1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swimming with dolphins

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 9, 2007.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Sep 9 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]509829[/snapback]</div>
    It should be mentioned that these plastic grocery bags are responsible for the death of a significant percentage of wildlife. And if these dolphins snout gets caught in the handle on these bags, they'll encounter the same fate as they'll starve to death.

And to any new posters here, Daniel would not hurt a fly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 9 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]509887[/snapback]</div>
    Gasp! That's simply not true. There are plenty of offerings of muffins here on this board. Simply partake of your favorite!

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 10 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]510051[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, yes I would! I kill every fly that gets into my house if I can catch it. When it comes to flies I am a regular Charlie Manson. :wacko:

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    BTW, I've decided to go if there's space available and all the flights work out. I should know by Wednesday.

4. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope it does work out smoothly.

Have a great time! B)

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good luck and have fun. Hope your belly is agreeable with your decision. :)

6. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Will we have pictures when you get back ? Not the pucking ones. :lol:

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel, you should come out this way and do some Great Lakes sailing with us. It will bring sea sickness to a whole new level for you. A lot of the salty sailors on the ocean going freighters puke their guts out when they hit the Great Lakes. The wave motion is a lot quicker and much more choppy.

Tom

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Sep 11 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]510755[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure. I won't be taking my camera, because it's not waterproof, and even on the boat I'd be concerned about the corrosive sea air. I might or might not get a chance to pick up a disposable waterproof camera.

I think they take pictures and sell them on a CD and/or DVD. But I don't know if those will be copyrighted / copy-protected

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 11 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]510820[/snapback]</div>
    I'll take your word for it and decline the invitation.

9. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]509394[/snapback]</div>
    Better read up on the subject. Many living in large aquariums can turn on the handlers and attack, happens very often.

The ones in the wild, same thing can happen. These are Pack Animals with Pack Mentality, much like wolves.

On the Discovery Channel (or similar) there was a 1 hour show on this, with footage, etc.
    I also checked on the Intertubes with the lappy, while watching the show and after.

Decided to go against it, when I was planning to do this. Read up, know the risks, get first hand reviews from customers that really went there and experienced it, like on TravelReviews.com.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel have a good time! Just stay away from "Dolphin 56" and his/her ilk you'll be just fine. ;)

Wildkow

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Daniel have a good time! Just stay away from "Dolphin 56" and his/her ilk you'll be just fine. ;)

Wildkow

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]509724[/snapback]</div>
    That makes sense. I have snorkeled from a catamaran in Bermuda, and it was rock solid. I'm not subject to motion sickness, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a cat become sick (although I did when I broke my eardrum doing a "snuba" thing in Maui ... not a good experience!)

It sounds like a lot of fun!

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]509724[/snapback]</div>
    That makes sense. I have snorkeled from a catamaran in Bermuda, and it was rock solid. I'm not subject to motion sickness, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a cat become sick (although I did when I broke my eardrum doing a "snuba" thing in Maui ... not a good experience!)

It sounds like a lot of fun!

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Sep 11 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]510876[/snapback]</div>
    There's always some risk. But statistically, I'm much less likely to be attacked by a wild dolphin in the Bahamas than:

Falling off a mountain this summer in Canada;
    Being attacked by a bear this summer in Canada;
    Being killed or injured while driving to the airport;
    ... I could go on and on.

The Discovery Channel is entertainment. They have some good programs. But the channel itself is not reliable. I've seen programs on Discovery that presented pseudo-science as if it were science. I have no doubt that people have been attacked by dolphins. But it is a rare occurrence. If your only reason for not swimming with dolphins is fear that they may attack you, then you'd better spend the rest of your life hiding under your bed and having your meals delivered to you on a tray on the floor, because you are safer in the water with dolphins than on the street walking to the store.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 11 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]510979[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet there's a reference there that my ignorance of popular culture prevents me from getting. Dolphin 56?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 11 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]511043[/snapback]</div>
    I have been mildly sick on a catamaran. But I get sick in elevators (especially going down, more than going up). And I'll be using scopolamine the whole time.

And the latest news is that it's all confirmed. Until yesterday there was some question about whether I could get a private room, but they decided to give me one (meaning if two couples want to book at the last minute, they'd only have room for one of them). And getting flights at the last minute can be iffy. But now it's all set.

I might or might not have internet access. Probably won't on Bimini, as this is a very meditative kind of program, and they'll want to discourage business as usual. Then after the dolphins I'll be at a hotel that says they have internet access in the lobby, but it appears they don't in the rooms. So I'd check my email quickly but not spend time.

If they take pictures and sell us a CD of them, and if they allow sharing of the pics, I'll post some when I get back.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Sep 11 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]510876[/snapback]</div>
    There's always some risk. But statistically, I'm much less likely to be attacked by a wild dolphin in the Bahamas than:

Falling off a mountain this summer in Canada;
    Being attacked by a bear this summer in Canada;
    Being killed or injured while driving to the airport;
    ... I could go on and on.

The Discovery Channel is entertainment. They have some good programs. But the channel itself is not reliable. I've seen programs on Discovery that presented pseudo-science as if it were science. I have no doubt that people have been attacked by dolphins. But it is a rare occurrence. If your only reason for not swimming with dolphins is fear that they may attack you, then you'd better spend the rest of your life hiding under your bed and having your meals delivered to you on a tray on the floor, because you are safer in the water with dolphins than on the street walking to the store.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 11 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]510979[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet there's a reference there that my ignorance of popular culture prevents me from getting. Dolphin 56?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 11 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]511043[/snapback]</div>
    I have been mildly sick on a catamaran. But I get sick in elevators (especially going down, more than going up). And I'll be using scopolamine the whole time.

And the latest news is that it's all confirmed. Until yesterday there was some question about whether I could get a private room, but they decided to give me one (meaning if two couples want to book at the last minute, they'd only have room for one of them). And getting flights at the last minute can be iffy. But now it's all set.

I might or might not have internet access. Probably won't on Bimini, as this is a very meditative kind of program, and they'll want to discourage business as usual. Then after the dolphins I'll be at a hotel that says they have internet access in the lobby, but it appears they don't in the rooms. So I'd check my email quickly but not spend time.

If they take pictures and sell us a CD of them, and if they allow sharing of the pics, I'll post some when I get back.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Leaving tomorrow. They say they'll sell us a DVD of pictures. That might mean I won't be able to copy them. I'll have a disposable underwater camera, but they suggest it's better not to use a camera, so I will probably only have a few pictures. In any case, I cannot imagine that underwater pictures will be much good.

May your MFDs all show many bars of 99.9 mpg until I get back. B)

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bye Daniel! Have fun and make it back home safe.

While your away I'll be borrowing your Xebra so my MFD won't have much activity. Thanks for the good wishes though.