1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switchback DRL/turn signal LED?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by scblair, Mar 10, 2016.

1. scblair

scblair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been considering adding better daytime lights to my '11 Prius and noticed these DRL/Turn signal LED's (iJDMToy ZVW30). I didn't know if anyone had any experience directly with them on the Prius. I didn't know how easy or hard they were to install - haven't seen any instructions or how-to's out there. I don't have fog lights and the tiny city lights are barely noticeable.

If they work it would be a cheap OEM-look install without having the $200 fog lights. I'd also like to pretty my car up a bit without having it look like I drove it off the TRON set.

Input?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This was done on a prius v, but it's basically the same on the 2011 hatchback. Inexpensive DRLs utilizing the turn signal bulbs:

WebElectric DRL-2P installation into 2012 Prius v | PriusChat

Here's the website for the product, very inexpensive. Disregard the compatible model years, it will also work on the gen3 prius too.

WebElectric Products

I also have low power highbeam DRLs via an installed DRL module (link in my signature below).

There are also many LED DRL options available, but the DRLs need to be mounted, unlike ones that use existing lights already on the vehicle.

#2 xliderider, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. Topp Cat

Topp Cat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG] 7443 switch back front turn signal kit off eBay. You need a auto drl switch kit too, extend the wires for the resistor to mount on a metal surface. [​IMG]

ok scrap the auto drl switch! There lots of complaints on Amazon the unit don't work or works for a little while only, there no switch power in engine compartment fuse box. Anyone know where I can tap into for switch power?
    The kit[​IMG]

#3 Topp Cat, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
    Dylan Doxey likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Posted by sfv41901, use the pictured fuse tap and tap the circled fuse in red:

[quote uid=142705 name="FinToy" post=2312317]Hello guys. I had to dig in to an old topic not even completely relevant to my question but...<br /><br />I have installed Osram LedFog lights to my 2011 Prius and the fog part was easy. Lamps installed easy and even the wiring was very simple (they use original connectors). Anyway, the DRL part is more complicated. They require continuous voltage (which, I presume, should be easy to take from the fuse box according to the wiring instructions in the first post) and voltage when the car is "running". Can I use the mentioned brown wire in the ECU to do this job or is there any place in the fusebox where I can get 12V ONLY when the car is running?[/QUOTE]<br />Use this fuse to power ur DRLs. It's constant +12v when in ready mode<br /><br />[​IMG]<br /><br />Using this will make it easier<br />[​IMG]<br /><br /><br /> iPhone ?

5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    link?

Kcdaniels likes this.
  6. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  7. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    can you switch out the bulbs or they're one piece with the new bulb holders?
    I would just need the wiring with the 'ao-function' /

8. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The kit is pnp into existing socket, just electicial tape them together as xliderider, suggested use fuse tap into the pcu ( power control unit) to power the drl side.

9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so one can NOT switch the bulbs?

10. scblair

scblair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toppcat's solution seems more like what I was looking for. Would it be possible to tap into the city lights so that they came on with them and didn't function as always-on DRL's? I'm very much a noob at auto wiring so I get antsy about tapping into things. Plus I'm in PA and need things to pass inspection.

Will these work with the lower indicators - not the ones in the headlight housings - or not? Are they the same bulb?