1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SUV Drivers in Paris Get Wind Knocked Out of Them

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ScottY, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Rural northern Ohio. We aren't noted for our winters, but out in the sticks they are slow to plow and never salt the roads. We do get a little sand at the worst intersections. The land is flat and the wind is spirited so we get white outs and drifts. The road crews usually just wait until the wind lays before going out. The drifts close behind them as fast as they can plow.

I feel badly because this is the case only 2 months out of the year, maybe three, and not all the time then of course. I've had to walk two miles at night to fetch help, the wife and kids lodged in a drift. But the cellphone coverage is better now. Not great, but better.

What I want and need is an SUV that gets 50 MPG.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How very polite. They're not destroying the vehicle, just taking out the stem to let the air out. Not like acts of vandalism here where the vehicle is keyed, torched, or tires slashed.

Can you imagine the traffic mess in Paris, Munich, or God Help You London, if there were the same proportion of SUV's over there as here? How interesting the overall negative attitude towards SUV's in Europe.

Perhaps the Peak Oil predictions will all come true and we'll see many SUV's and large pickup trucks parked in a field. Nothing like $4 a gallon gasoline to make that happen.

Already in Winnipeg a huge number of pickup trucks and SUV's are backed up on the new lots, and used lots are dramatically discounting

3. Well, after my final chat with the accountant, we're back in Prius territory.

I wonder if SUVs will be as hated when they run on fuel cells? I think part of the problem is that car makers get most of their profit from the beasts. Some environmentalists are more about hurting companies than saving the earth. They'll come up with another reason when the time comes. They're versatile like that.