1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sweet Spot for Electric Only Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SparkieBlues, Feb 9, 2011.

1. SparkieBlues

SparkieBlues New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After two works of driving and lots of testing and experimenting, I figured out a little trick Prius drivers can use. I still can't figure out what is the effect on fuel economy but you can just do it for fun. Here's how to do it.

What you'll be doing is to 'glide' using only electric power at the speed of 50-70 Km/hour or around 30-43 mile per hour. That is the sweet spot. First thing you do is accelerate just above 70 Km/hour or the upper limit of electric only gliding. Then you take your foot complete off the pedal. This will shut off the engine while the car is still moving, or 'coasting' at speed. Now gently step on the pedal. Keep an eye on the HSI, the highest you can go without starting the engine is right in the middle of the bar. If you stay on the left side of the bar, only electric motor will be used to move the car along.

So far, I found that I can accelerate from 50 to 60 km/hour using this technique can still keep up with the flow of the traffic. Anything between 60-70 km/hour, I can maintain a pretty constant speed and just glide along. This technique is best used on the road you normally take and you know well as you can plan out where are the turns and how fast you should be going. Or on any road with good traffic flow. I only managed to go like this for around a minute or two. But I feel a strange sense of satisfaction of knowing that I can moving along at a decent speed without using a drop of fuel.

So that is one of the things I do when driving my Prius. Again, I cannot claim how much fuel it will save you, but at least you have fun with it.

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I do that too, but fear I'm building a traction battery debt that will cost fuel to replenish.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Research "pulse and glide"

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly, and the debt is greater than the gain.

Tom

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But note that unless you plan to go down a hill (or do a lot of braking without accelerating), the engine will have to come on eventually to recharge the battery as the battery level drops (usually it holds off until 2 bars remaining).

Try taking your foot off and then very lightly press on the accelerator. This is the Pulse & Glide technique. You will be losing speed (unless the road is on a slight decline). Note, pumping up the tyres will reduce the rolling resistance, allowing you to roll further before having to pulse again.

6. SparkieBlues

SparkieBlues New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what your point is, but I know about pulse and glide. Tried it for a few days but I don't like it. It doesn't work for me because of the traffic where I live is too chaotic and unpredictable. My fuel economy is actually worse than my normal driving style.

For me, just plain coasting works fine.

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The point is you will find the reasoning behind the method is exactly as said in post #2. When you use electric, you are forming a gas debt most of the time. You can put it off for a while, but eventually you have to recharge.

8. SparkieBlues

SparkieBlues New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the input so far. Now let me clarify some concerns about the battery.

I don't do this at every possible moment I'm on the road. Yes, doing that will drain all battery power and the engine will kicks in the recharge it while you get stuck in traffic. I always keep my eyes on the battery power to make sure that doesn't happen. Also I only suggest doing this in moderation, on the road you are familiar with.

I mostly do this on the main road near my home. The traffic speed and the distance is just about right and I don't have to worry about battery running out as I can recharge it while driving on the engine.

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes but recharging it via the engine is less efficient then if it didn't need to be recharged at all. Yes electric is fun, but it is the opposite of efficiency without a plug-in conversion.

I use electric mode all the time around parking lots, moving the car out of the garage and back in again, or to carry 10 heavy garbage bags all the curb at once. No gas engine kicks on, no worry of a cold start problem later, and I take the mpg hit. But I do not gain efficiency with any of this.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but you have to keep in mind that traffic in Bangkok may be quite different from what we're used to.

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having seen and heard of driving in that area, I would say screw efficiency and just dont be killed or side swiped by a motorbike.

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You want to use this in extreme moderation.
    Recharging the battery using the gas engine means converting gas to kinetic motion, converting that to electric energy, storing that chemically in the battery, then when you need to use it, convert it chemically back to electrical power, converting that back to kinetic energy (wheel movement), with losses at each step.

It's much more efficient to pulse (go up to speed with the ICE gas engine), then glide with no electric or gas power for awhile, then use the gas engine again and repeat. This eliminates use of the battery and those conversion steps.

The primary benefits of the main battery is to allow the engine to turn off while gliding, coasting or stopped (or gentle acceleration for short periods of time if in stage 3, but this might be different for the Gen III Prius), without loss of power to accessories. It also provides extra power during acceleration, so a smaller engine can be used, and one that is more efficient but has less torque (atkinson cycle). Its benefit does not include driving the car only on electric power on a regular basis. This is a common misperception.

2 people like this.
  13. SparkieBlues

SparkieBlues New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I get your point now.

I have been keeping a daily records of my fuel economy and I do not notice any significant changes (positive or negative). There are too many variables to take into account and I still don't have enough data to draw any conclusion.

So far it works for me and the battery charges itself as I drive. The only time battery ever runs out is when I get stuck in serious traffic where I have to keep crawling on battery power. And I have to sit there while the engine starts to charge it up again...and again. So far that is my biggest gas debt that I know of.

14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's not a gas debt when it starts charging up with not moving. That is you finally having to pay the piper for bad driving style. The engine charges the battery no matter how low or high its SOC is (within limits). But it takes more to charge it when the SOC is low. So creeping along in traffic with electric only increases your debt. If you got to 2 bars, and then all the traffic disappeared and you got to drive steady and recharge, it would still be just as bad. Right now you are going to 2 bars, and then the engine kicks on and recharges to 3. Same payment, different installments.

Next time in traffic, dont pulse and glide. But slam the accelerator fast so that the ICE spins up and you start to creep. Then back off the pedal and glide to a stop.

