1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switching in and out of EV mode while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by what_the__shell, May 5, 2013.

1. what_the__shell

what_the__shell New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my brand new plug in prius for 6 whole days before my house was hit by lightening, while the car was charging. The car has been in the shop for 3 weeks since that has happened and they eventually replaced the "electric vehicle recharge unit". But it still doesn't seem right to me. one of the things that is happening is that the EV switch is not operating while I'm driving. For instance: i'm driving locally on EV and then get on the highway and when I get to the point that the engine kicks on, I hit the EV switch to turn it off and move to hybrid mode. However, even though the EV light is off, the battery continues to discharge and will eventually completely discharge. To prevent this I do a number of maneuvers like hit the brakes repeatedly or hit every button the dash (EV, ECO) until it stops! This cannot be normal but then again I only drove the car for 6 days before lightening struck. It also happens the other way. If I'm driving on the highway and get off and then hit the EV switch to turn the electric back on, the electric motor doesn't kick in. HELP! Am I imagining this? Is there some fancy way to switch EV and back on the fly?

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even in HV Ev will still be used. that is normal. And when EV is switched back if you're using A/C, DEFROST or any combination ICE will run. ICE will run to satisfy emissions requirements, once it's satisfied ICE will turn off and run in EV

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but i don't think it will completely deplete the battery unless you're almost empty anyway? how many miles of ev left when you hit the hv button?

4. what_the__shell

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    today it said 10.1 when i was driving on the highway and switched EV off. it went all the way down to .1 and went automatically to hybrid mode. I can get it to stop though by braking while hitting the switch on and off a few times but I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't do this. I searched the manual to see if you have to be stopped to switch but I couldn't find anything.

5. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Shell -- I'm also confused by your statement. Try starting up the car and driving in HV mode. Does the battery still deplete from a full charge with the engine running? If it does, then there is definitely something wrong with the vehicle.

Side note .. the battery should be actually receiving a charge when you press the HV button if you are not moving because as the engine warms up, it uses the fuel to add charge to the battery. The only way to see what's going on is to possibly get a scan gauge 2 to see how much energy the vehicle is pulling. Hard to tell without the SG.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm pretty sure you can switch back and forth at any time.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I do it all the time and never had anything unusual surface.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since pushing the HV/EV buttons switches the system to hybrid mode, that comment is a contradiction. My guess is you are actually still in EV mode. Are you aware that the engine will run then? When it does, you get a major boost of electricity from the battery rather than the modest amount HV mode would provide. We've coined this EV-BOOST.

Look at your MPG while cruising on the highway. If it is 50'ish, you're in HV mode. If it is pegged at 100 MPG, you're still in EV mode.

Notice the symbol differences...

EV
    [​IMG]

EV-BOOST
    [​IMG]

HV
    [​IMG]

F8L likes this.
  9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you are in EV mode but exceed 62 mph then you will be using both the engine and battery/motor.
    Have you tried EV mode on slower roads?
    Have you tried switching to HV right after starting with a full charge...your EV miles should stay close to full.

Mike

10. what_the__shell

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This only happens when I switch WHILE driving. If I start out in EV everything is fine. My mpg is at the top and the motor doesn't kick on. It's when I get on the highway and feel the engine kick in (which is the EV boost mode I think) that I turn the EV off so I can save the electric battery for local driving. Like I said, I only had the car for 6 days before the lightening but I can swear I was able to do this. I will pay attention to the dash today and report back. Should I be able to completely switch off the electric battery and save it for local driving?

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, that would defeat the point of being a hybrid. Even in HV mode, the battery-pack will still be taken advantage of. The difference is the draw is less.

12. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe you have a problem that needs to be repaired.

When I go on a longer (30 mi +) trip I always save my EV miles for where they are most efficient, on the flat for mileage and downhill for mileage and regeneration. I do this by switching the to HV for hills small and large. The car always goes into HV when requested and the battery SOC stays reasonably close to where it was when the EV to HV switch was made. There are exceptions, if the battery is fully charged the SOC will go down to around 70% and stay in that region. Since I use HV to go up hills some, but not all, of the battery may be used depending on what the computer thinks is appropriate. This generally amounts to 5% of SOC. There is never any problem switching back to full EV if the usual conditions are met.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p, it sounds like a chip may have been fried, or logic scrambled. i think you have to go back to the dealer and show them. all the best!(y)

14. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What John says is true. But to clarify... When you switch off EV mode, wanting to "save" the battery for later you aren't guaranteed to maintain your EV miles being displayed...but you do generally get to save most of it. It should not go from, for example, 10 miles remaining down to zero while driving 20 or 30 miles. I can usually switch to HV with 10 miles remaining, go 10 or 20 miles and still have 9 miles remaining. This is with no unusual terrain, etc.

While in HV mode the car will operate (more or less) like a regular Prius using the battery a bit when it needs to then recharging it a bit...you will see the EV miles remaining for the battery go up and down a few tenths as it does this. If you accelerate hard up a hill, for example, you will see it drop even more.

Mike

15. what_the__shell

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I think so too. But the technicians say the computer says nothing's wrong. I've been taking video of the dash for them.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a good next step.

I'd also suggest reviewing my collection, search for "priusguru". There's a variety of driving capatured with scenery & dash info, some with an aftermarket gauge too.

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bolded part just caught my attention.

If you are driving in EV Mode from the time of start up until you get on the freeway then engage HV mode then the engine will be cold. The car will continue to draw EV power despite being in HV Mode until the engine has warmed up a bit. Now, in my experience, this EV power will come back up as long as you were under 72% SOC or approx. 8.9miles of range. If you switch to HV Mode with a higher SOC then the car will not charge any higher. I.e. if I switch to HV Mode with 10.6 miles of range (SOC at 80%) then the EV power will continue to draw down until it hits around 72% SOC (8.6 miles EV range).

18. what_the__shell

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious about your opinion on this... several people said that the fact that my car was charging during the storm attracted the lightening. Do you charge during storms (rain or otherwise)?

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I charge during rain and thunder storms. No problems at all.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the car is outside, and you have a local lightning strike, then it's possible that the charge will follow the ground to a cord lying on the ground or underground power line. those can be susceptible to damage.

what_the__shell likes this.