1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switching from dealership service, need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by losthighway, Jul 16, 2016.

1. losthighway

losthighway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

I had a very bad experience with my local Toyota dealership service center (talked my mom into a $1200 service she didn't need) and as a result I'm going to have to take my car elsewhere for basic maintenance service. I will probably end up taking it to the next nearest dealership for major things.

I have been relying on my local dealer's service center to keep computerized records of service... Does anyone know if this information is accessible by all Toyota dealerships or do I need to go and get a copy of my service history? Also, any other advice for someone in my situation?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All dealers will do this upsell, arm yourself with the owner's manual and it'll list all the services you need. Just follow that and ignore the upsell

All records are accessible from any dealer

3. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most, but not all dealers will do the upsell. Hope you're lucky enough to find one of the very few who won't. They are out there, but hard to find.

4. losthighway

losthighway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand that most dealers do the upsell. I guard myself about that and warned my mother about it, but they got her anyway. I don't trust them to work on my car anymore after they refused to make it right.

bisco likes this.
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If all you are paying the dealer for are oil & filter changes then just DIY, go to any indy shop, or even a Vo-Tech school.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you don't mind, what was the $1200 service? One item? Or a "suite" of services?

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Her blinker fluid was dangerously worn. Not safe to let it be driven like that.

Raytheeagle and booke02 like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It could have been the "fuel economy maximizer" service that we all need

iPhone ?

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the San Francisco area, Luscious Garage is beyond compare and they easily beat the dealers in quality.

As for unneeded maintenance, that has me perplexed, because there are a lot of very good maintenance procedures not listed in the manual, but these aren't the ones dealers come up with. They're all in the NutzAboutBolts videos in this thread -- lubricating the brake pins (mine were all totally dry), cleaning the EGR pipe, throttle body, the MAF sensor (all easy stuff), transaxle (transmission) fluid change, cleaning the battery fan (especially if you have pets), cleaning the AC condenser, the PCV valve.... none of that is in the manual.

Instead, dealers come up with nonsense like adding fuel system cleaner.

#9 Rebound, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Owner's Manual? Repair Manual (aka Shop Manual)?

Lubricating brake caliper pins at least is part of "Brake Inspection", indicated in the Maintenance Schedule. Well, it should be. It's explained in the Repair Manual. But the book is a poorly written tome: there's no section titled "Brake Inspection", and itemized "do this, this and this". Depending on the education and diligence level of dealership, this may or may not get done.

11. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To be honest I had a really horrible experience with Toyota dealers.
    Toyota Germany in Trier, after changing a cover of my front axle gave me an engine oil leak. What the hell were they doing I have no idea?
    Toyota Luxembourg in Luxembourg city tolled me I need a timing belt and accessory belt changed. I don't have any of them. I have a chain and no accessory belt cause everything is electric powered. I checked that and was confirmed by different dealer.
    Toyota Belgique in Arlon, they were complaining that I brought my own oil (Liqui Moli 0W20, which I like) and my own filter (K&N oil filter). They were complaining cause they wouldn't make money on me but after I said, ok then my bumper is falling a bit (was badly fixed by Toyota Luxembourg after I got hit on a parking lot) and I want a fluid change in my transmission, they tolled me that the bumper is just bent plastic and can't do anything about it and they don't do fluid change in Prius cause it doesn't need one!
    FFS ...
    The only servers that actually did good, not being the experts in hybrids was A.T.U in Germany.
    I'm so disappointed in Toyota services!

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here in California, both One Toyota of Oakland and Fremont Toyota quoted me over $300 for a transmission oil change because they had to flush the fluid out of the torque converter.
    I told them that a Prius doesn't have a torque converter and no flush was necessary. They told me I was wrong. Wow.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If humanly possible, just DIY it. About $40 and a couple of hours.

14. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah ... bring the repair manual printout with you I did that once :) I think Mendel (maybe someone else) uploaded here a few times.

And yet I was told they have to hook some computer up in addition... then I said NO thanks, since you do not knwo what YOU are talking about.

The best offer was $149 at another dealership but I declined since I thought it was too high shouldn't be any more work than an oilchange, especially if it is done at the same time (lift the car take the undercover off etc)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Unfortunately, authorized dealers have to kill the end customer with outrageous services and prices.
    I do not go until a warranty issue arises.