1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

T-SB-0172-09 Combination Meter - Intermittent Display

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Patrick Wong, Jan 13, 2010.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So 6 days after giving the dealer the combination meter I'm told it is on back order. Meanwhile my Prius is roasting in the AZ sun. Any advice?

2. Oligarx

Oligarx New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'm new to this forum.
    On my 2011 Prius Dash lights are off (Speed, Odometer Gas ... all off)
    When I put my fingers on the buttons on steering wheel it lights up, also if I push eco/power mode those lights are on ... But speed, odometer are off....

Couldn't find recall or TSB.

What might be the problem?

Thank you.
    (I posted in different thread, sorry for duplicate)

UPDATE: I see mileage, hybrid battery powering... etc.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually you've turned the lights dimmer down to full low which is off.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2007 has 117K miles on the odometer. Today, for the first time, the combination meter did not work. I disconnected 12V power, waited a minute, then reconnected; and the combination meter started working again. I'm interested to see how long the meter will work before it fails again.

For comparison, this issue did not occur on my 2004, and I logged 231K miles before selling it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when it was really cold, and my daughters '08 wouldn't start due to a low 12v, the meter was blank. we charged the battery, and it started fine, but still no meter. but after a new battery, it came back, and good for about 6 weeks now.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  6. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Woohoo can I join this club? I just bought an 07 with 181000 miles... Or so it says. I have since learned the mileage on Blinky Blinky combo cluster Priuses is a bit of an estimate. Fascinating. The gauge blackness happened twice before, once after some trunk issues, i blamrd myself for not knowing how smart keys work, since I've been driving a 1995 Accord up until January. Second time was after disconnecting both batteries to change sparkies. Both times it "fixed" itself. Third time I was in a state park 200 miles from home, about 100 from the nearest big city. Poked the p button about twenty times in twenty ways.. at fist it was "it goes.. but no hud" mode.. then after a while I couldnt seem to get it "on" at all. And me with my winders down and the rain a coming! Had a fascinating chat with a lovely person at AAA trying to convey the fact that the park was not actually in a city, as such. I decided to guesstimate, and the process continued smoothly. I reckoned if they got curious the driver would call me direct. But after twenty minutes farting around the old prius started up with the go juice... Just no hud, no speedo. Finally figured out how roaming data works on my phone, downloaded a GPS app, set it in speedo mode, and propped it on my dash the whole way home. Now at home I read all these threads... Oh my oh my. When my Honda speedo quit I got a new cable off eBay and horked it into the engine myself ... Wasn't too much trubble. This here new world is a head scratcher tho.. and I have a typed my share of letters off of keyboards in a debugger screen. Finally I disconn the battery. . Oh what a Spark he puts off when you connect him back! Why not a throw switch? Any hoo.. the old machine started right and ready this time... So I learnt me lesson... Cars are computers now, so fixem like a computer. "Turn it off, then turn it back on. Might have to unplug the power supply for a few minutes. Yep.. sounds like yer caps might be goin bad... Gotta get a new board.. less you feel mighty handy with a soldering gun"... Well.. the other good thing about fixing computers... You can always just web search it and up pops a hunnert other folks with the same head scratcher, and a few smart folks who have fixed it. Looks like I'll order one of them new used parts for my new used car and have a dashboard party and get back on the regular. Thanks. (Hard to type normal on a phone keybd i have discovered)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, and all the best with all of that!(y)

8. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replace the gray caps next to the one you just added heat one side lean it one way then the other Intel it off

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. dbailey

dbailey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2007 with 226k, smart key but no navigation (I'm the second owner) - experienced the combination meter issue this morning for the first time. Did the same as you: disconnected the battery for about 30 s and then reconnected and everything worked. I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

I had the 12 V replaced yesterday at Pep Boys with a Bosch (considered the Optima, but couldn't pass up the special at Pep Boys for $175 including installation). I don't know if that is related, but noticed that several other drivers also experienced the combination meter issue following battery disconnect or replace. I drove it several times with no issues in between the battery replacement and the meter going dark this morning.

10. Phil Stasik

Phil Stasik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our 2014 Gen2 has been experiencing the CM blackout intermittently for months. It seems that lately, this has become more common. Since it appears that pEEf is no longer offering repairs, what is the state-of-the-art DIY fix?

11. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    2014 gen 2?

Phil Stasik and cwerdna like this.
  12. Phil Stasik

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops. I meant 2004 Gen 2. Good catch!

13. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty much, you can either:
    • Repair it yourself by removing the CM, pulling the old capacitors and replacing them as listed in the meter DIY repair thread. Nearly free, only the cost of capacitors and your time if you have soldering equipment.
    • Buy refurbished CM pre-programmed with mileage from Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries, $150 after core return.
    • Have Matt or Module Repair Pro repair your meter, $125 or so with more inconvenience.
    Toyota, at least in my area, shows all different versions of the CM (apparently it's been redesigned numerous times) as unavailable. Even if you wanted Toyota to do it, they might not have the parts anymore.

14. Phil Stasik

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for summarizing that! This has been weird, as others have seen. I really thought that it was a bad relay, but our CM blackout symptoms have precisely matched others with the board failure...so it's likely a board failure. In just a few weeks, I've gone from the rare failure to rare operation of the display.

I surely cannot complain about my "old reliable" Prius.

15. DaveinTO

DaveinTO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My combo meter has been intermittent for about a year now on a 2008 Prius with 184K miles. The car also has the "won't shut off" issue most of the time when it's cold and damp so I would like to take some time and get it fixed. Has anybody tried the approach that removes the dash to access the combo meter panel and then just replacing the capacitor? There are links and youtubes that the chat will not let me include in the post.

Of course to get to the meter one must disassemble the entire dash, which does intimidate me but I think I can do it in about 3 hours (not 30 minutes like the guy who made the youtube video)

Any luck with just replacing the capacitor?

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To do a good job, I believe there are at least three caps that need replacing. The information below has all the details.
    You just need to go to the top of page 5 of this thread to read about someone doing just that.

This thread: combination meter repair - DIY has all the information you should need to make a lasting repair.

Post #71 (on page 4) has a nice summary of what needs to be done.

Hope this helps.

17. RD James

RD James New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New owner of a 2006 Prius that has the meter problem. There are so many youtube videos on disassembling the dash and replacing the $1 capacitor that I feel the need to give it a shot and, if it fails to solve the problem buy a meter for $314 from Toyota Parts Deal
    The problemis that they part number they say fits a 2006 (83291-47230) is not the one listed by Toyota, .83291-47232.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you did read post #133 by oldtechaa in this thread as quoted below, you don't need to bother with Toyota Parts deal, you can either get a rebuilt unit with core return (and programmed with your correct ODO) for $150 or pay $125 for Matt to repair your existing failed unit. Either way, it will be better than new and comes with a lifetime warranty.

19. checho 5150

checho 5150 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    mother got the car in '06 with 3 miles on it. we were not notified about this also the headlight issue.

20. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So did the problem show up before you were out of warranty? Also when you light problem do you mean the iffy HID Lights?