1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tailgaters - How to hypermile?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dodgerblue18, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Slowing gradually != to using a brake. It means bumping the cruise down, on MPH at a time over a mile... two miles... more.

2. Jeriame

Jeriame New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't hate me for what I am about to say but I didn't buy my Prius based on the environment, I bought it because it is an efficient vehicle and fun to drive.

Anyways, following large vehicles, especially semis, on the highway is a good way to increase efficiency due to aerodynamics: the vehicle is literally breaking through the air causing a dead-air "suction" behind it... putting any car there, especially the Prius, negates the "hwy mpg" barrier by greatly reducing drag on the car, allowing you to achieve much higher fuel efficiency on the highway.

3. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree this manuver may not agitate most decent drivers/occational tailgators, but you don't know if the one tailgating you is at what stage of his rage. If he's already mad at you for being slow blocking his way, no one can tell what he'll do next if he finds out you are slowing down even more.

I'd do this manuver only if he has clear path to pass you easily. If not, my worry still stands.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So why bother saying it?

This has been explained ad nauseam in various forums on PC and the only solid argument you'll hear against this practice is the rock chip and safety issue. I agree with you. :)

5. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's VERY RARE that someone would tailgate you if he has a clear path to pass you in the next lane. If you're in the right lane going slow with the middle and left lanes very busy at much higher speeds, those cars just entered the highway behind you wanting to merge to the other lanes would find it VERY DIFFICULT and dangerous. I suggest you speed up, give him a better merging speed to switch lane, then you can slow down to you own liking. You never know if you generosity of sacrificing a fraction of your mpg would possible save somebody else's job or even life in case the tailgator actually had legitimate reason to wanting to go fast.

Ditto if you're in the middle lane. If you're in the left lane then you deserve to be shot at (at least with angry stares).

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like DumbMike and teesal are afraid of too many random things. How do they ever manage the courage to get out of bed every day? Eggs can kill them before driving safely in the slow lane!!!

2 people like this.
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Maine Exam Handbook advises gradually to reduce speed to allow the tailgater to pass. Obviously if they can't pass then slowing down is bad driving. Instead just maintain speed, let them wind themselves up and watch them go.

1 person likes this.
  8. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been taking note from the other threads regarding such comment. I think my general conclusion is that people who drive in the Los Angeles area agree with me. People in other areas (except for teesal) agree with you.

But, of course, you have overstated my position. And I will say it again. When driving in traffic in Los Angeles, it is better to drive safely, which includes letting tailgaters pass you, whether that means you getting out of their lane or otherwise.

If you don't think this is a good idea, I'll let you keep your opinion.

It has nothing to do with courage of getting out of bed. Or did I overstate your position?

I also saw this article on the internet. It was saying ways to prevent road rage:

"If another driver is driving aggressively, try to get out of their way - by slowing down if necessary. If someone behind you is speeding, get out of their lane if you safely can. Don't be stubborn and make a point by staying where you are. Try to avoid eye contact with an aggressive driver."

Dumb Mike

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Oooooh. Clearly you think a very large percentage of LA drivers are violently crazed, while the rest of the United States is reasonably safe. New York, Chicago have no road rage -- just your precious home town. Do you also choose to wear tin foil on your head to guard against LA specific radio bombarded paranoia? Here's the truth: if you drive a tad slowly in the right hand lane, some people will catch up to your car. This is not necessarily tailgating. The more people slow down, the safer driving is. That is the critical verifiable statistic. Period. I suggest you rethink your aggressive driving style. Sometimes cars will get a little close while waiting to pass. But there is absolutely no need to worry about getting "shot". Yeesh.

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Where did I suggest agitate them more?

In case you misinterpretered it, I'm going about my business driving, drivers behind generally have plenty of opportunities to pass me - I make sure to give them an opportunity....they might have to wait five seconds to pass. I let them pass.

Many of the tailgaters I encounter would not happen if they looked ahead on the freeway....who told them all lanes and the shoulder are passing lanes?

My driving is fine with the vast majority...only the road rager has issues with that precious five seconds wasted (if that)...modifying my driving for the ragers is giving in to a bully....do you see 18-wheelers and other big-rigs bullied? ;)

Where you get ignoring a tailgater that's has plenty of opportunities to pass as passive aggression beats me. And as far as reporting them, why is that a problem?

1 person likes this.
  11. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you want to debate the issue, bring out your convincing arguments. Irrelevant comparisons and name callings do not make good arguments.

The point here is not about whether you should be "afraid" and "cave in" to tailgaters, it's about whether you should be stupid enough to agitate and confront mentally ill people. If you want to be macho and brave to do that, be my guest. But may I suggest you visit your psychiatrist often.

I've done my best and now it's up to you. Good luck and good bye everybody.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You must be thinking of the BC era -- Before Cellphones.

Now it is quite common.

13. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Here's a thought: turn on your emergency flashers - that way, he'll notice you, think maybe you've got car trouble, and safely pass you when he can. Non-confrontational.

(Yeah, it's usually a guy - testosterone, y'know)

kenoarto and Chuck. like this.
  14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are the relevant the facts: 1) LA is NOT home to any unique form of super aggressive drivers. 2) Slow drivers are NOT passive aggressors. 3) Speeding drivers are NOT displaying road rage, they're just driving fast 4) Driving slowly in the right hand lane is the ONLY correct thing to do. 5) Speeding up or moving left (faster lane) to attempt to allow faster moving traffic is the WRONG thing to do. 6) teesal needs to calm down (on chat sites he can get as angry as he wants. but on the highway he needs to remain calm, cool and collected)

1 person likes this.
  15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm glad advise like this was disregarded by law-abiding citizens in the Old Wild West, Rosa Parks, Gandhi.

Assertion is nothing like agitation, no matter how much teeasal attempts to say otherwise.

Sad - it looks like his last post is a good example of agitation, playing on emotions.

I don't believe his goodbye, or letting lunatics run the asylum (or roads).

kenoarto likes this.
  16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm cool with you getting a Prius to save money.

On the semi-drafting, please don't endorse it!

Urban traffic is too dynamic to tailgate a semi long enough to benefit fuel saving. On rural highways/interstates where you can, most truckers at their forums have alerts each other to shake drafters off by swerving, varying speed, etc. Contrary to media reports, Mythbusters, and hypermiling haters, semi-drafting is rare and bad PR. For more info, check out CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling.

17. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <Quote regarding the frequency of tailgating unless there is room to pass--i.e., more now, less previously;>

This is dead-on accurate. And it points out that there is more than one type of tail-gater; there's the one who has to 'make a statement', following on your bumper, regardless of what the ultimate cause is; and there are the (aforementioned) distracted, self-absorbed types, who aren't consciously tail-gating (they're not mad at you personally, or mad at all, just oblivious...), they just drive until someone or something in front of them slows them down, then it's gabblegabblegabble until (a) the person in front gets fed up and moves out, (b) they cause an accident, or (c) they belatedly realize they missed their exit, swerve wildly across three lanes of traffic, stop and pick up the phone they dropped during all this and apologize to their BFF, resume conversation, and back up to the exit they just missed.

In the case of the idiot, it usually works to get out of their way and let them become someone elses problem. Which they will; ergo, problem not solved. In the case of the vengeful <adjective/noun>, this may not work. Trouble is, you cannot always (but often you can) tell the difference. My experience is that there are far more of the former than of the latter.

And, to the inevitable retort to the effect of 'just speed up and go with the flow,' well, in the case of the cell-phone idiot described above, it doesn't work. They'll drive faster, completely unaware of it, until something gets in their way. In the case of the lunatic out for blood, whatever it takes to get out of their way is probably worth it. Least of all of my temporary concerns would be a few mpg's.

18. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll trade your tailgatters for my Aggies.(texas A&M) every semster the population of my city (94,000) increases by about 38,000 students. this doesn't count the ones that live here (10,000). this year 8,100 of them are freshmen most of which are coming from out of town. they are new to the area, self absorbed and not paying attention, they present a major road hazard. I drive for work and see students texting, studying, eating/drinking and yapping on the phone. and then there are the international students from the far east that aren't used to driving on the left. all this mixed in and makes for an interesting drive around town.

this time year is especially rough, football (not soccer) game wekends. we get another influx of 60,000 people here for the game. all the locals know enough to stay home and off the roads. LOL

one of our major roads is in the top 50 for most congested in the state.

we (locals) all crab about the students and their driving but grin and bear it because it keeps the economy going. all in all though it is a great place to live.

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi priustexasbob,

According to one Aggie joke, they are quite green....they dry the toilet paper on the clothesline. :D

20. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob hit on the tip that I use the most in Atlanta, where the average traffic moves very quickly (albeit without the trigger-happy attitude that may exist in LA). Especially on the interstates, I'll stay in the right lane and behind another slow moving vehicle. Other drivers may be irritated, but not with me. :) In other cases, I generally stay with flow of traffic.