1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switched my Prius Prime to Nissan Sentra... and was pleasantly surprised

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Salamander_King, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Nissan is an expert at “builds to a price”
    They failed at improving batteries so they removed cost in the ways you noted.

Nissan is amazing when you understand they can build profitable $5000 MSRP cars overseas just as they can build $12,000 profitable cars here, bad side effects come from the price but still interesting they can do it.

Something worth noting is most cars of a particular age had identical camera, infotainment and usability issues
    The 1st and 2nd Gen cellular infotainment setups with Bluetooth were abysmal across the industry

So bad that many modern cars just go Apple or Android and lack full featured systems, your phone is the system and the screen is just for viewing its content, which is sad, I like a real nav

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps they lost money on every sale and found reasons to keep the car from selling too well.

I feel like virtually every car on the market gets complaints like that for their intro, and then they get better for the second model year or in some cases it takes until a bigger refresh. But I don't think Nissan had much motivation to fix the little things on that car, since fixing things wasn't going to improve the bottom line.

In the 1960s, VW proved that automotive product quality can be completely divorced from cost. It's still true today, though it is still a difficult goal left unmet by many. We just have more and more interesting reasons now.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL... So do you think Prius infotainment is any better? The infotainment system is on the bottom of my checklist for the selection of a car. I can live without any touch screen infotainment system. I don' know if the ~6inch screen on the Sentra SV is a touch panel or not, but I did not have to touch it to change the radio station or turn on/off HVAC. At least all the essential operations were done by physical knobs.

I have had Nissan in the past. Pathfinder twice including current PathHy, Quest minivan twice... all of them were fine for their built quality and usability. When compared to Toyota for the same class vehicle, Nissan always had a better price. Personally, I am careless about the brand of cars. Toyota or Nissan, I will buy a car with more value. Usually, that means a cheaper one, but can sometimes be a more expensive one with a rebate, better residual value, or more reliable components, etc...

4. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't care about brand other than what it signifies in terms of quality. Some manufacturers are less concerned about quality than others. When VWs were made in Germany they were excellent cars. I had an '86 Jetta that lasted over 200,000 miles without an issue - like my Toyotas today. When VW started manufacturing for the US in Mexico their cars become so bad as to be almost undriveable. I had a 2000 Jetta that had the entire instrument cluster fail at 400 miles. The heater core failed at 5,000 miles. It drank oil like a dehydrated marathon runner. The manual crank windows stopped working at around 10,000 miles. And as a bonus, the HVAC controls melted (as in the plastic melted and ran down the dash) at around 20,000 miles. I'll just chalk up the time the engine shut down on the freeway at 70 mph to a fluke. That car was what drove me to try Toyota.

Once I land on a brand that produces reliable products I'm not inclined to switch until betrayed or the price becomes wildly out of sync with the market in general. It's not out of any sense of loyalty, it's just that it's less of a gamble.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My take is that any car purchase is a gamble. In my lifetime, I have owned maybe no more than a few dozens of cars. And they are different classes of cars and used/driven differently at different time periods. Since I am not a professional car reviewer, there is no way I can make a generalized statement that one brand is better than another from such a small number of desperately different cars I have owned. While there are definitely some cars that performed better or worse, I never compared any car subjected for the same use case. Statistically, there was no one brand or make of car that performed better for me.

That being said, in general, if the car is new, the chance of having a problem with a car is much less in the first few years. When it comes to used cars, the uncertainty becomes much bigger. It is really a crapshoot which used car to buy. If the length of the car driven is the sole matrix for the reliability and durability, then in my own case, the 1998 Honda Civic (non-hybrid) was the longest-lasting car I have ever owned for 13 years (purchased 4 years old, so the car was actually 17 years old when I sold it). The close second would be 2005 Sienna purchased new and driven for 12 years and sold to the auction. I think the third and fourth places would be Ford Taurus and Dodge GrandCarvan both driven close to 10 years but I don't remember for sure. Nissan on the other hand, I was leasing the first three, so they only lasted 3 years problem-free. The current Nissan PathHy has been driven for 3 years now but it was purchased used 5 years old. Again there is no recurring trend for any one particular brand being better than others.

6. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    For me it's a function of the length of time and the repairs. In my driving experience (including immediate family) I have:
    • 1977 Dodge Aspen
    • 1975 VW Beetle
    • 1985 Ford Mustang
    • 1986 VW Jetta
    • 1989 VW Fox
    • 1993 VW Jetta
    • 1995 VW Jetta
    • 2000 VW Jetta
    • 2004 Toyota Corolla
    • 2007 Toyota Camry SE
    • 2010 Honda Accord
    • 2010 Honda Civic
    • 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in
    • 2012 Toyota Prius c
    • 2018 Prius Prime
    • 2020 Nissan Leaf
    • 2021 Prius Prime
    There is only one make of car in that list that NEVER needed a repair as long as I owned them: Toyota. Every single one of them. All other makes required untimely repairs at some point. The 1986 VW Jetta didn't, but the other VWs more than made up for that anomaly.

7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Nope...haven't forgotten. I can get 36 MPG on the highway in my humongous 2012 Hyundai Sonata. (y) The engine on the Sonata is paired nicely with the vehicle...it just purrs along on the highway without upshifting....even up moderate hills.

Wife's car is a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT ( the hatchback version )...and only gets about 33 MPG on the highway...but is a smaller car. However, the engine on the GT seems underpowered...it always upshifts up the same hills.

Point is that a nicely paired engine in an ICE vehicle can result in some pretty great MPG..all things considered. The Hyundai's have been great as far as repairs as well...NO repairs needed on then so far other than scheduled maintenance items.

Disclaimer : These vehicles were purchased just before we 'discovered' hybrids. We purchased our first Prius ( a 2010 liftback ) as a car for the high school aged kids to drive. (y) I now three hybrids later, I drive my Prius V wagon more than my Sonata. Daughter currently has a Prius C.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then stick with Toyota. Most consumer behavior is usually dictated by those small samples of persona experiences anyway. In my case, if I listed the most repair-prone cars I have ever owned, then the top on the list has to be the Toyota Sienna. I did not start taking a detailed record of the cost of owning a car until 2012. But according to my record, I spent $4943.28 on 2005 Sienna from 2012 to 2018. I am sure I had a few other repair costs before 2012, so the total cost for the life of the car had to be larger. This does not include the final blow of +$4,000 or more to repair the corroded differential at the end of my ownership. On the contrary, four other Toyotas (Gen3 and PPs) were mostly repair-free except for minor issues covered under warranty, but they were all newer than 3 years old. Again, I don't expect huge repairs in new cars. I have no idea what the repair cost would be if I kept those Toyota longer than 7 years.

Edit: I did own one more Toyota when I was young. Toyota Celica coupe GT (circa 1976 model purchased used and driven ~3 years). I don't remember spending much for repair on that car, so it had to be quite reliable. Although I had an accident requiring me to spend quite a bit of money on bodywork... didn't have collision coverage then. Overall a great car with great memories, but I can't remember why I ended up getting rid of the car at the end?

#28 Salamander_King, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  9. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I think because it's more complicated than just cost. Two people could own the same year, make, and model and have totally different experiences. One guy might never do the scheduled maintenance or take any pains to treat the car well. He might drive it 50,000 miles a year doing pizza deliveries. The other guy might religiously keep the car maintained and keep it clean and drive it 5,000 miles a year. If the first guy reported that his car was terrible because of all the repair bills after 2 years it would have almost no relevance to me. Since I don't know all that information I have to generally discard other people's experiences unless I know them personally and how they treat their vehicles, as do most people I expect.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly! Hence stick with your own gut feeling. That's what most people do anyway.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm with you there. I'd be happy with:

1. am/fm radio
    2. hand-crank windows
    3. manual hvac controls that are intuitive and easily adjustable without taking your eyes off the road
    4. conventional ignition key, no security chip
    5. spare tire

Rmay635703 and Salamander_King like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mostly agree... but I have to have a power window. It's too hard to hand-crank the passenger side window while driving alone. LOL

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    11th Gen Corolla - once in 2014 and another in 2018 (2017 MY). Both achieved fantastic mpg numbers. 38-42mpg on the highway. 23 mpg in heavy city traffic and 60mpg at 60km/h (42mph).

14. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping the ford Maverick would come trimmed this way long box bench seat standard cab

Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It’s funny you mention this, as we have experienced most of these with our 2016. Here is my list:
    • Misaligned body panels, minor seat upholstery issues, window trim alignment (all on delivery)
    • Intermittent HVAC heating doesn’t work (even when brand new, but not easy to replicate). It happened to me again just on Friday, 25 mins of driving and never got heat… worked fine on Saturday.
    • Agreed that backup camera quality is poor, even with the 360 camera (which makes the backup cam very small)
    • Can’t adjust/turn down the radio when the backup cam is on… lol. So dumb.
    • I never experienced the not muting on call or the radio coming on at start… will keep an eye out for this.
    • I did notice the Bluetooth connectivity for audio streaming was very poor - had to turn the radio on and off a few time to get it to connect to my iPhone; we finally reported it to Nissan a few months ago when in for a recall and they updated the system software and it has been much better. So that is a bit on us for not asking earlier (we were 2 versions behind…)
    • Re: battery capacity, we have lost 2 of 12 capacity bars with the 30Kw pack (which is ‘normal’ for the age) with 2 years and 90k KM remaining on our battery warranty. Decent chance we will lose 2 more bars and get a free battery by then, IMO.
    The car has been mostly maintenance-free as advertised, however we have had a couple non-standard repairs done:

• When the car was about a year old, the heated seats stopped working - it kept blowing the fuse. After burning 3 or 4 fuses, took it in and there was some kind of short between the weight sensor and seat heater, so they replaced the seat heater and problem was solved.
    • Also had frequent issues with the (one and only?) 12v outlet when the car was new. It was replaced. (Kinda ironic with an EV…)
    • Had issues with the brakes earlier this year, had rear right brake seizing and heating up to the point we could smell it. Reported this and had a full brake job done, despite the car only having 70k KM in 5 years, which is very early compare to Prius. After brake job, still had issues with rear heating up. I’m talking a casual 5-min residential drive with light braking and the RR disc would get up ~90C while the RL disc would remain about 25C using a laser heat gun. Took Nissan 2 more visits to realize there was a problem… turned out the “emergency brake cable” was seized and causing this issue (!). They tried to charge us another $500 (on top of the full brake we just had, for this reason), and I told them where to go. They called Nissan and to their credit actually did it at NO CHARGE (!) even though we were well out of warranty, since this is something which is “not supposed to fail” - and sounds like they had never replace one. Lucky us. Anyway, had to wait almost 3 weeks for the part and scheduling, but it got done for free and has been fine since. Thanks Nissan!
    Oh, and we have had marketing mailers offering free oil changes… and it was addressed to us by name and included our model in the letter.:cautious: We have also had the service department (!) ask if we are due for an oil change. Lol. Nothing says confidence like…. :LOL: We haven’t been so impressed with the service dept.

Anyway, bottom line is the there has been a clear “quality” difference between the Leaf and Prius, but all things said it is still a nice car and my wife still loves her car (and hates when I compare them).;)

Sorry for the long post and going a bit OT, but the comment on Leaf quality sort of piqued my interest so I thought I would share our similar experience.:cool:

16. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been buying and driving cars since the 1950's and the worst ones have been German and English. Had a 1991 MB 300CE and a Jaguar XJ12L both of which were unreliable. Bought my first new Toyota, a Celica GT in 1979; then a cressida and a supra new in 1983, followed by a new cressida in 1989 and a Tacoma in 1999 and a Lexus ES300 in 2000. The Tacoma was trouble free when I sold it two years ago and replaced it with a 2002 4Runner as I thought I needed 4WD and an automatic transmission. We still have the Lexus which was also trouble free. So we became a Toyota family. The PP got me hooked on driving an EV and the 4Runner on a 4WD SUV, so when the RAV4Prime came out I tried to buy one. No luck in this part of the country. Toyota is kind of ambiguous as to when their EV will be available for sale. So our next car will probably not be a Toyota. I am seriously considering either a Hyundai or Kia as our next EV and possibly the new Ford Maverick hybrid to replace the 4Runner. Might have to wait a year or so until it becomes more of a buyer's market for vehicles, though.

farmecologist likes this.
  17. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Isn't that the truth. I'm trying to hold on with our current vehicles until the market turns. (y) I hate getting ripped off by the stealerships. I've seen dealerships even hiking up the prices on the Maverick....which is supposed to be an affordable vehicle. Pretty disgusting.

18. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    You could always report them to Ford if you want. I’ve read multiple stories that say Ford plans to punish dealers for this behaviour. Might be Canada only, though.

19. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just read on my newsfeed that Ford has taken orders for all the Mavericks they can produce for 2022. They are suggesting you wait 'til later in the year and order the 2023 model.

20. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This may be so, but the two Prius cars I've had, including my current plug-in, are usually off by 2 to 5 mpg in their readings. I suspect all cars that give out an mpg reading stretch it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.