1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Synthetic Engine Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mig1980, Oct 13, 2021.

1. mig1980

mig1980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day everyone. I would like to use mobil 1 full synthetic engine oil and my 2014 Prius and am curious if there are filter elements I could use that would last the 10k to 15k miles that are recommended for full synthetic?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes Mobil makes a 20k mi filter, the Mobil 1 filter part # ends in "A". Their older 15K mi filter does not have A.

Fram makes a 20k mi filter as well, Ultra and Titanium (Advance Auto only).

I personally use the Fram Ultra because filtration spec is based on >20 microns vs >30 microns for the Mobil 1.

I do believe STP makes a 15k mi filter as well as Amsoil Ea line.

BTW-. Unless the oil specifies the extended drain interval don't assume all synthetics have a longer mi interval. If not specified follow Toyota's oil change interval.

REVVL V+ 5G ?

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The intervals that you quoted are nor really "recommended" by anybody for any specific vehicle.
    They are the extreme limits that the maker of the oil says that the oil will hold up.

You should be following the recommended intervals from Toyota......and not worrying about an "extended life" filter.

Many/most car makers still actually recommend changing the oil filter only every SECOND oil change.........so that puts it in the range of most "extended" change intervals.
    It really is NOT something that you need to worry about.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm looking at a partially used 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance that I bought at Walmart. They discontinued the Annual Protection that I used prior, (and looked a beautiful translucent amber, but I digress). The label says "PROTECTS FOR 20,000 MILES- GUARANTEED*".

* Denoted as 20,000 mi or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Now I'm nowhere close to being an English professor but that's pretty darn close to a recommended mileage interval to me.

REVVL V+ 5G ?

5. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You don't have to be an English professor to know what a "marketing claim" is.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Roll the dice over $20? I would stick to the timing that Toyota specifies.

8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    On account that the Prius and modern cars have low expansion pressure rings that gum up from unburned gasoline blowby and abrasive residue in suspension that wear on the cylinder walls. regular oil filters and frequent oil changes are a much better option than keeping oils in the ICE for more than 10k to 20k miles or more.

Nothing beats clean oil.

9. mig1980

mig1980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the reply. I am not looking at going past the 10k mile mark per oil and filter change. I just wasn't aware that the OEM oil filter would be a good option to use that long with full synthetic oil. Are you all saying it would be ok and no need to buy a different filter?

10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    YES.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota says 10k mi oil change interval. I would hope they engineered their filter to match that.

Anything further, and you've got to look at filters that say so, IMHO....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't see any reason why you'd need a different filter for synth oil, vs conventional oil.

All our car has seen since day one is Toyota OW20 (synth) and Toyota oil filter. I dealt with the stock filter (in permanent housing) for about 9 years, then did the conversion to spin-on*, a couple of years back.

* More info in my signature

audiodave and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  13. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The synthetic oil filter is just another way of advertising to you feeling that it might be better and another way of relieving you of your hard earned money.

My dad tells me of the STP double oil filter. The first stage removed 98% of the detritus. His question was, "How does the second stage "double" the amount removed by the first stage?"

audiodave likes this.
  14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know too much about combustion products but I would venture:

Smallest particles get through to the oil first. The larger and even larger get through less and less.

I notice filtration efficiency is 99+% vs 98% you noted.

So more of the particles are smaller. Let's guesstimate 50% small and 50% large.

First layer has larger holes, takes the bigger stuff out.

2nd layer is smaller mesh and takes out the rest.

Too fine and the bypass kicks in...

Fram Ultra/Titanium noted as 2 layer semi-synthetic.

(They test them so gotta actually do it, unless you claim that they are outright lying)...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

15. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're much better off getting OEM replacement filters from the dealer and changing oil at 5k , 6 months or less.

Getting the crud off is the key. Keeping the crud and abrasive particles in suspension will wear the engine components. Abrasive suspended in liquid is often used as an industrial cutting process. No abrasives; no wear!

No filter removes dissolved hydrocarbons that form varnish in and on the internal engine components, The only way to remove then is to drain them out with the oil.

#15 Georgina Rudkus, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Ed Beaty likes this.
  16. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmmm. I must be doing it wrong. Long intervals and my analysis results show less then average wear metals in the oil compared to people on shorter runs.

Coming up on 150k and the car doesn't burn a drop. Where is this extra wear that I should be seeing?

17. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By "my analysis," do you mean that you've had the oil tested? If so, have you had the filter tested? Maybe you do have more wear, but the filter is excellent, so there's no detritus in the oil.

18. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil analysis and I've used more Toyota filters then not. I run 15k oil change intervals and was mostly replying to the statements to change every 5k to keep "abrasives" low to prevent wear.

People like to claim low intervals prevents oil burning in these cars, yet mine doesn't burn any.

douglasjre likes this.
  19. Peter123

Peter123 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exhaust gases are acidic. That is why there is usually a time limit as well as a mileage limit on oil changes. The combination of the acidity, the soot from the combustion, and the lower spring constant used in the rings (to improve gas mileage) will eventually impede the oil flow sealing the pistons to the cylinder wall. Changing the oil and filter more frequently is a cheap way to ensure long engine life.

Montgomery and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  20. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Another reason to install an oil catch can.