1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sweet spot for used Prius to replace R.I.P. 2005?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2005dmny, Oct 24, 2019.

1. 2005dmny

2005dmny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Not sure if this is the best forum/section for this question. Correction/re-direction welcome . . . )

Our old reliable 2005 Prius (143K miles) was just declared salvage by the other/at-fault party's insurer.

There's an alternate timeline on which we'd now buy a brand new Prius Prime. But there is household disagreement about hastening down that much more expensive road for an immediate replacement for our (always a) one-car family.

So the alternate timeline is: Buy used.

I'm looking for a sense of where knowledgeable folks think the "sweet spot" is when buying a *used* Prius in today's market (in the north of NY suburbs, if that matters). Bear in mind we've been living with a 2005 for a decade and a half, so would appreciate something solid and similar, but with the upside of a used-car price without too many used-car risks.

Where in the timeline should we concentrate our search? Obviously not as old as 2005, but obviously (for purposes of this question) not new. Where's the best bang-for-buck in between, these days?

P.S. Will be getting a better settlement from the other party's insurance than I'd expected, but still only a few $K. That'll help, but we'll be spending plenty of our own bucks also.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the risks won't be any different than your '05, except that you don't know the care that was taken by previous owners.
    unless you need the nog's, i would go back to a reliable gasser like corolla and etc. for lower cost repairs of older cars.
    if you want to stay with prius, '08 and '09 are great years. but all are susceptible to battery replacement, brake actuator, combo meter a/c compressor and etc.

for something newer, short of brand new, 2014 or 15 gen3 are probably the best years, be aware of the egr clogging issue, and stay away from anything closing in on 100k.

a used gen 4 would be great, the only downside being, we don't have long history of any major weakness yet.

all the best!(y)

SFO likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen 4 is beginning it's 5th model year now and has at least as good a track record so far as Gen 2 and better than gen 3. I think it's the best bang for the buck. A used one is depreciated by several thousand dollars and still has a ton of life in it. And it's vastly more comfortable than previous generations. Not to mention the modern safety features. And, since you're in salt country, the newer the better when it comes to corrosion.

edit to add: I hope everyone is OK from the accident.

SFO likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Used cars are at all-time high prices lately and financing is still pretty easy on new ones. Food for thought.

Maybe look at a 2013, it’ll be depreciated around 50% from new yet likely still capable of serving another 6-7 years. In other words half the car for half the price.

5. 2005dmny

2005dmny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yep, all parties uninjured. Just a guy who decided to suddenly reverse from a dead stop and hurtle backwards at my car 25 feet directly behind him. No idea why he did that. Nothing hurt but the entire left front corner of my '05. :-(

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The sweet spot directly relates to how DIY you are when it comes to caring for your car. If you're allergic to car repair work than the newest you can afford is the way to go. But if you like doing basic maintenance and when problems arise you're willing to get on PriusChat and do your own diagnosis, I'd say the sweet spot is a low mileage 2009 Prius Gen2... It's going to be everything you loved about your own car but 4 years more refined and advanced. A 2009 Prius with low mileage is my dream car!

SFO likes this.
  7. 2005dmny

2005dmny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fortunately, I recognize my shortcomings. As far as cars are concerned, I'm the opposite of a DIY guy.

Plus, I already lived through replacing a hybrid battery (with, thankfully, some financial assist from Toyota). If I go used, I need to strike a balance between lower cost (higher miles) and the likelihood that the original hybrid battery will reach its EOL before I'm ready to part with what's likely only an interim solution.

#7 2005dmny, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  8. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I do not know.
    As someone who only bought used vehicles for many, many years, I've converted. Under 100k used to be "low-mileage" for me and my family. I've run lots of TCO (total cost of ownership) numbers and spreadsheets, etc. Prior to purchasing my first new car at age 35, in 2016 (a VW sportwagen for $18,500 due to dieselgate deals) and prior to my wife getting a Prime last weekend.

Summary:
    Buy a Prime LE, negotiate as low a price as you can, collect rebates and tax credits.

Result: over a proposed 150k mile lifespan, the TCO is 20-22 cents/mile. This is based on SoCal gas prices ($/kwh - both very high!), registration, insurance, etc. Could be more or less depending on your locale.
    Compare that to a full-on beater - something you buy used for a few $k and try to keep going as long as possible - and your TCO is going to be 14-17 cents/mile or so.
    For basically an extra $30-60/month, you get to enjoy the newer car. Our main reason beyond convenience and mpg, was the safety that a new Prius with TSS brings.

Don't get me wrong, we're quite frugal in nearly all aspects of our life, but owning a brand new Prius from 0 to 150k miles or more - that is not a giant step up in costs, and will likely undercut even the lowest cost vehicles out there. 60+mpg and rebates overcome the higher initial purchase price.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I recently went thru a similar decision for our daughter. Our main deciding factors:

Safety.
    Longevity/reliability.
    Price.
    Features.
    Economy.

Got a used 2018 Level II with safety package.

#9 fotomoto, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  10. 2005dmny

2005dmny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya, despite the high(er) gas prices, and especially kWhs, around here.

There's a third timeline where I buy a full-on EV, but my SO has made it plain that at present she won't live on that timeline with me unless we become a two-car family, and that's a whole 'nuther discussion.

But she'd take the baby-step of a Prime's (minimal) EV range in a heartbeat -- and it would be more than adequate for our local day-to-day stuff. We put in a 240 line on the driveway during a renovation a few years back, but had to postpone electrification because of a shortage of near-term $$ after that reno. Near-term $$ -- and our last in-residence new driver-in-training -- may force us to choose used for the first time. All things being equal, that would not have been my choice. But than, neither would I have chosen to <cough> "retire" my '05 this week.

bisco and MTN like this.
  11. Renee'

Renee' New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AutoBeYours in Scottsburg IN offers rebuilt Gen 2's with warranties. I bought my 07 last year only had 63000 miles on it. They have unbeatable prices!