1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by berryman, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have used Mobil 1 for a long time in all our vehicles and I am very pleased with it. The general consensus at a popular oil forum, www.bobistheoilguy.com, is that Toyota engines love Mobil 1. This is based on a lot of used oil analysis that is posted there. I have checked out a few results from Echos (same engine as the Prius) and they seem to wear very little. There is not much there on the Prius - yet.

I do know that the Prius 1NZ-FXE engine runs pretty cool, which probably means that dino oil would hold up just fine. I am a bit concerned about oxidation because of all the start-stop cycles. Just as a precaution I put in 4 oz. of an additive called Lube Control that is well recommended in the oil forum. It is supposed to help control oxidation, sludge and other problems. My personal feeling is that the ICE will probably last longer than other mechanical components of the car if you take care of it.

2. kschmohl

kschmohl New Member

I use to own a 2002 WRX Wagon running Stage 4 (which means, larger turbo, injectors, etc.) - I put out 345 horses in this car and can pull on an STi with no issues. I ALWAYS used Mobil 1 and was very happy with the results. I had the oil tested at Foundstone labs (they will test your oil in your car to see what is in it) and they came back to me with GREAT results at with 60k on the car.

I even switched my wife's (non-turbo, sigh) PT Cruiser over to Mobil 1... she has 80k on the odometer and synthetic REALLY runs clean in that car, I mean it is amazing.. the car also runs better IMHO.

When my Prius comes in (next month) she will see Mobile 1 5w 30, already have a cae waiting for her.

Kevin