1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

T-SB-0027-16 P0401 and/or Rattle After Cold Soak

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, Mar 24, 2021.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Had a strange knocking sound when starting one relatively cold So Cal morning.

Current TIS subscription says ECU calibration has an update, and found this T-SB. Looks like our '12 is out of warranty regarding this so may do it by myself, (7 yr/70k mi).

Parts:

04004-58137 EGR
    25685-37010 Gasket
    00451-00001-LBL Authorized Mod Label

Hmm...

moto g(7) power ?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have a J2534 dongle that you would trust for reflashing an ECU?

jzchen likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Are you sure? The dealer letter for Warranty Enhancement ZF3 (PDF) says its secondary coverage runs “for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first,” if that program applies—which I assume it would, if the car was made before the production change mentioned in bulletin T-SB-0027-16 (PDF).
    I’d recommend reading T-SB-0134-16 Rev2, “Techstream ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure” (PDF), July 1, 2019, before deciding to do the update yourself. (See also my previous posting.)

jzchen likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you both for the responses!

I have a Mongoose Pro (2nd edition of the Techstream Lite cable with blue jacket). I hope this is still good enough though I must confess I'm now lost among 2.0, Lite, AVDi, etc. I am very nervous about my possible power supplies. I don't think they are anywhere near enough to give a steady voltage. I have been contemplating a Schumacher DSR INC100 but it's a lot of $$$ and I don't think it will arrive in time before my subscription expires.

I did not connect that warranty enhancement with this T-SB. Good catch, ours will be 10 years towards the end of May. I've cleared any DTCs in my frustrations in trying to program the TPMS sensors with my Foxwell tool so I can't remember nor have evidence for the dealer. Should have tried to record the knocking sound it was quite obvious.

moto g(7) power ?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Any genuine MongoosePro cable for Toyota vehicles should work, as would other J2534 devices on Toyota’s list. The other designations you mentioned mainly identify the notebook PCs included (or for Techstream Lite, not included) with the kits; the Techstream and Calibration Update Wizard software is the same.

jzchen likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Being Mr. Curiosity, (hopefully doesn't kill the cat), I tried to flash it this morning.

I charged up my NOCO GB150 and connected it to the jump points as in the manual. I then attached my NOCO Genius G7200 + to the GB150 clamp and - to the top strut tower nut. Turned on the G7200 to Supply mode and turned on the GB150. (GB150 makes an audible clicking while it was working).

I dug through the maze of where the update file was. It is a hyperlink in the T-SB.

Clicking through the steps I twice accidentally tap the mouse pad on top of "NEXT" and did so the 2nd time at the last step just before it started flashing. (No turning back it took a little under 4 minutes I would say there are two timers one counting up duration and one counting down to 0. Afterwards it asks you to turn off the Ig, click NEXT, then Ig-ON READY-OFF and again NEXT. At such time it verifies the flashing is complete.

So now I have an original EGR with new programming, (always running 91 AKI). Wonder if the smog guy will notice...

Shrugs...

moto g(7) power ?

wheezyglider likes this.
  7. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for that report - I had wondered if the ECU flash was really DIY-able. I wonder if the update will make a difference with the old valve. Post if you notice anything!

Smog guy will never notice, but there is an empty one of those stickers already on the hood (at least on mine). You could fill it out for grins, not sure what to put for the dealer code though...

jzchen likes this.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, will definitely report. There are the part numbers for a new valve, gasket, and label, which I do not have. (I wonder if the dealer would sell me the label). The instructions also note to unwrap a portion of the wire harness to the EGR and rewrap the base of the "T" with high temp vinyl tape. I think the reason is the EGR is of a different design and requires extra length to plug it in. I was thinking of buying one from AutoZone but they're like freaking $300 + dollars. (Waiting for RockAuto to notify my when the Dorman unit comes back in stock- lifetime warrantied EGR valves)....

moto g(7) power ?

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Very good question. In Techstream initial setup you have to select User type. One of them I remember is Dealer-1. If you scroll down which I didn't initially realize was there there is an option more appropriate for the DIYer. I originally chose Dealer-1 and could not register Techstream nor get the key to activate the software. It took me a while to figure out my mistake and set it right. After which I connect to vehicle and it has option to run health check. What do you know at around 90 - 95 % health report crashes and fails.

This part is a little blurry:

Flashing instructions say Dealer-1 must be selected as user type, but currently set to DIY (I forget the exact name).

I sign in on techinfo.toyota.com. (Definitely did this first).

I open Techstream, switch to Dealer-1. I run health check (start the programming steps). Either it crashes or completes. I switch back to DIY. For sure health check completes. Find the ECU updatable. Click to open the T-SB. Find the link to the file, click it, low and behold it asks me if I want to download and I do.

I'm not sure if switching to Dealer-1 allowed the health check to complete when it didn't the night prior, or logging into techinfo.toyota.com and then immediately starting Techstream, helped it complete. First step is health check for sure...

moto g(7) power ?

wheezyglider likes this.