1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tail light tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by chinito77, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the silver trim on the tail light of my 2012 Barcelona red Prius is a little bit too shiny for my taste. I would like to tint it bit but I'm unsure of which route to go with? Films would be nice because I can take it off come inspection time but it's pricey. I have also seen spray cans like night shade and plastic dip based ones that seem to do the job but they are too dark. I'm not trying to get a ticket here, just want it slightly darker.

Anyone have personal experiences with these? Pictures would be appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Light smoke tints should do the trick.

Smoked LaminX (blocks 17% of light) below. LaminX has lighter versions (Tint and Gunsmoke) if you want even lighter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks good thanks! Where did you buy your Lamin X and did you do this yourself?

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the Valenti lights. Upgrading to full LED taillights is the way to go if you have the funds, but some here go with tints as a cheap way to give their cars a different look.

5. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ive tinted my taillights on my 2011 and 2012.. Total cost was around 50 for the tint and another 50 for a tint shop to install.. I get mine from a guy named Bluebatmobile.. He sells on other forums.. Check out my progress threads.. I have 2 threads.. One for my 2011 and one for my 2012.. Tell him I sent you!!

I would post pics or links but I'm on my phone right now..

6. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks all, I ordered the Lamin X (Tint) for my headlight and taillights. I'll be doing this myself but I'll wait until the weather gets warmer. I think I spent all last night looking at Valenti lights and now I'm seriously considering the SB but man are they expensive. Does anyone know who much they ran during the "sale"? I'll see how the Lamin X thing goes first.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not that much cheaper at $370. They used to be more expensive at $420 when they first came out. There are cheaper full-LED taillights out there but you get what you pay for.

8. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    fyi, its the more complex and complicated mod for taillights. it was utter frustration putting them on them. i used laminx 5%. see my icon picture. have you previous vinyl or wrapping experience? the problem is that they are cut exactly to shape. thus, you have very little room for error, especially with the prius' many curve lines.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hence why some people prefer to get a roll of uncut film and stretch/shape to fit.

10. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wotcher, what you did there looks good. I have no experience with tinting but those YouTube vids seem pretty clear on what to do. I want those Valenti lights but I will definitely have to find someone who can install those for me. That's pretty expensive but I plan on selling my iPad on craigslist to cover the costs.

11. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is why I always pay a tiny shop to do it!!

12. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i warned you! go look at the lamin website, prius difficulty rating is the highest they have.

i must have applied and reapplied one tail light at least 15 times before i got tired. Then i had alex @ fuzion do other one. he echoed 32kcolors' thoughts.

13. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used Lamin-X film and had it professionally installed about two years ago. Still looks great, hasn't peeled.