1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Syncing phone(s) with the 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nursefeb, Jul 20, 2015.

1. nursefeb

nursefeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius which I love - never gives us any trouble. However, I have a question regarding whether or ot I can sync more than one phone in my Prius. I am the primary driver, and my phone is synced with the Bluetooth. But sometimes my husband drives, or we are both in the car together, and in would be be nice to be able to sync his phone also, so that we are both hands-free always in the car.

On a related question, is there any way to change the disk in the guidance system without paying over $400, which was the price I was quoted? That seems outrageous - I could buy another guidance device for a fraction of that, but since we already have GPS installed, it seems a shame not to use it. I only have the use of one hand due to a stroke (ruptured aneurysm) 20 years ago, so I would never answer a hand-held phone in the car.

I find the instructions in the 2005 Navigation System Owner's Manual difficult to follow. I appreciate any advice.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can "sync" (actually "pair") two bluetooth phones with your Prius. However whenever a different driver wanted their phone to work they have to pick it from the menu. As far as the map goes, I would consider an ebay option, but I have not ever done it myself. I would certainly contact the seller and ensure instructions were sent. Apparently the newest disk on ebay for a 2005 Prius is version 14.1 with a U29 code on the disk like the following:

14 1 Update 2004 2005 Toyota Prius Hybrid GEN4 Navigation DVD Map U s Canada | eBay

There are several older versions that are cheaper but I would not consider those.

Add a bluetooth phone:
    On the Prius Multi-Display, push the "Info" button, select "Telephone", "Settings", "Bluetooth", "Register Phone". The system will give you a passcode to enter in the phone, probably 0000

Then get into the bluetooth pairing mode of your phone.

#2 rjparker, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. nursefeb

nursefeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much - that is very helpful. However, is there an onsite place that you know of to get easy instructions for pairing *2* phones? We have not been able to figure out how to do that. Going to the menu when one of us is in the car and needs our phone to work does not seem like a big problem, but over the years we haven't been able to figure out how to do two phones. This issue has come up now because we both have new iPhones, and we had to reinstall my phone to the BlueTooth.
    I greatly appreciate tat you took the time to respond with good information.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    See the first two pages of the attached pdf is an excerpt from an owner's manual. It says 6 phones can be paired on the system. You just go through the process twice, realizing you have to make each IPhone discoverable (one at a time) by ensuring Bluetooth is on under it's Bluetooth settings. Be aware that if both phones have the same name, you will end up with two phones to select in your Prius that have the same name. Hopefully the IPhones have been uniquely identified in the IPhone Settings, General, About, Name.

Attached Files:

#4 rjparker, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Installing phones is shown in the manual.

6. nursefeb

nursefeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All of your information was very helpful - thanks so much. We are now ready to go. Our old 2005 Navigation System Owner's manual was very confusing and not much help. What you sent is just what we needed!
    FB