1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 28, 2018.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The engine looks right how much are they asking for it and what did you pay for the Prius

Ragingfit and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I paid 2600.00. That includes $300 for a hybrid battery from a car with 100k miles. It was a package deal. I paid 1730 for engine. That included 131 for sales tax from CA. All more than what I wanted to pay, but the body and interior are in great condition for a 2012. Just worried about the tranny failing, but I guess I can swap that if it fails.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Great the interior is very important if you plan to keep it. not bad I paid 1400 engine delivered by accident if you can believe that.
    TIps buy the long needle nose for coolant clamps and LED light from harbor freight also change the oil for the trans while you have the engine out.
    also buy two oil change containers one for oil one for coolant as you may need to do it a couple of times trust me. Also extend the coolant temp wire while the engine is out trust me. also grind off anything needed while engine is on hoist again trust me .

#863 johnnychimpo, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Ragingfit likes this.
  4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The actual risk of trans failure is low. Not zero, but it’s more likely that an accident will take your Prius from you, based on the number of miles reported driven by all of the Gen 3 owners worldwide.

seeker311 and Ragingfit like this.
  5. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Based on worldwide statistics what is the average mileage when the trans fails.

6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I have been on this chat board for three years, since I bought my Prius. I have only read of four failures. One of them was a snapped input shaft when the damper came apart. The others still operated, but they were noisy. Unless someone else remembers one that I don’t.

Ragingfit likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the transaxle failures often the head gasket leaking and subsequent hydrolock, playing havoc with the flywheel/damper twix engine and transaxle.

8. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well if there are minimal possibilities of trans failures, I think we've got a tank here. Engine should be shipping from CA to TX today. Will be pulling old motor and stripping it down this week.

9. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And how many damper failures and are there warning signs? Is my engine swap I noticed the transition between the downshifting and upshifting based on the mg1 and mg2 now that could be strictly from the new engine providing more torque am I wrong or has anybody else noticed a difference when they swap their engine and the way they can feel the power shift between the transmission and the engine

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think when you hear that slamming during cold start, that’s the “buck stopping”, at the damper?

11. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Mine has a slightly sloppy rear engine mount. I’m just too lazy to put the work into changing it at this time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any update??

13. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi all. 98% done with swap. As stated, the coolant lines are the most confusing part and that's where I need clarification. I have @Ragingfit coolant diagram, thank you, but there is a discrepancy which I don't understand. It is the hose that goes to the thermostat. Does it go to the egr or the heater core? If it goes to the egr, then the hard line isn't even used. Any prompt help is highly appreciated as I am right in the middle of this operation. Also, my junction piece that mounts to the engine has a plastic piece that comes off the back with a sensor. Any insight on that?
    Thank you View attachment 212009 DSC_5021.JPG DSC_5022.JPG

Ragingfit likes this.
  14. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, just saw this. Engine installed.. Working on coolant lines. Need to extend the thermostat wire and disconnect the fuel line. Almost there. Lots of small issues. Like the vacuum switch needed to be rotated 180 degrees. I cut off the mounts for the 3rd gen egr cooler. The raging fit vids had some differences that I didn't understand, or that weren't relevant to my engine. Almost there. Will report full list of mods with pics once up and running.

15. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Montgomery likes this.
  16. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The coolant line to the thermostat goes from the bottom, front of the old EGR cooler to the thermostat housing.
    - Fix That Prius !!!

#876 Ragingfit, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    seeker311 likes this.
  17. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome! Thank you so much. That's what I ended up doing. Going to fill up the fluids today and fire her up. So if that's the case, then the hard line that is on the 4th gen motor that used to connect to the tstat is not used and can be removed?

Thanks again!

18. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Attached Files:

19. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice pics! Thanks! It looks like I'm connected correctly. Still looking for verification the hard line is not used. I know it's not from what the diagrams show, but I'm just looking for clarification. If not used, why no discussion of removing it. I'm starting to wonder if the 2016 uses it and that's what goes to the tstat, but then what would route to lower egr pipe as ragingfit states. Also, I think I have a 2017 engine. It uses a metal oil filter, vs the 2016 which uses a cartridge.

Ragingfit likes this.