Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks. Yeah it just seems like a lot of grief dealing with EGR and exhaust while the engine's still in. I've taken the EGR off and what a pain.

Appreciate that I keep firing questions at ragingfit and you keep fielding them. (y)

2. cnc97

cnc97 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ve been off work the last couple of days. Been fielding DM’s from another member asking the same or similar questions about the swap. And it looks like a friend of mine here locally is getting ready to do this swap for himself. So the questions are being asked from all directions.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. cnc97

cnc97 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The worst part of removing the EGR is that bottom bolt on the cooler. A deep socket, plus a one inch extension plus a swivel socket plus a longer extension(8-10 inch) is how I got mine off. Then I slipped a small magnet into the socket to start the nut back on.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And yet another question: I gather it was only due to the recipient car (in the video) being a v that the transaxle damper swap was not enough, that he had to go to swapping the whole flywheel?

I got the sense he was not expecting that complication, and that was because his previous swap was Prius/Prius, and damper swap was all that was needed in that case.

For one scary moment I thought he'd hit an impasse, that it was not going to work, full-stop. Was a relief to see the solution.

5. cnc97

cnc97 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The damper and flywheel are the same on the V and the Gen 3. The Gen 4 damper and flywheel are different. To go from Gen 4 to Gen 3/V, you have to use the 3/V damper and flywheel

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I've been there. The sandpounder for me, watching the video: you don't need to remove the lower stud, just the nut off the end of it. Which is hard enough, lol. But you can leave the stud on, still get the cooler off, if everything else is removed.

Again yeah, if that can be left until after the engine's out, so much easier.

And still very tantalizing: could the fourth gen EGR somehow be used...

7. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The transaxle has a couple of alignment pins, the input shaft is splined and chamfered so it goes back together blind. Of course as with anything, if you have to force it you're going to break it. I always wiggle engines or transmissions to get them to seat before I put the screws to them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Done.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is awesome. Nice to know i can use a 4th gen motor on a 3rd gen.
    [​IMG]