1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

synthetic oil & nitrogen in tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by turtleboy, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To be sure, I would also like to see DA submit a UOA. However, there are a lot of VW and GM/Opel cars in the EU running 24 month/30,000 mile oil change intervals with no ill effect

The oil is obviously a synthetic. Castrol did a lot of research before releasing their special LongLife II 0W-30. Mobil also has an oil - in the EU - that meets that spec

Of course, if you run something like a giant industrial V-16 Waukesha or Wartsila motor (Co-gen, oil platform, nat gas pumping, etc), with an oil capacity of 900-1,500 litres of SAE 40, you use a centrifugal separator and only change the oil "on condition."

In 24x7 use, that works out to every 3-4 years. Impressive what modern oils, advanced filtering, and 21st century machining techniques can accomplish

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only concern I have about using a racing oil in a street vehicle is that the racing oil was specifically designed to work in a thermally stressed motor at high rpm.

Although Maxima claims to have detergents, a regular synthetic may do a better job for the short trip daily driver. Only a used oil analysis - nitration in particular - can determine this

For those who freak out at my use of Mobil 1 0W-20 in my Prius, how about the fact that most racing oils are a 0W-5 or 0W-10? In a modern tightly machined motor, a light oil provides fuel economy benefits, and usually *lower* wear. It's unheard of for modern racing teams to run something heavy like a 20W-50