1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SYNTHETIC OIL : full and blends > made decision

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smokey1, Apr 5, 2007.

1. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

decided to go w/ full synthethic for the 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) . REASON : 1.) looks like many of the manufacturers are fading out blends which will become hard to find , probably due to the $ to be made on full synthetics . 2.) technician stated most syn-oil blends or conventional oils use parrafin ( wax ) , less likely to be found in synthethics 3.) better heat dispersion ( temperature gage is the proof since change to syn-oil ) 4.) cleaner : so less build of deposits in pan and upper engine , assume less acidic as well , so better for more idle engines , such as the PRIUS . 5.) little better mileage as well . Therefore am more convinced to go to a full syn-oil in the PRIUS for these properties as well as being only a 1.5 ltr engine in a 2,900 lb. car in very hilly terrain ( have noticed high engine noise on steep hills , more I.C.E.) , very hot muggy summers , brutal cold , etc.. HOPEFULLY WON'T CHANGE MY TUNE . :) To each there own . Thanks

2. u4iia

u4iia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smokey1 @ Apr 5 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]418410[/snapback]</div>
    This is a must visit site if you want the low down on just about any brand/type of oil : http://www.bobistheoilguy.com Visit the forums. I was reading a thread on one of the forums talking about how to read the date code on a bottle of Pennzoil Platinum (Date, Plant, type II, II, etc). Yes, they are very enthusiastic about lubrication as we are with the Prius.