1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SUV's? Huge Trucks? Hypermiling Techniques???

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Oct 10, 2017.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the other day, I was just sitting in my vehicle resting..on a nice afternoon. I had the windows rolled down to let in a nice breeze and sunlight.
    Anyway, a few parking spots over, somebody get's into their gargantuan Dodge Diesel Pick Up. Extended Cab, Size of a 747....I can smell the unique smell of burning diesel, and of course hear the sound of running diesel engine...no missing it. As it slowly lumbered it's way out of the parking lot, the smell and sound fading, what I wondered was this.
    After many years at Prius Chat. After several years owning a Prius. With some knowledge (far from expert) of hypermiling techniques and efficient driving philosophy, has anyone ever done a baseline test, taking a INCREDIBLY inefficient vehicle, such as a large truck, or SUV, applied the strictest of hypermiling techniques with that vehicle and seen how much difference could or could not be made in MPG and fuel efficiency?

Maybe it was just that symbolically, sitting there watching that Dinosaur lumber out of the parking lot, I could almost see and feel the fossil fuel burning. You could feel it almost gulping fuel. Like it probably burned as much fuel just leaving the parking lot, as I use going from home to work. There was absolutely nothing in visible design or operation that lent itself to the idea of being efficient. Powerful? Yes. But efficient? No.

Which just left me wondering. Has anyone ever tried pounding such a round peg, into a square hole? That is drive such a type of vehicle aiming for the greatest possible efficiency? To see what may be possible?
    I think most people that choose to own and operate such a vehicle..for life or business, aren't even looking for, nor expecting efficiency.
    I'm really not knocking it. I have friends with large pick-ups. But I'd just be curious as to how much efficiency one could muster if one tried.
    And most owners of such said types of vehicles...aren't pulse and gliding or slowly accelerating to the next stop.

In a way, it would be more interesting to me than the same test with a Hybrid. Prius? HSD...efficient by design.

We all know Birds can fly.
    What would happen if you catapulted a Pig into the air?
    Rain of Bacon?
    Would we be talking about going from 12-16 mpg to a whopping 14-17?
    I just wonder what might be possible and if anyone has ever attempted such a test.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering hypermiling a Camry and Jetta saw noticeable results, I would think that applying the same techniques to a larger, heavier will work. The results will vary widely as you have greater mass = more momentum but also some models will come with wider tires which = more friction.

Transmission gearing and aerodynamics (sorta) play into the pulse and coast. Some SUVs (e.g. Cayenne) have a sail mode that allows the engine to shut off while off the accelerator which can help with pulse and coast.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The last time I check 'CleanMPG' over two years ago, I noticed the home page seemed to have a lot of pickup trucks. But I just checked and it looks like it defaults to current thread heads.

Perhaps one of CleanMPG illuminati might have a clue?
    I wonder who we might send?

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    RCO, fuzzy1 and pilotgrrl like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever I've driven our daughter's Pilot I try to hypermile my guts out. Just basic stuff, keeping a good following distance, gentle acceleration, coasting up to slow-downs, always looking ahead, for reasons to take my foot off the gas. There's a lot of frustrations though, like an engine that won't shut down at stops for example.

RCO, bisco and pilotgrrl like this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I live in Texas, land of gas hogs.

Some of the small ones are as big as a Greyhound bus and probably smell like one too.

I'm going on vacation soon, need to see if I can rent a Prius or other hybrid. If not, I'm getting a small car and hope I don't get upgraded.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not take your Prius?

7. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about truck or SUV, but we always had a minivan in our household. Our current minivan is 2005 Toyota Sienna AWD. With 3.3L V6 engine and being full time AWD, it has only 18 city / 24 highway mpg rating. Since our first hybrid car purchase 5 years ago, I have tried so hard trying to get Sienna to score better in mpg arena, but the best I could do was 24.2 on highway. Overall average last 5 years, mostly short trips in town, is 19.4 mpg. I just don't think those cars are made to be efficient, no matter what you do. Yah, you can make them much more inefficient, but the best you can hope for is the EPA rating, IMO.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not bad. With current EPA specs they rate the Sienna 4WD at 16 city / 22 highway.

upload_2017-10-10_11-43-0.png

from Compare Side-by-Side

RCO, pilotgrrl and Salamander_King like this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, I did with a used (cheap) F150 supercab that I got for pulling a sailboat and haul motorcycles. I actually started using fuel saving tips during the shopping phase when I decided to look for a V6 5-speed manual model which are hard to find.

I replaced the off-road oriented tires with street types, major tune up (wires, plugs, filters, switched to syn. fluids (including gear box), and one of the biggest: electric fan mod. I used a scangauge to monitor, drove slowly, kept speeds below 60mph whenever possible, chose routes to eliminate as many stops as possible, and coasts in N or clutch in.

