1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swapping batteries: whole unit swap or keep computer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bucci, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Bucci

Bucci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, looking for some advice on battery swapping.

I have an 06 prius with 240k miles with 3 year old Toyota battery pack and bad body rut--rocker panels completely shot.

We bought an 07 prius with 138k miles in good shape with 15 year old battery.

I swapped the new battery into the 07 prius -- just moved the whole pack, computer/battery whole deal.
    Got a Christmas tree of lights including red triangle.
    Disconnected 12 v battery a few times and now it looks fine, is charging battery, no codes.

Should I have kept the original computer with the 07 and swapped in just the battery pack?
    Seems ok but just wondering if there are long term problems I should be aware of.

Figuring I will junk the 06 but any other ideas what to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No you did the right thing taking the whole mess the front end of the battery with the computer and everything when you take out the old battery the 15-year-old one unbolt the computer and front end off that battery pack to save Don't throw that out doesn't matter what you do with the rack but definitely save the front end and the computer you may need it The cells you probably won't. Sell them to someone who wants to play .

3. Bucci

Bucci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

Buttoned the "new" 07 up and took for 20 minute test drive and seems all good.

I'm in a quandary on what to do about junking the rusty 06.

I can put the 15 year old battery (still working) in the rusty 06 and get $800 for junking it if its mobile and has catalytic converter.
    If I keep the battery its worth like $200.
    What's the chances the hybrid battery ECU will crap out in next 5 years? Does this happen a lot?
    Paul

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that often. i would put it together and sell it, people are desperate these days

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Get the most out of it that you can a 15-year-old batteries not got a lot of life left so it made me worth the extra 600 bucks to drop it in there and drive it over and get the $800 instead of the two I wouldn't worry about the computer front end on the other battery it's not worth that they're plentiful and when you get another car built up and you need a battery by then options will be unlimited problem probably