1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Symmetrical" AWD -- Any opinions

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was in Oregon yesterday and somehow started a conversation with a "gas pump jockey-ette." As some of you may know, Oregon does not allow self-serve gasoline.

She asked what the symmetrical AWD meant and told her "I forgot," but felt pretty stupid. I know I looked it up before buying a Subaru last year, but....

The video below is put out by Subaru and features comparisons with Ford, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, and of course touts symmetrical AWD as being very superior. And, indeed, it does seem to be on the test track, but in the real world?

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a good nuts and bolts comparison in a test environment that really shows the difference between different auto manufacturers AWD

Mark57 likes this.
  3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an excellent video. I've been a serious off roader for decades and I can tell you this is a subject that is difficult to get a good understanding of just because of differing auto marketing terms. They don't make it easy to know what capabilities a vehicle has because they use ambiguous terms to describe the 4x4 features or lack there of.

Many vehicles marketed as real dedicated off road machines fail badly off the road or in low traction conditions because of the same lack of capabilities the video above highlights.

Watch the video, if you ever expect to own any type of vehicle that has more than two drive wheels or so called AWD.

John321 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I watched a pretty thorough test video of the Prius AWD. Got me wondering why the heck they nixed the spare, lol.