EPA is a (revised) 15mpg combined (17 originally) and I got it up to the 19-20mpg range. That doesn't sound like much but it was a HUGE 20-25% improvement (50mpg prius equiv.=62mpg); however, with a 25 gallon tank and $3+ gal back then fill ups were about $75-80 bucks. :eek:

#10 fotomoto, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    RCO, The Electric Me and pilotgrrl like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But after experiencing what hybrid cars can do, it's hard to justify driving this minivan unless I am using to carry 7 passengers (which we rarely do now after kids are all grown up) or a full sheet of plywood (8x4 feets). For that reason, it has been driven less than 20K in the last 5+ years.;)

RCO, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never been able to get our dodge dakota to budge over 17 mpg, using every trick in my repertoire.
    and it doesn't matter whether it's highway or city.
    i haven't tried driving like most of the rest of the public though, i wonder what result maniacal driving would return.

RCO likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    CleanMPG Coaxes 32 MPG from Ford F-150 EcoBoost Pickup - PickupTrucks.com News

That was for before the more efficient 2.7 Ecoboost was available. Wayne Gerdes has done reviews of other pick ups, including diesels.

The 2001 Ranger 2WD with 3.0L V6 has a revised rating of 15city/20highway/17combined. Ours was Trailhead package, which had larger wheels than the base 4WD, and a 4.0 differential ratio. I was returning 22 to 23 MPG on my commute.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and fuzzy1 like this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was a regular at CleanMPG, Wayne would hypermile anything. He tried preaching to the Dinosaur crowd too, knowing full well that improved practices there would save disproportionately large amounts of fuel. But I don't believe that crowd paid anywhere near as much attention as we smaller car owners did.

Somewhere along the line, Ford even sponsored one of his long distance MPG stunts, taking a brand new version Ford Pickup coast to coast. And he produced great results.

Not the much of the pickup market paid attention. :-(

----
    PS. Thanks Trollbait for finding (and beating me to) a link.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and pilotgrrl like this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We were actually getting people looking to save fuel in their trucks at Gassavers.org. Some mentioned being greeted with "get a car" at other sites. Haven't seen any since the switch to Fuelly.

16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I traveled extensively for work, I used to travel to Houston and at the National rental counter they always had a wide selection of pickups.

Grabbed a different brand until I had the 4 major ones covered. The best I did in flat Houston was in a Dodge Ram where 24 mpg was achieved:).

The worst: the Toyota Tundra which I couldn't get over 18 mpg:(.

These were all straight v8 pickups no diesels.

Out here in the way home to smokey Fairfield this evening I was coal rolled 3 times by the diesel driving bumpkins :(.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My wife's company gave her a used (by the founder, his wife hated it) Tahoe SUV to drive. (They gave 'her' used Xterra to the janitor. Trickle down theory) It averages 15.5 MPG but I can get 18 MPG by using the fact that when decelerating or going downhill it has cylinder deactivation. (in effect, I 'glide' downhills and to a stop)

Just like a Prius, speed kills MPG. Choosing a slower route save more than 'gliding' on a faster route.

Since the company pays for fuel and maintenance, it does not save us any money to drive frugally, but I can't stop.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2000 Tundra V8 extended cab and I know I have got 25 mpg on long highway trips.
    They have since made the Tundra larger to compete with the Ford F-250.

#18 Prodigyplace, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's with the smaller v8 (4.6 L)? More recent versions have the 5.7L and IMO not designed with fuel economy in mind:(.

A couple of guys at work have tundras (one a 2008 and one a 2015). They both get about 13-16 mpg in them. The 08 has 170 k miles on it. That's a heavy fuel bill:eek:.

RCO likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see online they say 4.7L but close enough. My 2000 only has about 50K miles on it.
    When we got it the dealer apparently did a trade and had it driven from Tennessee to Virginia. :eek:. It had about 500 miles on it when we bought it new. Now ask me why I dislike my local dealer. :mad:

RCO, pilotgrrl and Raytheeagle like this.
  21. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm sure they gave you a great deal on it;).

4wd version? If so with 500 miles on it new, I would have checked the underside for weeds in the suspension as the staff may have taken some off road liberties to better understand the Tundras fitness for service.

50k miles is just starting to break it in(y).

RCO likes this.
  22. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope 2WD with the option that had ABS & DRLs. On a Tundra forum, somebody asked how to disable the DRLs and they were told they needed to remove the ABS. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Actually the dealer did more. We initially wanted the no-charge bench seat. This truck originally came with the leather interior. The dealer had a 4WD Tundra wof the same color so they switched interior parts. :eek:
    When I first drove our truck, it had a non-functional 4WD dash switch. I later had to take it back because the disable air bag switch key switch did not fit my key. :(:mad:

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.