1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which OBDII cable/plug/programmer do you recommend

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bbald123, Dec 6, 2016.

1. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm interested in changing the various options described in Section 9-2 of the Owners' Manual as "Settings that can be changed by your Toyota dealer".

I don't want to try guessing which OBDII plug/cable will work with which programmer.

Do any of you have experience changing the options described above? If so, what did you use to effect the changes.

TIA and I'll take my answer off the air.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Carista adapter. Works great. I just posted in another forum on PC. I can also lower all the windows by holding the lock button on the key fob.

JayNWArk1977 and krmcg like this.
  3. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is that a single buy of cable/adapter and app?

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    nope, that device plugs into the OBDII then using a Smart Phone App (extra $$ to make changes) talks to the device by wireless ....

bbald123 likes this.
  5. JayNWArk1977

JayNWArk1977 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    that's the feature I want to do my. I was asking a few friends in the NW Arkansas area if they have the Carista or TechSteam, none have it.
    I am leery of things like that being a Hoax or voiding my warranty.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s expensive, but the official answer from Toyota is their Techstream Lite kit, which includes a Drew Technologies MongoosePro MFC2 vehicle interface cable, as sold to Toyota, Scion, and Lexus dealers for all 1996 and later vehicles. When used with Toyota Techstream software, it provides the diagnostic, customization, active test, and utility functions described in Toyota’s repair manuals, as well as ECU flash reprogramming capability.

There are two versions of the kit: TSLP2SW01 ($1,345), with the cable and a one-year Professional Diagnostic subscription to Toyota’s Technical Information System (TIS, techinfo.toyota.com), and TSLP2AM01 ($445), with the cable only. With the cable-only kit, a separate TIS subscription (starting at $55 for two days) is required to download and activate the Techstream software. Both kits include a one-year warranty on the cable.

I bought a TSLP2AM01 kit from Toyota Approved Dealer Equipment, which is really Snap-on Business Solutions in Kenosha, Wisconsin (1-800-368-6787, option 1; no online ordering). The total cost, paid by credit card, was just under $500, including sales tax and UPS Ground shipping. If you want a tracking number, you have to call back a few days after ordering.

I used Techstream 11.30.137 with Microsoft Windows 10 (x64) under VMware Workstation 12.5, with the Mongoose connected as a pass-through USB device. (I didn’t try to reflash any ECUs, though.) Before installing Techstream, I installed MongoosePro driver 1.6.7.0 from the Downloads page at Drew Technologies.

There is more information on Toyota’s Techstream Lite site, and you can also buy a MongoosePro Toyota 2 directly from Drew Technologies for $495. In Europe, the diagnostic software is called Global Techstream (GTS), and Toyota sells a different vehicle interface module, TD3 TS2 System Bronze (€ 690); I haven’t tried these.

vvillovv, JayNWArk1977 and RCO like this.