Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 28, 2018.

1. -JnC-

-JnC- Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Finished, thank you so much for all the help. It was a pain to put the prius in maintenance mode as while doing the procedure there is no indication on the display that the car is in maintenance mode. I found out later that the indicator of maintenance mode is the car icon with exclamation mark. I bled the system, topped off the coolant reservoir, checked the oil a couple of times and topped that off as well. Everything seem to be working fine, car couldnt move right now though as the brakes are frozen, the fact that it had been parked for several months didnt help especially with all the rain we had this year. Tomorrow's agenda is to service the brake system, a much needed wash and detail.

It took a few seconds for the car to shrug off that rattle that most 3rd gen prius' are known for, after that it has been smooth, just a very slight rattle at higher RPM, I have to find the source of that noise as the motor itself is very smooth and quiet.

The wires coming out of the temp sensor seem to be squished between the EGR cooler to air intake pipe, I need to figure out a solution for that as over time it may cause a short (may be its my OCD).

2. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    THE FULL SWAP! ANYONE?
    of those who have got a gen 4 intake exhaust manifold EGR cooler and exhaust pipe I have questions.

1. is the car quieter as I see gen 4 and they are almost silent while mine (gen3 with gen4 engine) is noisy as I suspect the gen 3 intake and exhaust aren't the best matchup, but work.

2.Do you get better MPG with the complete swap?

3.two things.

A. how much play does your car have once in park, mine about 4 to five inches normal???

B. is it just me or does everyone have a metallic popcorn sound coming from the transmission bell housing? I replaced the damper so its not that.

SIDE NOTE

I have a friend who swaps engines on Prius gen 3 exclusively and expressed to me that he has not seen a gen 4 come in for a head gasket.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Speaks volumes. (y)

farmecologist likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's really wonderful I guess about the Gen 4 engine I don't really know what they've done it's still a ZZ engine and I've had those since the 1zz. I mean it seems to me all these head gasket problems are creeping up in the 230 plus range generally speaking and by then in my mind Toyota's completely out of the game you're over 150,000 mi and those are just the chances you take with any car even though my Corolla with the 1ZZ went 500,000 mi with none of the apparent problems most of the Priuses won't make 240 or a lot of them won't it's just the price you pay so putting in a rebuilt or a low mileage and taking that to the 230 240. It seems reasonably worth it but if you're paying retail for all this and going to wind up spending five or six grand on the car and it's certainly makes me think a lot of other things The 13 is the only car I've ever lost on to me that says something to myself The only car only vehicle I've ever lost on is the 13 Toyota Prius I even have a 2010 here one of the first Gen 3's must have slip through quality control or something because it's up in the 270 range and has it never made a hiccup just luck it's my wife's car I didn't want to buy it in the first place The only reason it was purchased because it's red it's a woman thing

SM-A715F ?

5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

That sound like a great sign news...especially since the gen 4's have been out there since the 2016 model year now. (y) Still might be a little early in terms of years to make a definitive blessing on these engines though.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also a testament to how royally they eff'd up with 3rd gen and v.

Montgomery likes this.
  7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    No doubt! including our Prius v ( head gasket ). And our 2010 liftback consumed oil.

That's part of the reason I went with a used Prius C for our daughter after the 2010 liftback was totaled in an accident over the summer. Just not willing to put up with the Gen3 crap anymore! Well...until the Prius v bites the dust, that is. (y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.