1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Syifting to B at 60 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Robert McDonald, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If I shift from D to B at 60 mph, what effect does this have on mpg and rpm?

Thanks.

Bob

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It'll back drive the engine when you lift off of the gas, spinning it faster to dissipate energy. You'll get some regen but less than if you apply the brakes to get the same deceleration.

In the long run this will reduce your mpg.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Firstly, unless you are descending a mountain pass, you should never be in B.

Now, if you are not decelerating, none.

If you lift off the throttle, the computers will simulate more 'engine braking' and may in fact, use the engine as an air pump. (You may be a hazard to other drivers as you slow rapidly with no brake lights. Don't be that guy)

If you press the brakes above 24 MPH, you are using the engine as an air pump, no gasoline is added, but engine friction is helping slow the car. the harder you hit the brakes, the faster the engine will go.

Since you are dissipating energy with the engine, instead of regenerating electricity via the motors, you are losing battery charge you could have saved, so MPG will go down.

B under the D in the Drive gears? | PriusChat

4. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any time you brake even with just regen, you will lose mpg. "B" will brake using engine and regen. This would make the mpg go down even more. I would use "B" for emergency braking or going down a long hill and my HV battery is full (no additional regen could be done). Depending on your speed, putting your car in "B" would kick off the ICE if the ICE wasn't already running. That would hurt your mpg as well.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For PiP in EV mode, the engine will not come on. It will just regen charge the bigger PHV battery.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Also with a PiP, it takes a MUCH larger mountain to fill the battery 2 to 3 thousand foot drop.

7. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Robert...I know you posted your message in the Prius forum, not Plug in. But it's normal around here that PiP owners would come here and tell you how great PiP is.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The other benefit is it reduces the heat generated during charging of the traction battery. If driving through a mountainous area, "B" can reduce how much the traction battery heats on descents. But it works best if on the climb you avoid drawing on traction battery power by backing off the speed enough that the engine handles the climbing load. This is not always possible but 'heat is the enemy' of our NiMH traction batteries.

FYI, just be happy that this time it is only the PiP owners coming here to tell you how great their cars are . . . there are others who really don't understand this is "PriusChat" and we're not going to run out and copy their mistakes.

Bob Wilson

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a flat or climbing road with steady speed and steady throttle position: absolutely nothing. No rpm increase or mpg loss.

The effects happen when changing speeds, or on downhills, or when stopped.