1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

swapping transaxle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Jan 21, 2014.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck with this endeavor. I know this has been a ongoing project for you. I hope it works out for the best. (y)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After seeing a mechanic tackle this swap with proper equipment and tools, I can't see how anyone would want to attempt this at home without a lift. It really is a major repair, not for the average Mechanic. There are so many wires/plugs/bolts, it can be quite difficult to keep track. The tutorials make it look easy but there is so much involved once you take on the job.

I can see why Luscious Garage charges $1360 for this job, it's quite labor intensive.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi JC,

Now that you are on a good path to complete the transaxle replacement project, I would like to ask you to please look at the failed transaxle and respond to the following questions:

1. The repair manual shows three sensor connectors: Motor (MG2) Revolution Sensor, Motor Stator, and Generator Motor (MG1) Revolution Sensor. Are there any other sensor connectors besides those three?
    2. Can you please take photos of each connector and post. How many electrical contacts are in each?
    3. Try to unbolt each sensor connector. When the connector is removed from the transaxle case, what does the inside look like? Is it possible to remove the actual sensor or is it buried deep within the transaxle (this addresses your question above.)
    4. It is a pretty big job to disassemble the transaxle, but if you are interested in doing so and can expose the MG2 stator winding, it would be fascinating to see the damage to the stator. Please take lots of photos and post if you decide to pursue this.

I hope your mechanic is going to use 4 US quarts of Toyota ATF WS, and a gallon of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. Make sure he does not substitute any inferior fluids for those. If necessary, visit your local dealer's parts dept to obtain the correct fluids.

Yes, our group is blessed with some very intrepid members who demonstrate unusual persistence and energy, and despite the lack of professional shop facilities, can achieve remarkable results. Anyone who can successfully remove and replace a Prius transaxle at home deserves lots of recognition by the group.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've looked at all the sensors on the transaxle and there are only 3. I've also removed the connectors as one of the connectors on the replacement transaxle is damaged and I have to change it. It's an easy swap, just unplug and plug back. It's not buried inside the transaxle, the electrical connectors are right where you unbolt. I believe they all have 8 electrical contacts to them. I'll have pictures later.

Since the Mechanic is providing all the labor, I'm providing him with all the fluids for the change. There is a supplier in town that has amazing rates for fluids. $17 for SLLC and $6.75 for WS. Can't go wrong with that. I plan to change out all the coolant while this thing is taken apart. I purchased 2 axle seals at the stealer for $14 each.

usnavystgc and Patrick Wong like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sensors are buried deep inside the transaxle, you would have to take everything apart to get to it. The question I had about changing the sensor, I may not have understood the seller, he may possibly have meant the connectors are broken. I don't see how the sensors inside can be damaged, it's buried inside.

6. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was wondering if the connectors are broken, not a bad sensor myself. Used transaxles rolling around in a truck bed break the sensors frequently. Rebuilt transaxles come with broken sensor plugs at times too.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many breakers do not disconnect the many electric cables going to and from the transmission cutting them instead. This could also be an explanation of the broken sensors.

John (Britprius)

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is taking a bit longer than expected. The transaxle is out of the car but the replacement hasn't been installed yet. The shop was too busy to work on it on Saturday. I think they are continuing today or possibly tomorrow to finish.

I changed out the connectors on the replacement transaxle with the ones from my car. The ones on the replacement were very dirty, it was very easy to swap them out. There was 1 plug that had lots of thick gel on it, looked a bit like thick yogurt. It was a bit pinky/violet in color. Maybe it's used as an insulator.

Attached Files:

Patrick Wong likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to be taking this transaxle apart this coming week to get to the MG2 and see the damage inside. I noticed the transaxle had what appears to be a really bad leak around the seal. I looked through all the dealer service records for the car but there was never any mention of a seal leak. It's in a pretty wide area around the seal (really greased up area, uploaded picture). My mechanic said it wasn't a leak in the seal but I can't think where this could be coming from. The engine isn't leaking anything.

Attached Files:

10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Most likely this is just grease used to install the axle.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the inner CV boot that is adjacent to this area OK? I agree that I would not expect to see so much grease and debris in the area unless something was leaking.