15. SparkieBlues

SparkieBlues New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe you got the wrong picture here. May be I should not use the word 'crawl'. Let me explain what happen.

Morning rush hour on highway in Bangkok. When I hit the traffic, everything come to a complete stop. When traffic starts moving, it 'crawls', move very slowly anything between 2 to 10 meters, that's about 1 to 4 car length. Then everything comes to a complete stop again. Wait for a minute, then repeat the whole process. Do this for 30 to 40 minutes.

Traffic condition determines the driving style. That is not my bad driving style. It is just traffic jam. My battery was about 80%-90% before I hit traffic. Then there is no choice but to move on battery because there is no space to accelerate with gas engine without ramming the car in front. Sometimes I just get my foot off the break and let the car fill in the car in front before I have to press the break again. The engine have to charge the battery twice while I am completely immobile.

Bad for the fuel economy as well as my stress level.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're confusing his original post with the last one. The last one talks about bumper-to-bumper traffic and losing SOC because you're crawling. The original post is the one with the pulse and stealth (yes.. new term lol).

I don't like downtown traffic because of this. It drains your SOC so quickly.

17. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SparkieBlues, I agree with you here and I think that this method can work.

As a bit of background, right now my commute is about 22 miles and only 3 of those are on the highway. The rest is surface streets with speed limits that vary from 25MPH to 55MPH, but most if it is in the 35-45 range.

Now, as a bit of a disclaimer, I'm not big on pulse and glide... the traffic in the morning doesn't really support it and I find it takes a bit too much attention. I fully realize that I could probably do better if I was using P&G, but I'm not. Maybe someday I'll revisit that.

That said, during my commute I try to stay in electric only mode whenever I can when the speed limit is under 40. Typically I'll use the ICE to gently accellerate up to speed (leaving the HSI in the 'ECO' range), then drop back and cruise in electric only mode. Above 40 I'll gently accellerate up to speed as above, then I'll maintain my speed using the ICE.

I look ahead to anticipate lights and stopped traffic and try to coast/glide into red lights (or slow down enough so that they're green by the time I get there) as much as possible to use my brakes as little as possible.

The speed limits are arranged such that the low speed limits and high speed limits are mixed and I often drain my battery to 2 or 3 bars while I'm in a low speed limit zone in electric mode, but only rarely do I drain it so much that it needs to start the ICE before I get out of the speed zone. Then, when I'm in a zone with a faster speed limit and it has to run the ICE it also recharges the battery, so I'm set with nearly a full charge by the time I get to the next low speed limit.

Again, I fully realize that I'm getting lower fuel effeciency while the ICE is running and charging as I'm driving.

Doing this I regularly average 64-68MPG on both directions of my commute and I've managed to get into the low 70's on occasion when conditions are perfect.

Because of threads like this where people talk about how lossy the conversions are I've tried on several occassions to limit my all electric mode. I'll still accellerate slowly as I always do, and I still anticipate lights and try to use my brakes as little as possible, but once I'm up to speed I don't back off the pedal for a second to get it to shut off the ICE. Instead I just maintain my speed and let the ICE continue to run. Whenever I've tried that I can get into the high 50's, but I can't manage to break 60MPG.

I do not know... maybe I just need to spring for a PHV conversion kit so I can run in electric only mode whenever I want;)

1 person likes this.
  18. SparkieBlues

SparkieBlues New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You actually explained my ideas better than I ever could. Bravo, my friend. Bravo!

And seriously? 60+ MPG, and even over 70 on better days? You must have some serious skills to pull that off. Congrats!

19. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm new to driving Prius but found that there is great benifit in using EV at 30-40 as long as you don't go below 3 bar and can charge battery by braking and down hill events. I drove about a mile this morning doing this taking kids to day care. I have a nice down hill both ways so charging battery naturally I recon.

This said, also found out the first day got Prius, when I pushed the EV mode and drove about 1/4 mile to my daughters house that I depleted the battery and wow did I see the mpg computer drop when engine kicked in. I had to pay the price for using battery power.

I guess each driving situation would be different, bottom line two much battery use, U pay fur it!

20. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Brett, absolutely. (edit: the absolutely is about "the traffic in the morning doesn't really support it")

I also realize that mathematically EV on the Prius is not as efficient. The problem is that the blanket statement that "thus EV is always less efficient" can't be correct given our individual driving routes. I have plenty of snapshots of my mileage from one of my commutes which is only about 12-13 miles, but for which I average 24 mph, not by choice, but because those are the speeds of the routes I have to take. You can guess that when taking a half hour or more to drive 12 miles that you are in quite congested traffic, and on the one-lane road this commute is on, pulsing and gliding for maximum efficiency is near impossible (though I do it regularly anyway :-D).

Using the ICE, on the other hand, to do stop-and-go 24 mph for a half hour - well, there's no way I'd break 50 if I used only that method on this particular route.

Using a judicious combination of pulse and glide and EV to extend glides and even drive for sometime when I know I have a regen opportunity or long hill coming up where the ICE will run anyway, my record has been 67.7 mpg displayed. This is not a flat route, by the way.

On days when I've had a good SOC but the ICE runs no matter what, my average drops enormously. There's one given point where I remember arriving at 40 mpg (ICE running) and other days at 60 mpg (glide and little EV).

I do have to say, given your flat conditions down there, you could probably do even better than your already wonderful numbers with more gliding instead of EV in the slower speeds. I know pulsing at 30 mpg seems less efficient that EV, but I like to think like: 30 mpg pulse over .2 miles, then glide over .4 miles = 90 mpg, etc. In any case, cool to see another newbie like me so obsessed with their mpgs :)