1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swap Washer Fluid Lines

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by energyideas, Oct 16, 2018.

1. energyideas

energyideas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably been thought of before but just thought to report on swapping the washer fluid lines on a gen 3 2012 with 105k miles. No maintenance on this car except tires and oil thus far. The washer pump for the windshield seemed to have stopped working. Took off the hose at the hood and blew towards the pump, bubbles up in the washer fluid tank, pump still didn't work. 15 amp fuse still good. Pulling back the fender shrouding for the front passenger's side in front of the tire revealed two hoses, marked with a white and a red. I pulled both off their respective jumpers and reattached to the opposite hose. The back washer will now work, but that was relatively useless anyway. Now I have washer fluid to the front windshield. This saved a huge amount of work to remove the bumper and wheel well to replace an expensive pump. Just FYI, hope this helps.

energyideas

bisco and Pluggo like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not understanding how this made it work?

3. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recently the front washer pump failed on my 2012, a new aftermarket pump cost me around $15.00 off Amazon and the most tedious aspect of the repair was removing the panels to get to the pump. Honestly, since you already had removed the panels to get access, you should have just replaced the broken pump.

4. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has two washer pumps, front and rear; he plumbed the rear windshield washer pump to pump fluid to the front windshield. Sure it works, but a new pump is cheap and fairly easy to replace.

5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    are both the same pumps?

6. energyideas

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Panels weren't removed, just went in through the crack. 5 minutes.

7. energyideas

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply GFO. The Youtube videos showing washer pump replacement seem difficult to me, having to remove the front end, bumper and wheel well surfaces. Is there an easier way?

energyideas