1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tail light out and inspection is due...DIY?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Julia2001, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm reading in the forum that the tail light bulb replacement is not difficult, but I have yet to find complete instructions. I'm hoping this is another DIY project for me to complete as my inspection is due this month and I would like to fix the issue ASAP.

Can someone point me to a DIY step-by-step, please, if there is one handy?

Thanks a million.

Julia

2. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An "uh oh" addendum to my previous post...when I went outside to check the lights again (I had left them on briefly), the right headlight bulb was also out. However, it went back on and stayed on.

So - apparently I have a tail light bulb out and I may be losing the headlight bulb on the opposite side of the car.

I have been reading that I need to buy a 168 bulb for the tail light and that it is DIY-able. The headlight sounds like a bigger, more expensive problem.

Right so far?

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The rear tail light is so easy to do it's probably hard to find a how to video or instruction for it... All you do is open your back hatch and open the plastic door in your car that's directly behind the tail light and reach in and unscrew light buld counter-clockwise one quarter turn then pull out. Then remove old bulb and put new bulb in and reverse previous steps.

Let's hope the headlight problem is just a random anomaly that most electronic devices do from time to time. The headlight requires partial unbolting of your front bumper and it's more easily done by people with smaller hands. Here's the how-to video for it:

Julia2001 likes this.
  4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tail light is a 5-minute job. Anyone should be able to do it. If you can do an oil change you can do the headlights as well. I have HID, so I had to remove the bumper and the entire headlight assembly - not sure what you have. It took me about an hour. Do it while the weather is still nice out.

5. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you both very much for your help.

PriusCamper, thanks so much for the great video.

Here comes the stupidest question ever asked in these forums...

I was reading last night that if I have fog lights I have one type of bulb, and if I don't, I have a different type.....easy enough.

However...I'm not sure whether I have fog lights or not. If they're separate little lights below the regular headlight assembly, then I don't. If they are PART OF the regular headlight assembly then I could and just not realize it, though i dont see a switch for fog lights inside the vehicle. This car has everything else imaginable so thats why I'm wondering...

I want to purchase the correct bulbs....

Thank you again...

Julia

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fog lights are separate circular light assemblies and located below the front bumper.

The fog light switch is located on the headlight stalk and rotates.

It sounds like your car has regular halogen headlights and does not have fog lights.

7. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much, Patrick.

Yikes - I just watched that video of the woman replacing the headlight bulb. Looks kind of ....... umm....beyond me!

It is ridiculous! Who designed that nonsense? It's just a lightbulb, after all. It shouldn't require a complete dismantling of the front of the car. Sheesh. :eek:

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    the tail light bulb you want costs about a buck and looks like this
    [​IMG]

except smaller.

there is a curved plastic cover that comes right off when you push a tab.
    Then you are looking at the back of your bulbs they make about a 1/4 turn and come out.
    You pull the little bulb out an put in the new one and do the opposite 1/4 turn and struggle with the cover.

Julia2001 likes this.
  9. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, good news (I think?)....I do have fog lights. So this is an easier fix on the headlights, correct?

10. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, Jimbo!

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the HID bulbs are more costly and potentially more finicky as more can go wrong. If a bulb is not working the problem might be the bulb or might be the electronics producing high voltage for the bulb.

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced my tail lights with (red) LEDs (see signature for a link). I am very pleased with them. It was a simple job.

I replaced my head light, without removing the bumper, just a few rivety-things. Took me about 10 minutes.

Where in Maine are you? I am in Edgecomb, if you need help.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea and she's doing it the easy way... If you take it to the dealer and they do it by the book they take the front end off entirely rather than just unbolting one side of it. As you might imagine this kind of repair is a money maker.

It's understandable though... I mean getting everything to fit into such a small car is not easy!

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Julia2001: Maybe your headlight is fine and it was just an anomaly related to the current geomagnetic storm? We lost electricity in our neighborhood this morning because of it and the Cafe I was at this morning lost their internet because of all the power surges related to parts of the grid going down... I'm also having problems with early signs of HV battery deterioration right now as well...

More info on the storm we're having right now:

As expected, a coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 3rd at approximately 1200 UT (5 am PDT). The impact induced measurable ground currents in the soil of northern Scandinavia and sparked bright auroras around the Arctic Circle. At the time this alert is being issued, a moderately strong (Kp=6) geomagnetic storm is underway. Check http://spaceweather.com for photos and updates.

15. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! Cool! (y)

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Julia, your car is a 2007. Mine is a 2008 and I have HID headlights (there is a color shift when I first turn them on at night). My HID lamps burned out at ~65,000 miles, which using some back of the envelope calculations, is consistent with the typical lifetime of ~6000-7000 hours. Taking the front bumper off is not really a big deal.

17. kingair157

kingair157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just went through this.

The HID lights fail in a different way than a house light bulb. Initially they will blink off. You can cycle your light switch and they'll come back on. After a while you'll also notice they are dimmer than normal. The failures also become more frequent as time goes on.
    Dealer quote parts and labor for two lights was $600.
    I watched a few videos on YouTube and bought the lights on Amazon.
    After watching several videos I decided to try the replacement without removing the bumper.
    It was easier than I expected. Took about 30-40 minutes for both lights and cleaning all the grime off my hands. I really don't like to work on cars, but saving a few hundred dollars motivated me.
    My wife is so glad we can drive at night now. :)

PriusCamper likes this.
  18. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! I'm planning to change all four bulbs...two in the tail lights and the two headlights, based on everything I've read here in threads old and new over the weekend.

Quick question, just to confirm....

If I have fog lights, which I do, then I buy the $55 HID bulbs shown on Amazon, correct?

I just don't want to spend over 100 bucks on light bulbs only to find that they're the wrong bulbs for the job!

Thank you all very much.

Julia

19. kingair157

kingair157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you go on Amazon and input Prius Headlight, it will bring up a guide for your make and model to make sure you are purchasing the correct bulb.
    Best of luck.

20. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much. It's very kind of you to offer the suggestion.

I think I have read on this forum, however, that if you have fog lights on your vehicle it requires one type of bulb for the headlight, and if you do not have fog lights a different type of bulb is required. The Amazon filter doesn't allow for this information so that is what I'm looking for.

Thank you again. I very much appreciate your response.

Julia