1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switching useless "boost" with "drive"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, Sep 18, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Its not that hard. A lot of things in life are not that hard. But a lot of things in life irritate us. This is one of them for me. Why cant I just push down? Why do I have to push info/calendar/info/calendar twice to get my calendar?

So many thing on the prius are just plain ----->STUPID!!!!!!!!!!

Im just trying to fix them one thing at a time. And yes I hit drive 40x per day. I have many calls to make during the day. Add those calls to my personal errands and its probably more then 40. The shifter over and down gets irritating. I slap the shifter and sometimes it goes in drive and sometimes it doesnt. Maybe you guys like having to do extra work for something that could have been designed simple? I prefer simple.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a developor of medical devices, I understand your effort for controls that are well thought out and simple. But for this, I just push it in an arc with one finger (and maybe a thumb), so it gets to D in one fluid motion. Much less work than buckling up, and nobody should drive without doing that.

But for somebody who doesn't understand that Obama would take monetary support away from al-Qaeda by promoting energy conservation, it might be indicative of not thinking things thru. (Sorry about the politics, but the sig is a bit much).

3. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Firstly, I think the fact that you have to shift down and across is there to protect the car and you from accidentally engaging drive by hitting the lever (or for that matter, for someone else hitting the lever when getting something in/out of the car when the ignition is on)

Think about most auto boxes. They require you to push that little button in on the shifter to move out of park. Okay, so in the Prius you need your foot on the brake, but with most people I find that the foot goes on the brake when you get in.

For what it's worth the shifter isn't just basic wires. There's a little microcontroller in there which senses where the lever is and produces a digital signal telling the car ECU what's going on. Faking it out (moving the engine braking poistion and drive poistion) seems like an awful lot of work for very little outcome, personally speaking.

I drive my Prius daily not only to and from work, but during the work day. On a bad day I stop/start the car no more than ten times. I maybe shift into drive fifteen times. I personally don't find it too irritating. More irritating to me would be the fact I can't turn off the beeping on the MFD on my model.

Finally, I know I'm an outsider, but I do have a vested interest in the 2008 American Presidential election as my Partner is American. We're living in the UK because we can't live in America right now thanks to the current administration.

While I welcome free speech I do find that your signature is a tad offensive, ProblemChild. I can only assume that a) you are a really insensitive person or b) you're actually trying to wind people up, both with this thread and your signatures.

I don't care what political party you support, but I feel that perhaps this place isn't the place to ram your beliefs down other people's throats. I'm sure there are people on this list who would agree..

Respectfully,

Nikki.

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why do people not complain about gated shifters?

the Drive is where it is so you dont kill yourself backing out of a parking space.

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :pop2: Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine tells Jerry she is tired of having to shake everything. I don't know I have 93K on my '05 and I really do not feel it is a problem to put the car into Drive. But good luck with that one.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I showed this issue to my 15 year old son and he can see your pain, not!! He laughed and laughed.
    I laughed at the red neck logic in problemchild's signature. I thought he was a prety smart guy until that crap appeared on his posts. By the way this isn't a political statement, I couldn't care less who becomes the next president of USA.

7. isibrigade

isibrigade Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I don't see how his political convictions determines his IQ. In fact, it only proves he is a free thinker, not a red-neck couch potato. His signature is actually simply pointing out the backwards logic of the Obama administration.

Not caring who becomes the next president of the most powerful country in the world, however, is not so smart.:der: