1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SWI advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ragadelic, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Ragadelic

Ragadelic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Within a week or so I should be the proud owner of a 2011 Prius Two. I opted for the basic package with the intention of immediately replacing the audio unit with an aftermarket unit from Crutchfield. Crutchfield, however, seems a little ambivalent about whether or not a steering wheel audio control adapter will work with the 2011 Prius (or a 2010 for that matter) and the Clarion unit that I am considering. (And the wild card is the Prius, not the head unit.) I called PAC and they indicated that a SWI jack from them will almost certainly work with a 2010 but not necessarily with a 2011. Can anyone verify that, indeed, this will work with the 2011 Prius models? Also, is this an install that a relative noob could tackle? I am comfortable replacing a head unit but would probably have to rely on a professional install if it involves the use of a soldering iron. Any advice is appreciated. Looking forward to becoming a member of the Prius family!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The PAC SWI should work... it will required tapping into the wiring harness unless you can find a Toyota plug that fits the car-side harness (SWI doesn't come with one).

If you look in my HU DIY (see signature link) you will see what I did in that respect.

Piece of cake!

Welcome aboard BTW!

3. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might also want to consider the Metra ASWC. It's newer than the SWI and didn't require any programming, nor any splicing of any resistors . I just plugged it into my Sony unit and it worked. I'd also recommend the Metra 70-8114 since it takes care of all the wiring connections that the ASWC needs on the back end to connect to the prius wiring harness. As an added bonus it also allows you to retain the AUX port in the center console and connect it to your HU if it supports an AUX input.

1 person likes this.
  4. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do I need this Metra 70-8114 for my Prius Two (non-JBL)? I already ordered ASWC and Metra 70-1761 for my Kenwood 9980HD HU. Thanks.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for this info, I got also some ideas about aftermarket speakers :)

I was under impression based on pictures I found in I'net that ASWC comes with all cables required. Generally, I'd like to avoid any splices (if possible), so I assume that the 70-8114 is way to go.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They will be required to mate the ASWC and 70-1761. Let us know how it goes.