1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension Options?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by cairo94507, Apr 15, 2019.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone-
    I am an older member here but have been away for quite a while after selling my last Prius. I am now considering a Prime Advanced and of course want to modify the suspension in it like my last Prius.

I see we now apparently have several options for coil-overs to allow the hight to be dialed in as desired and firm up the dampening and rebound to match the desired ride. I also would like to know about front/rear sway bars and any additional chassis bracing to tighten the car up.

My last Prius had the TRD lowering springs/struts, and a rear sway bar to tighten it up. I had also gone with light weight 17" wheels. The difference of that combination was night and day on handling and that car handled much better. Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,
    Michael

TGrracie and GTprii like this.
  2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Start with your choice of upgraded wheels & tires, as a racer, I can tell you first hand that my 17x7" & 205/50-17" non-LRR tires made a world of difference.

Rob43

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. Then I can set the ride and ride height perfectly with coil-overs. Thanks for replying. I am a bit surprised no one else has made any comments about trying to improve ride and handling on these cars especially after all of the reviews comment about the poor ride and handling of the Prime. I see no reason why a plug-in, high MPG car can't handle and ride well.

4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hear what you're saying.

Think about it like this...the vast majority are trying to get the maximum MPG's, not make it turn-in better.

You, I, and a few others are the 1% percenters here.

These could also be a simple/cheaper solution when compared to the price of coilovers.
    www.rs-r.com/product/toyota-prius-prime-down-sus-springs-2017/

Rob43

#4 Rob43, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  5. JspecPrime

JspecPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just got my Megan coilovers today. Gonna install them soon with my wheels and alignment at the same time

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I remember you (more specifically your dog). Blitz makes a coilover kit for the Prime/PHV and so does TEIN (doesn't look like they have EDFC as an option though). I actually think the turn-in is pretty decent with the caeat that the road surace is very slooth. The high speed valving on the dampers feels set up pretty hard so it transmits a lot of the small bumps, but upsetting the suspension while turning makes the car feel pretty floaty.

7. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    a-gray,

Did you get that Prime, and if so, have you done any mods to it? I have a couple of suggestions.

GTprii likes this.
  8. roypaik

roypaik Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Any updates?

Does the Prius gen 4 strut bar/front tower bar fit on the prime? Any rear sway bar options? The car handles WAY better than the 3rd gen Prius, but are there any options to keep the Prius more flat during the turns?

9. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Have you upgraded your wheels & tires yet ?

The OE 195/65-15's are like marshmallows...

Rob43

10. roypaik

roypaik Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes they are. It will help overall the feel of the car but I want more rigidity and less body roll.

11. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This may be a dumb question, but can the coil overs be used with 15" wheels? And can this technique be use to increase underside clearance?

12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can't imagine that wheel size would affect the installation of coilovers. The 15" wheel and tire take up less space in the wheel well. If the coils offer adjustable ride height (as most do), you should be able to raise the car a bit.

ice9 likes this.
  13. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How would that affect stability and ride with 15" wheels? The other comments suggest that the addition of coil overs is best done with 17" wheels. However, these tires reportedly have a reputation of incurring high cabin noise (I'm not sure whether this is due to the 17" tires themselves, or if it is due to the lack of noise deadening in the Prime/Four Touring). In any case, I wouldn't want to have coil-overs installed for increased clearance if it is going to introduce a stability problem, and I am no expert on the matter.

14. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As a suspension builder, I can tell you right now that the VAST majority of coilover manufacturers don't allow for an actual height increase. In almost all cases, "their" coilovers highest setting is barely at and almost always is lower than the OE ride height.

If you have a particular coilover in mind, call up that company and ask them for the answer to this exact higher than OE ride height question.

Rob43

roypaik, jb in NE and ice9 like this.
  15. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanx. I expect that it would not be recommended, otherwise it would have already been used to increase clearance, but I will dig around to see what the coil-over mfg's say.

16. roypaik

roypaik Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Usually coilovers are built with shorter (but stronger spring rate) springs to give the car a height adjustment range. Because of that, usually on the max height it will not give you a bump above stock height (but rather, it will still be a half an inch or more of height drop like Rob was saying). Raising the car might need replacement parts more than just springs. Shock travel will have to be taken in consideration, camber kits, etc.

Also, the rim size will not matter if coilovers can or cannot fit because of the tire size you will use to compensate the same overall diameter of the wheel. Tire width and offset of the rims will effect fitment, but it can benefit your goal if they do not rub. If you want more ground clearance, you can get a thicker sidewall ratio tire (stock is 195/65/15, so bump up to 195/70/15) or wider tires with the same sidewall ratio (205/65/15), as long as the tire do not rub against the fender when you do turns. 195/65-R15 vs 195/65-R15 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World I use this website to play around with tire size and rim size to achieve the goal I want.

jb in NE likes this.
  17. DickyDck

DickyDck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello all, resurrecting this question. Has anyone found sway bar(s) for the Prime? I recently got a 2017 Prime Advance and dont want to lower it but would like to get a little better cornering. All my other vehicles with the addition of Sway Bars made a world of difference without having to lower the vehicle and lose ground clearance.

18. DickyDck

DickyDck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hopefully I have found a path forward. I ordered a new front and rear sway bar from Cusco, but they are only found in Japan. I figure they will arrive in a month and all things going as planned they will fit! I will let you guys know if they are a go!

19. DickyDck

DickyDck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cusco Sway Bars front and rear imported from Japan, and the off-road prius 1" lift spacers. Probably go in this weekend if I find the time

[​IMG]

20. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have been wondering about how one would take a Prius Prime, or perhaps a RAV 4 Prime, and modify it so as to have a very smooth ride. I've been thinking about air shocks but don't know much about them.

Any advice? Suggestions?