1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

suspension/struts/coils/shocks replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Senchronize, May 25, 2022.

1. Senchronize

Senchronize Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    My new(old) prius has loud clanking noise (I think it's the strut mount) whenever it goes over any bumps at >25mph speed. The passenger side front also wobbles when I try to manually push down that side of the car. The previous owner replaced them at 80000 miles and it is currently at 178000.

Has anyone done a strut/coilover replacement for their gen 2 prius. I don't know if I should do this myself or have the shop do it. I know I'll have to replace both sides as a pair. Those of you that have done it please let me know which one do you recommend and what are some tips and tricks or videos? The shop I called says they must do an alignment afterwards, is that something that's' pretty easy to DIY for a gen 2? How long would it take? Thank you for your time

for some ability reference I changed all the fluids in the car myself and I took the instrument cluster out and soldered the capacitor to fix the black screen problem, cleaned out the hybrid fan, and changed the spark plugs

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you should tackle this on your own, this suspension part is very important in keeping your car under control and for your stopping needs. 1 mistake can be very costly.

You can buy the parts from rockauto.com. They have a professional AC Delco complete unit for about $73 per side. That comes with the top mount, strut and spring. Normally this would be easily $200 at the dealership for each side. Buy the parts and bring it to a mechanic to install. That would be the cheapest way to do it.

3. Senchronize

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually looking at that exact same part. Unfortunately none of my local mechanics/shops wants to do customer supplied parts. They want to charge me $1439.75 for the entire left and right replacement with alignment, is that a fair price?(I'm not even sure what strut they will have, probably monroe?) Dealer is also around the same price.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you can make a few calls, just google and find mechanics in the area. Let them know you have a COMPLETE strut/spring combo you want to install. $1400+ is crazy expensive if you think about it, the part is under $200. The labor shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours.

You also have to be very careful when you go with $1400 quote, make sure you know what part they are installing. Most places will install Monroe/Gabriel shocks, which are the worst in the industry.....which is the cheapest and makes them the most profit.

5. Senchronize

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea I just called 4 spots and they all said no, even when I asked what if you order the parts on rockauto, they rejected on the basis that Rockauto do not give 3 year warranty. I'm starting to lean with doing it myself, this is not a daily driver car, I can work on it for a week if I need to, you think it's too dangerous to do myself?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's only dangerous if you don't torque everything back correctly or install the brakes incorrectly. Suspension is very important in keeping you in control and for you to be able to stop. I don't know how important that is for you, even when it's not a daily driver.

7. Senchronize

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have torque wrench, and almost all hand tools with jacks and jack stands, and I follow manual specs and can follow videos really well. I just wanted to know if 1: it's worth doing it myself (sounds like it is with the price and materials around me) and 2: if it's dangerous or really difficult, something I can't do with specific equipment.

Have you done it before?

#7 Senchronize, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not a difficult job at all, if you have a torque wrench, you can do it. There are many videos online that will show you how to do it. Just make sure everything is tighten and torque correctly. Don't want anything to fall off later.

ColoradoCrow and Senchronize like this.
  9. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have done it. It is not bad at all. Lots of videos online. Start with the rears. Go with OEM KYB Strut Plus units. Part numbers KYB SR 4223, SR 4224, Fronts. Rears SR 4513 and SR 4514. I would do the rears first. Much less work. Billy Hansen a member on this forum made a video that I used. I'ts on you tube. Watch the video 5 times and jump in. Be sure to clean and torque the nuts back to spec.

10. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I will have to do my wife's car soon as well. 124K on the originals...its time just waiting for warmer Spring weather.