1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Synthetic Oil standard?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rdkam, Oct 16, 2010.

1. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    research it here....
    Welcome

1 person likes this.
  2. schafer49

schafer49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In a suburb of Seattle, my dealer, Toyota of Puyallup, appears to be using Castrol oil. My service invoice last April states, "0W-20 Full Synthetic Oil". Stapled to my invoice was a $8 rebate card that I could send to "Premium Quality Oil Service" in nearby Kent, WA, for a discount on my next oil change at that dealership. I located http://www.premiumqualityoilchange.com/, that shows a mailing address matching that on the rebate card. That website states, "All Premium Oil Changes Include: Castrol Syntec Blend ... Manufactured with Castrol Conventional Oil AND Syntec Molecular Components" which left me wondering if I actually got a "full synthetic oil".

The "Premium Quality Oil Service" (PQOS) appears to me as a dealership marketing ploy. So long as you get oil changed at the recommended interval by that same dealer, the PQOS package offers you a roadside assistance and tire protection program, and some engine warranty. So it encourages customers to get their regular oil service at the dealership.

Moments ago I located Castrol's website. It confirms that it sells a full synthetic 0W-20 oil.
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9027819&contentId=7059886

3. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota fact oil at my dealer is price as wally world

4. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hey FJ
    ive heard this before and laughed ,,could u give the test results for this,,im sure you're
    correct but a test is worth a 1000 opinions