1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tail light out and inspection is due...DIY?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Julia2001, Sep 2, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just a thought -- perhaps a call to your friendly local Toyota dealership with your car's VIN will let them look up the type of replacement bulb needed for the front lights.

2. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much, Sage. I hadn't thought of that. I appreciate the suggestion.

They might not be that friendly, though. They seem to be a tad offended that I'm DIY'ing stuff on my first Toyota. ;)

He will probably say "You can't change those bulbs yourself, Ma'am. We can make an appointment to do that if you'd like."

And then I can say, "Yeah, that's what you said about the new key fob and guess what?". :)

usnavystgc likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you want to look up or buy parts then call the dealer and ask for the parts department, not the service department. Good luck!

SageBrush likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First I should say, that my mechanical aptitude approaches that of a mouse: pretty dumb, but fairly tenacious.
    I was curious just how hard it is to get at the headlight bulb, and had a go at it this morning. Long story short -- it now takes me about two minutes to remove the driver side bulb, (I did not try the other one) but it took a good 15-30 minutes the first attempt. My car is 8 years old, so the housing cap was the biggest chore to remove. Lucky for me I have small hands for a fellow, so I was able to reach down and put my entire hand on the cap, press and then it finally rotated the bit needed to remove it. Once you get the cap off, the rest is a downhill job.

Orientation and lingo:
    front: looking from the back to the front of the car
    up and down: as expected
    lateral: towards the outer rim of the housing
    counter/clockwise: looking at the head (or cap) of the bolt.

I first watched this video a couple of times. Thanks Jay!

Jay was unable to video the retaining clip holding the bulb in place, so here is a picture:
    The picture is taken after the housing cap, power cable, and bulb have been disconnected and removed/moved.

Headlight bulb Housing.jpg

This picture is taken looking towards the front of the car, at an oblique angle.
    small arrows outline part of the outer housing;
    Inside the housing you can see the hole (outlined by a red circle) where the bulb fits in, and a retaining clip outlined by yellow (and a bit of red) lines below the hole and above a rectangular metal. The hole and clip look like they are eccentric in the housing, but that is an artefact of my oblique view, they are actually in the middle of the housing. You can also see white twisted braid near the small red arrows. This is the electric cable that has been disconnected from the bulb and moved to the side.

Once the new bulb is inserted (just rotate it while pushing a little until it locks in place), rotate the clip upwards. The sides of the clip will hug the bulb, and the last bit of straight clip (now above the bulb) hook on to (not in picture) little arms. The terminal little squares are for you to grab hold of. Each clip side is latched on to its arm by pulling it lateral (outwards) a bit, then forwards and the letting the arm spring naturally inwards

usnavystgc and Julia2001 like this.
  5. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Phenomenal post! Thank you so much! Now do the other side, please. :LOL:

Just kidding!

Wow, this is really wonderful, SageBrush. What a great job you did refining this whole process with the photo at the end. Just wonderful.

Thank you very much!

Julia