1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taillights, License plate bulbs, DTRL Don't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Austin lavicka, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Austin lavicka

Austin lavicka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got sick of the factory amber light in the glovebox so I decided to put in an LED strip. I think where I went wrong was, I cut through the factory harness leading to the old light, in which I'm guessing the two wires made contact. I checked out the 10 AMP TAIL fuse and it needed to be replaced, so I went and did so. However after replacing the fuse, the taillights, license plate lights, and daytime running lights don't turn on. I tried a couple different fuses, and wiggling it around to see if it wasn't making contact... nothing.. Any help would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED as driving at night now is quite a hazard! Thanks!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so you can get the electrical wiring diagram and study how the tail light circuit is configured.

Then use a digital multimeter to measure voltage to body ground, starting with the fuse supplying the circuit. Follow the circuit to the tail lights and figure out where voltage to body ground no longer is present. Somewhere between the last point where voltage is present and the first point where voltage is no longer present is where the fault lies.

3. Austin lavicka

Austin lavicka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the response. I will definitely look into that, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about what was mentioned. Google is my friend though... Are there any other fuses that could have been blown along with the 10 AMP TAIL one?

4. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Austin.
    I think you still have a short circuit where you installed the led strip..
    Only one fuse can blow (go open) at a time.
    If you found a blown tail light fuse I might asume that your led strip project is somehow wired via glove box light circuit to tail light circuit..(strange and doughtfull)
    If after you installed tail light fuse you then blew drl, license plate circuit fuse this indicates your initial short circuit is still present.
    I assume all circuits worked previously before led strip project began in glove box?

Be aware if the glove box light has 2 wires and I think it does. one wire is switched 12 volts the other wire is ground. and your led strip light probably has two wires one of which may be connected to led strip metal ground?
    So if said led strip has any metal in its construction and if led strip has one of the wires attached to that metal (internally). and that metal is making contact with prius metal ground. and you have glove box lamp positive wire connected to led strip metal ground: = that is were your short circuit is...

I now have to ask have you by any chance wired additional led strips into tail light and or license plate circuits?

I will pause and post now while I look at the genII prius wiring diagram to see what up stream fuse you might have blown .. Be back within the hour with fuse source and destination information for you..

5. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok Austin.

I've been reviewing schematics. power to the 10 amp tail fuse is provided by relay t-lp (tail-lightpower). The only upstream fuse from the relay is the main 120 amp main fuse link for the entire car....!!

The 10 amp tail fuse does indeed provide power to the glove box lamp as well as left and right combination tail lamps , left and right front clearance lamps and left and right license plate lamps. headlight leveler, hazard switch light and nothing else..
    Left and right clearance lamps must be the daytime running lamps? I don't see any other connections to the tail fuse.

When tail lamp relay is energized power is supplied via 10 tail fuse to glove box lamp continously !!
    The glove box light is then energized by switching ground to lamp via glovebox switch...

If your sure you have a good tail fuse (10 amp) and have no tail light then the contacts in relay t-lp are fried open and you will need new relay..I

Now for the rest of the story light emitting diodes (led's) are polarity sensitive. positive voltage must go to the anode side of the led and negitive must go the the cathode side of the diode.. There could indeed be a polarity protection diode inside your led strip (somewhat doughtfull but possible) to short reverse voltage installations....

Anyway it is clear to me that the positive side 12 volt glove box wire is feed to ground either through led protection diode (if one exists it will be perminately shorted now) or else throw reverse wired led strip metal mounting strip..

I just looked for t-lp relay it is not under the hood (engine compartment) .. probably relay is near 10 amp tail fuse inside prius...
    Let me know how you make out..

6. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again austin
    relay t-lp supplies power to both tail fuse and 7.5amp pannel lights fuse (shifter light, main power switch light, and something called pattern switch light, headlight beam level control switch light, and combination switch lights.

You better fix short at led strip before energizing replacement relay...
    Most likely you have the wires reversed..
    Once you buy new relay it would be a good idea to put 1amp fuse in place of 10amp till you get led strip short taken care of...

As long as you dont turn on the parking/drl/tail lights 1amp fuse will be enough to run led strip lighting..and prevent damage to the new relay should there still be a short at the glove box/led strip..