Is the replacement transaxle installed and operating now?

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have to ask him about the CV boot. I did bring his attention to the grease/debris but he said it wasn't from a leak.

I haven't driven it home yet. I'm thinking it's complete. I went last night and saw the inverter was installed and he only had to put the axles and some other bolts back. I don't want to rush him as he's never done this before and there were lots of wires and bolts. Don't want him to miss any of them. ;)

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think he'll charge 8 hours to do this swap ever again. It was a learning experience for both of us but he certainly has spent double the hours to do this swap.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright, I need some help here.

Went to pick up my car tonight and find out the mechanic can't get it to start. He thought I was out of town so he didn't call me to tell me that problem. He said he tried to clear the codes (which didn't show up on his snap-on scanner), he even tried to jump start the car thinking the battery was low.

Anyways, I hooked up my newly purchased MiniVci and got 2 codes. I erased them but one of them came back and won't let me start the car.

Code P0A0D and C1378. The 2nd code I cleared and so far didn't come back. P0A0D won't go away and the car won't start. Some high voltage error.

What do you guys think I should do next?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just read some threads online that points to the hv battery plug not put back properly. I have to try that tomorrow, I don't remember pushing down to lock it in. I just push the plug back in and lifted the orange lever up. Hopefully that's my problem.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that is exactly the problem behind DTC P0A0D. After you pivot the orange interlock lever 90 degrees, you need to slide the lever to lock it in place.

An alternative explanation for that DTC is that the inverter cover is not properly installed, allowing an interlock switch to be open. However that is less likely.

"So total would be $480 plus fluids/seals."
    "I don't think he'll charge 8 hours to do this swap ever again. It was a learning experience for both of us but he certainly has spent double the hours to do this swap."
    If you find that the mechanic did a good install job and the car actually runs well, maybe he deserves a sizable tip (like another $480).

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes the mechanic definitely deserves a good tip for a job well done....especially with Chinese New Year around the corner.

The car did start up after pressing down on the HV Battery lever. Runs beautifully, only needs an alignment now. I guess him taking apart everything up front threw the alignment off a bit. Overall it's a very successful swap. No trouble codes came up after 15 minutes of driving.

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Congratulations on your success. I hope that you and your Prius have a long, happy life. Please drain and refill the Type WS ATF in 60k miles and do a lab test (if you saved the old ATF from your failed Tranny, do a lab test on that as well.) Just as an aside, had you done regular ATF drain/refills on the old tranny?

JeffD

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

This car is not my car, a friend's car. I just have it as an educational piece. I've been offered the car, I might take him up on it, just have to sell my 2006. I can't have that many Prii's at my house.

To my knowledge the old tranny fluid was the original fluid. The car was purchased used at 80k miles and now has 152k. From that point there was no service to the transaxle fluid. The owner was offered a service at 139k from the dealer to change the fluid, but he declined. I can't find records before 80k. The car is dealer serviced since 80k.

Before doing this swap, I did change out the WS fluid to see if that would fix the issue, however that didn't work. I didn't keep the old fluid but it looked very dirty, the color was not red.

I actually don't know if the fluid was the cause of the failure. The transmission logged a DTC that associated with MG2 failure. I don't think any fluid goes to the MG2. Also there was a TSB I found listed on Luscious Garages blog that addressed the MG2 failure from 2004-2006 and early 2007 models. This is an issue that carries the carb warranty 10yr/150k miles in CA. This car didn't qualify as it is at 153k today.

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The reason I focus on the ATF is because I have been doing ATF Drain/Refills every 60k miles (four so far) in my 2004 Prius and sending samples to be lab tested. There is a rapid buildup of metallic particles in the first few thousand miles that slows down as the Transmission gears "lap in". That is why I have always promoted that Prii owners do an early (about 30k miles) drain/refill and then repeat every 60k miles thereafter.

I have heard of several Prius transmissions failing (Most were MG winding issues), but all of them were still using their original fill of ATF. Not a proof, but suggestive of causality.

I have attached my ATF lab reports here.

JeffD

Attached Files: