Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Camshaft position sensor

#261 Jacob Bonner, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 'Orrible Oracle

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Better?

Attached Files:

Jacob Bonner likes this.
  3. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Latest update: I tested all three wires on the camshaft sensor connector. For these tests, I punched the start button twice without my food on the gas pedal, to turn on car without starting engine.

Tested the constant wire (black), and the reading is anywhere from 5 to 5.3 volts.
    Tested the continuity on the ground wire (white), and I do have continuity.
    Back probed the signal wire (red) while the connector was connected to the sensor, I got 1.22 ohms of resistance.
    While back probing the signal wire (red) I also tested the voltage, and got no signal (though I'm not 100% sure if I'm suppose to be getting signal at this point).

While back probing the signal wire, am I suppose to ground the tester to the engine or ground to the ground wire in the connector?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure how much help I can offer, as you're far beyond anything I've attempted with a gen3/4. But I will take the lead (without pointing fingers, maybe some of the OG swappers will step up?) and work through this step by step, hopefully we you can figure this out with a little help.

Just to clarify, there are no other DTCs currently showing (yes, you aren't using Techstream.. yet)

Two button presses without a foot on the gas brake pedal, would be IG(nition)-ON

The workup for DTC P0343 starts at page 2402 (of 7595) in the gen3 manual (linked above, loads faster if saved locally. Wish we collectively had a reference copy of the gen4 manual), now skip down to page 2407, hold the sensor wire with the clip end at 12 o'clock, probe pin 3 [ D18-3 (VC) ] on the right side (same black wire?) and test to body ground, the manual says it should read between 4.5v and 5.0v for 'standard voltage'. If you're reading 5.1v or above, then this could be the problem and we'll you'll need to move on to the next step in the workup : NG > CHECK HARNESS AND CONNECTOR (CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - ECM)

5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having reread the thread, I think the answer is to remove the timing cover and reset the cam/crank relationship. The “clunk clunk” sounds were likely the chain jumping over the camshaft gear.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't the timing cover, cam, and chain tensioner be left undisturbed during the swap?

7. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yes, but the tensioner is held in place by two things. A spring loaded tang and engine oil pressure. If the tang is worn/broken, then the lack of oil pressure against it would allow slack in the chain.

SFO likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a way to prevent such a thing from happening during future swaps?

How long could a spring loaded tang be expected to last given normal wear, or when using a dealer maintenance schedule?
    If known, how many miles might you have on that used gen4 replacement engine?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 'Orrible Oracle

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  10. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even though my engine was around 10k miles, I put a new OE tensioner on when I did my swap.