have them installed. It really added up.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota doesn't have a complete unit for sale, it's piece work. If you add everything up individually, it probably would be very expensive.

KYB has a complete strut with spring kit, but the ride on the KYB stuff is much stiffer.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah thats what I did piece work all oem front and back. $$$$.

Car drove nice for about 40,000 miles then started getting stiff again. It was expensive. No spring though.

I would not have done that except I bought the car new so had some emotional investment in a car I usually dont have. The car had run so good no issues whatsoever.

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you had struts replaced at a Toyota dealer from 01/01/1990 - 7/31/2013 you qualify for a free replacement for the rest of your life. I have 1 single strut replaced during that period on our '04 Sienna. We hit a deer driving from Cleveland back to So Cal. The collision center told us we needed to have the strut replaced and so we did. I have not been able to take advantage of that though....

moto g(7) power ?

SFO likes this.
  13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may find a few threads that cover this (including air shocks, etc), by using the advanced search feature, while it still works.

Will recommend the following thread : https://priuschat.com/threads/heavy-springs-and-lift-upgrade.211727

Once you've decided on an upgrade path, please let report back if you learn or try something new (y)

And pictures, everyone loves the pictures :whistle:

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Look up SuperSprings Coil SumoSprings CSS-1145 for an option. I was hoping Air Lift Co. or Firestone would have an air bag option for the Gen 2, but seems starting with '10, which I believe is Gen 3.

moto g(7) power ?

15. alfa164b

alfa164b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone used these sumosprings?

SFO likes this.
  16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm afraid nobody I know, but I like the idea. The AirLift bags a long long time ago would fail due to bad seams. This looks like a no brainer. Nothing to leak, no air lines to run, no air pressures to monitor...

moto g(7) power ?