1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switchback reverse turn signals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Sezy, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Our goal is to have additional light when going in reverse. To do this we need a 7443 socket and switchback bulbs. You may need resistors if you don't already have the flasher relay upgraded. If you don't your bulbs will blink fast.

20150312_192601.jpg

Cut the factory socket out with some slack. On the right is the original bulb socket. Had to grind off all but 2 tabs to get it close the the factory.

[​IMG]

The top is the new switchback. Spice the POSITIVE (green wire) and NEGATIVE (black and white stripe) for the turn signal into the turn signal wiring. NOTE factory signal wire colors may be different per side. Next give power to the new reverse by connecting it's positive to the positive
    (Red wire) of the factory reverse.

[​IMG]

Top is the new LED/turn signal below is a PIAA brand reverse bulb
    [​IMG]

Left side is original Right is LED. I think it looks too yellow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe the pictures are washed out because of the brightness but IF this results in a white light being used for a rear turn signal.......then it is not legal.

Would it not be MUCH easier to put a bigger socket and bulb into the actual backup light position ??......or are you trying to blind anybody behind the car ?? :)

3. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's a switchback bulb meaning it has both white and orange LEDS on it. It flashes orange for the flasher then goes white in reverse.

4. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    7443 sockets are on order. Going to make the reverse light a blinker so double blinkers and double reverse lights.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Why not just put in an LED that is bigger/brighter into the reverse socket?

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, brighter single led to begin with saves alot of trouble. I did the exact mod using switch backs. The yellow for turn sign and white for reverse. The combination is brighter than OEM but the switchbacks malfunctioned within a month and the manufacturer refused to replace them. I bought a second set and same thing happened. I gave up after the last bulb broke. Just get a super bright Cree led bulb to begin with solves the problem.

7. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had to modify my reverse light socket, but I put in these. I had them in my Matrix as brake lights, now I use them as my reverse lights in the Prius. Were they expensive, yes. Are they stupid bright and I can see everything behind me, yes. Totally worth it IMO.

5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM 2.5 | 1 SET

8. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sockets came in so I was able to get one side done. Really happy with how it fills more light space in the tail lights.

Had to shave tabs off the socket to fit better then wrapped in tape to give more grip.
    Snapchat-7226227722059474182.jpg

Ugly wires.
    Snapchat--2837439897174672113.jpg

I've noticed when backing up if I hit the flashers they go orange which should be ok since I never have a turn signal on when reversing.

9. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Current setup, all 4 are the same style switchbacks.

20151021_193333.jpg 20151021_193353.jpg 20151021_193403.jpg