1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 28, 2018.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So this engine I got has been in a wearhouse who knows how long so when starting for first time what should be done? Prime it, I plan to crank it with my electric drill for a minute or so. I plan on new coolant new oil, also do we replace the oil filter holder or use what looks like old metal can oil filters?

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The oil filter is a matter of personal preference. You can put the Gen 3 oil filter housing on, or use the Gen 4 spin on oil filter adapter. Either way is going to be fine. I might even go as far as pulling the valve cover, and lubing the top end with assembly lube. I used this product.

Semi-Synthetic Assembly Lube

3. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    great but do I need to prime the engine would it be a good idea to crank it with an electric drill just to get the oil and all the right places before starting it up

4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Most parts stores used to offer a pressure oil tank. You could add oil to it, pressurize it to 30-40 psi, and attach it where the oil pressure sensor is. Then when you open the valve, voila, the engine is prelubed.

SFO likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In one of the last @Ragingfit videos he does something like make the engine “on” (not “ready”), and monitors oil pressure, by monitoring voltage on a sensor IIRC.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What did that do for him? The oil pump is chain drive, only when the engine runs, therefore only when READY?

I suspect that trying to crank over a 2ZR with a drill might let the magic smoke out of the drill. That was a trick I remember more from engines where the oil pump got spun by the distributor shaft, say, and you could pull the distributor and use a drill to turn only just the oil pump by itself. Even so, I smoked one drill just doing that. On a 2ZR you don't even have such access to spin the oil pump from outside.

But there's a nice thing about how a Prius starts the engine anyway. It uses MG1 to spin the engine up to full idle speed with no fuel or spark, and only then does it turn the fuel and spark on. Kind of like priming every time it starts.

7. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK is there anyway to know the year or what car this engine came from based on the valve coveer and this grey thing? still not sure wht it is. thumbnail_IMG_20210303_205945.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20210303_173737.jpg IMG_20210303_205931.png

8. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any benefit to using the Gen 4 intake and throttle body? what about the hoses? is there a best practices on which to use or buy any pics anyone can point me to?? Shoot any tips at all, Im diving deep into this on Saturday and don't want to half to drive an get anything I want to have it all ready to go. Im even going to change the trans fluid while im at it might as well. I have learned that trimming the nub for gen 3 EGR fit is easier out of the car also soldering the temp sensor seems easier without the engine in the engine bay any other suggestions?

9. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

On the exhaust side of the engine, just behind the timing cover, it may have a VIN tag. You could do a VIN search on google if the tag is there.

10. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a JDM engine I was told they have no vin. but based on the toyota emblem as I have seen some with and some without what would be your guess?

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  12. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Install the Exhaust Gas Recirculation components before dropping it in? And just leave the lower cooler bolt (and stud) off

You might need to loosen everything slightly before connecting to exhaust.

Never mind: 4th gen engine? The EGR doesn’t connect, free spans between exhaust and intake.

14. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can anyone shed some light on using the gen 3 egr and intake on the GEN 4 engine and yes I know there is a video but that is more for the V mine does not have the line that goes to the cat. you can see there is an extra line gen 3 only three & gen four you get 4. where does the extra one go Screenshot_20210304-104611 (1).png Screenshot_20210304-104536 (1).png IMG_20210303_214652.png .

15. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I don't have a V and I found that the video more than addressed the options!

Is the EGR cooler mounted up to the Gen4 EGR valve in this pic? When you use all of the Gen3 parts, the Gen3 Cooler is not really going to bolt beside the engine like the Gen4 would.

Which version of the exhaust mani are you using?

#675 Ultimate_Combination, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  16. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason why everyone points you to the video is because RagingFit has indeed addressed many of the things you're asking or sometimes even before you ask.
    I've watched all parts in 2 sittings the first time, then went over them again and took notes...then used those notes to skip to which video covers what...and then revisited the video again when I had questions about certain pieces that were there in certain parts. Now saying all of this, I still had to use a bit of figuring things out and especially being very creative to solve the many issues that popped up during my turn.

Best advise I can give to you is to mark everything, organize everything and take many pictures! Also, this is why I advised earlier in another thread that in order to make things as smooth as possible, I used my Gen3 Intake, EGR and Exhaust. Remove as many things as you can from the Gen4 engine to make this visually, such as the Gen4 parts I've just mentioned and tubing- you're replacing the core engine! I thought I would try to use my Gen4 EGR until I couldn't make sense as much as I could on the diags and videos showing how you'd modify the cooling. Take your time, especially when it comes time to fit that Gen3 EGR over the gooseneck temperature sensor (Part 12)!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    everything matches except there is an extra hose. see the pic with orange power lines? that is my gen 3 hoses look at the gen
    Sounds good thanks.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s 4th gen JDM? Different pollution control regs? Stating the obvious, I know.

20. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What are you saying it won't pass smog?