1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

swapping transaxle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

It would just be cheap insurance to keep the fluids changed at a reasonable mileage. My mechanic is so reasonable on his rates, I almost never do any of the fluid changes myself. I just bring him the fluids and he changes them. $10 labor on oil changes, $20 on the tranny oil changes. Where else can you find that? I change my fluids often so I don't normally have lubrication issues. My 2008 is an exception, I changed to ow-20 and the car hasn't been the same since....burning that's noticeable after a couple thousand miles, seems too thin. I don't think I'll use 0w-20 again, it's not engineered for the GenII......except outside the USA (strange)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few years ago, I had a similar experience with the 2004 using Toyota 0W-20 when I lived in Orange County, and switched back to 5W-30. I agree that viscosity is not appropriate for 2G unless you have relatively cold ambient temps.

Oil consumption has continued although at a reduced rate, at 165K miles the engine is now using ~1.5 quarts per 5K miles, not the end of the world.
    Yes, the front wheel alignment needs to be checked since the front suspension was removed to allow the transaxle to be dropped out from the bottom of the car.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Taking apart the old transaxle might be more difficult. While talking to my mechanic, I expressed interest in taking apart the transaxle at his shop (where he has all the power tools), he said it will be very difficult but I'm welcome to try....

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that you can easily separate the two halves of the transaxle by removing 21 bolts that hold the case together. I'm not sure how visible the MG1 and MG2 stators will be at that point. It probably will be hard to do much more disassembly beyond separating the two halves as that requires taking the gears apart, etc.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

From what I was told, only 1 end of the transmission would be able to be taken apart with ease. The side with the (drive shaft?) would be very hard to take apart. The other side is the side that can come easily apart.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could be. If you go ahead with that project, please take lots of photos and post.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to say "Kudos" to JC and the mechanic. I keep thinking "what if" JC gave the guy his car back or at least said give me $1000 and drive your Prius again.

What a "Pay it Forward" it would be if JC just flat out gave it to the guy.

But that's all "what ifs!"

Glad to hear that the job got completed and was successful. :)

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Late to the party here. I would have mentioned to replace the trans inner cvt seal where the inner cvt penetrates the differential. That seal should be replaced on both sides if the cvt's were replaced and I would have done it on a bone yard trans. If seals not replaced keep careful eye on the trans for leak. Maybe a big piece of cardboard under the front of car. look in that area carefully every time under there for a while. Would be horrible to loose the trans cause a seal was blown out and all the fluid leaked out. Very easy to damage seal installing the cvt inner's.

Also if your going to pull the trans apart its well worth it to rent a big impact gun. I like Dewalts electric 1/2 inch impact.
    Its a beast and you can tear into it pretty quick. My local rent joint charges $15 a day.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for everyone that helped out in getting this transaxle swapped successfully. I had many questions but they were all answered and it is definitely a job well done!!

The breakdown of the repair cost is:

$250 for transaxle from salvage yard
    $480 for 8 hours of labor at shop
    $28 for 2 axle seals
    $44 for necessary fluids
    $50 Alignment
    $80 tip for mechanic (I gave him $200 in a red envelope for Chinese New Year, he refused such a generous tip, said he'll take $80 cause it's a lucky number)

Total cost - $932

I did speak with my friend and told him the final cost of the repair. He couldn't believe it could be fixed for under $1000. He won't be back in town until next month, he said he would come get it and pay me $1500 for my efforts.

I didn't want him to give me anything extra but he insisted....for Chinese New Year.

dorunron, Britprius and Patrick Wong like this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I did replace 2 axle seals, I'm not sure if it's the same as the seals you mentioned. Those were the only 2 seals my mechanic said required a replacement. Everything else looked good.

I'm planning to use my mechanics power tools to take this transaxle apart. But I won't have anytime until next week. Superbowl and everything else going on, it'll be a busy weekend for me.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the detailed accounting. Glad to hear that everyone involved with the car appears to be very happy with the outcome.

If you end up with lots of good photos, please post in a separate string. Maybe we can designate that as a sticky if you find out something noteworthy about the transaxle failure.

Transaxle failures are usually very interesting because they don't happen that often, are potentially very costly to resolve when they do happen because of the big labor investment required, and there are both electrical and mechanical reasons why the failure might occur. So a teardown of a failed transaxle and identification of the failure mode will become a big contribution to group knowledge.

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great deal JC, this is an excellent example of what can be done to both save money and get your car fixed. Its also an excellent example that things don't always go right the first time (as evidenced by the orange safety plug issue). This sounds so much like things I have done in the past to save money. Nowadays, I'd be the one in the garage doing it by myself. However, if someone said they'd do it for $480, it would be very hard to pass that up. :).

Good job!!!!!

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I only got the 8 hour labor quote because I went to him with the Toyota TSB stating Toyota would pay their techs 5.9 hours for the transaxle swap. Without that information, I don't think he would have quoted me 8 hours.

With that said, it was a learning experience for both myself and the mechanic. Although he spent double the 8 hours to do this swap, this was his first run on a Prius. Next time around, I'm confident he will get it close to the 8 hour mark, if not less. It's always more difficult the first time....

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes that's the seals I mentioned. Sounds like the mechanic did a good job. I would still do the cardboard under the car for a while and change the fluid out again after a 100 miles. That and keep an eye on the Inverter fluid level too.
    Things tend to move around a little after replacement.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've put about 400 miles on this car since the swap and it runs amazingly well. It actually is more fuel efficient than my other cars, averaging 48mpg. I don't know why but it's older and has higher miles but is more efficient. Haven't driven it too far as the battery is still original and I don't want to break down in the middle of nowhere.

I have a thread about swapping gen2 cells with gen3 cells, I might just do this next for fun. The owner of this car won't be here for another month, I can still play with it until then.

16. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    where can I find these tutorials as I need to do this job myself. I have swapped the engine out and a head gasket so this should not be to hard.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Techinfo.Toyota.Com

pay for a 2 day subscription and print out everything you need